Re: [podcasters] Syndication Agreement

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2008
      There's also a book called _Getting Permission_ from Nolo Press that
      has a lot of advice and legal boilerplate for reuse of intellectual
      property. I haven't read through my copy in a while, but I know there
      were agreements for merchandising, for music use, etc., so I'd be very
      surprised if there wasn't one for syndication.

      If you're planning on letting people play your stuff for free (and
      good on ya), then that's probably all you need. If money is involved,
      however, it's _probably_ well worth your time to get a lawyer. An
      entertainment lawyer might work, or an intellectual property lawyer.
      Wherever you start, though, a _good_ lawyer should tell you if he or
      she isn't the right person for this particular problem, and help to
      refer you somewhere else.

      On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM, R Stull <tyerivergap@...> wrote:
      > I bought copy of Business and Legal Forms for photographers by Tad Crawford (I got mine thru B&H Photo on line). It comes with a book and the forms on CD. The Property release form would probably work with just a little tweaking.
      >
      > Robert.
      > http://www.gmoti com

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Mike Wills
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2008
        JT is an ambulance chaser (his own words).

        On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Andy Bilodeau <andycast@...> wrote:

        > Jersey Todd is a REAL lawyer and a podcaster... maybe he can do some
        > pro-bono work for you... maybe some Sonny Bono work too. ;-)
        >
        > http://www.jerseytoddshow.com/
        >
        > Good luck and congrats!
        >
        > Dr. Floyd rulez!
        >
        > Andy Bilodeau(aka andycaster)
        >
        > On Sep 12, 2008, at 12:19 PM, G wrote:
        >
        > > We've had more and more interest lately from radio stations who'd
        > > like to syndicate The Radio
        > > Adventures Of Dr. Floyd on their stations (two requests alone this
        > > week). We're signed up
        > > through PRX.org and we've had a very small amount of people go
        > > through there. Most of
        > > these requests are from Public Stations or College Shows who don't
        > > have any sort of budget
        > > to pay for the syndication.
        > >
        > > We really like the idea of just letting them broadcast the shows
        > > for free, as it's publicity and
        > > helps spread the word. However we'd like to come up with some sort
        > > of 'agreement' form
        > > that they'd fill out and and then send to us before we allow them
        > > to braodcast our show. The
        > > agreement would, among other things, have them agree that they
        > > cannot edit the shows in
        > > anyway and if we ever were able to secure real life 'syndication'
        > > they understand they MAY not
        > > be able to broadcast our shows anymore.
        > >
        > > Any thoughts on where could get something like that drawn up for a
        > > relatively low amount of
        > > cash short of a lawyer? And if a lawyer's the only place what type?
        > > Entertainment lawyer?
        > >
        > > Thanks!

        Mike Wills
        mike@...
        Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
        Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
        Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills

        Podcasts:
        Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
        Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

      • Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2008
          On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 9:19 AM, G <grant@...> wrote:
          > Any thoughts on where could get something like that drawn up for a
          > relatively low amount of
          > cash short of a lawyer? And if a lawyer's the only place what type?
          > Entertainment lawyer?

          You want an entertainment or IP lawyer, preferably one that's savvy
          about new media. That makes me think of one person:
          http://www.vogelelaw.com/

          Colette Vogele -- tell her "hello" from me.

          --
          Matthew Wayne Selznick
          Author, Podcaster
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "G" <grant@...> wrote:
            >... we'd like to come up with some sort of 'agreement' form
            > that they'd fill out and and then send to us before we
            > allow them to braodcast our show. The
            > agreement would, among other things, have them agree
            > that they cannot edit the shows in
            > anyway and if we ever were able to secure real life
            > 'syndication' they understand they MAY not
            > be able to broadcast our shows anymore.

            I'm coming into this discussion a little late and you might have
            already figured it out by now, but just in case...

            Is there any verbiage on http://creativecommons.org/ that could help?

            Morven

            www.morvenwestfield.com
            www.myspace.com/morvenwestfield
            http://podcast.morvenwestfield.com (podcast)
          • Nobilis
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
              I think what you're looking for is a contract giving them a
              limited-term, renewable license for your work. Any time you want to
              stop them from broadcasting, you opt out of renewing the license.

              On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM, morvenwestfield
              <morven@...> wrote:
              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "G" <grant@...> wrote:
              >>... we'd like to come up with some sort of 'agreement' form
              >> that they'd fill out and and then send to us before we
              >> allow them to braodcast our show. The
              >> agreement would, among other things, have them agree
              >> that they cannot edit the shows in
              >> anyway and if we ever were able to secure real life
              >> 'syndication' they understand they MAY not
              >> be able to broadcast our shows anymore.
              >
              > I'm coming into this discussion a little late and you might have
              > already figured it out by now, but just in case...
              >
              > Is there any verbiage on http://creativecommons.org/ that could help?
              >
              > Morven
              >

              > www.morvenwestfield.com
              > www.myspace.com/morvenwestfield
              > http://podcast.morvenwestfield.com (podcast)

              -----
              "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
              in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662