PodcastStation Out Of Busines

  • bcmurraylax
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 28, 2008
      Sad to see the PodcastStation software is no longer being sold or
      supported.

      Anyone know of a user run support forum?

      Thanks
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 28, 2008
        Bummer, I was just introduced to that software.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 29, 2008
          Oh really - sad to hear. The software was never really for me - it was
          more aimed at live-broadcasting, I think - but Rick and his colleague
          (don´t remember name) were very committed during the two first
          Podcasting Expos in Ontario and I really thought they would do well.

          Karin Høgh
          Company: Lydhenter CVR: 29361479
          Journalist, blogger; podcaster
          Podcasting-consultant
          Mob. + 45 21 27 60 92
          Skype: karinhoegh
          www.podblog.dk <http://www.podblog.dk/>
          www.skolepod.dk <http://www.skolepod.dk/>
          http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/239/977

        • David
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 29, 2008
            ok,, so what do we do if we have to reload the computer?
          • Mike Wills
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 29, 2008
              So... I was looking at buying this in a couple months when I got back from
              my hiaus.... guess not anymore...

              Their website does mention 10 additional registration keys.

              So now the question is, what can we use now? I had problems with Castblaster
              the last time I tried it thus why I quit using it. Plus I only have one more
              activation on it and I change my computer so much, it just isn't worth it.

              On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 6:15 PM, David <mrhardrockcafe@...> wrote:

              > ok,, so what do we do if we have to reload the computer?

              Mike Wills
              mike@...
              Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
              Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
              Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills

              Podcasts:
              Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
              Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

            • Noble Acuff
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
                Does anyone on the list know the founders / owners of PodcastStation? I
                wonder if they'd consider open-sourcing the application since they're at
                the point of exiting the business. I don't use the software myself, but
                it sounds like there are some fans who might be able to take up the
                torch and build a community around it.

                --

                ___________________________________

                Noble Acuff
                cell: (562) 972-4935
                email: noble@... <mailto:noble@...>

                Check out my blog at http://nobleacuff.com
              • Robert Rowen
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
                  The Podcast Station®
                  User Support Group <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/podcaststation/>

                  was just put up. Contains manuals, links and a compilation of tech
                  notes from Audion, also

                  An FAQ: Excerpts from Podcast Station's Chief Troubleshooter's Email
                  <http://www.libraryautomation.com/podcaststation/>

                  .

                  I understand that they wanted improvements under Vista that would have
                  been expensive to add tho I've been using Podcast Station with 64 bit
                  Vista for months , 15 podcasts up at http://nymas.org/podcasts.html
                  <http://nymas.org/podcasts.html> .

                  This withdrawal is a special pity [:(] given its #1 rating with Top
                  Ten's review of the most recent version of Podcast Station.

                  If there are any moves toward shareware, freeware or open source, we'll
                  try to add the news to The Podcast Station® User Support Group
                  <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/podcaststation/>

                • Kevin Carlson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
                    You can type the domain name into http://allwhois.com/ to get contact information.
                    Looks like the site is owned by Pangistics LLC out of Oregon...

                    Does anyone on the list know the founders / owners of PodcastStation? I
                    wonder if they'd consider open-sourcing the application since they're at
                    the point of exiting the business. I don't use the software myself, but
                    it sounds like there are some fans who might be able to take up the
                    torch and build a community around it.

                    --

                    ____________ _________ _________ _____

                    Noble Acuff
                    cell: (562) 972-4935
                    email: noble@nobleacuff. com <mailto:noble@nobleacuff. com>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
                      I sent an email off to the "info@..." address asking them
                      if they would consider open-sourcing the product. I also let them know
                      we've got a couple of forum threads going here in case they'd like to
                      join the conversation.

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Rowen" <bobyahoo@...> wrote:

                      > The Podcast Station®
                      > User Support Group <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/podcaststation/>
                      >
                      > was just put up. Contains manuals, links and a compilation of tech
                      > notes from Audion, also
                      >
                      > An FAQ: Excerpts from Podcast Station's Chief Troubleshooter's Email
                      > <http://www.libraryautomation.com/podcaststation/>
                      >
                      > .
                      >
                      > I understand that they wanted improvements under Vista that would have
                      > been expensive to add tho I've been using Podcast Station with 64 bit
                      > Vista for months , 15 podcasts up at http://nymas.org/podcasts.html
                      > <http://nymas.org/podcasts.html> .
                      >
                      > This withdrawal is a special pity [:(] given its #1 rating with Top
                      > Ten's review of the most recent version of Podcast Station.
                      >
                      > If there are any moves toward shareware, freeware or open source, we'll
                      > try to add the news to The Podcast Station® User Support Group
                      > <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/podcaststation/>

                    • Rick Savoia
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
                        Unfortunately, this is a classic example of why commercial software
                        should not be proprietary.

                        In the open source world an application that is dropped by a
                        developer can be picked up again by another developer, thus ensuring
                        some continued support and development for it (provided the
                        community has the interest to continue the project).

                        However, if a company that develops software with a proprietary
                        license model goes out of business be it PodcastStation or even
                        Microsoft (don't laugh, anything could happen), the users are stuck.
                        If their data format is proprietary as well, the users own
                        intellectual property is at risk.

                        Perhaps someone could buy the rights to PodcastStation and continue
                        development. Unless it is profitable to do so, I rather doubt it. I
                        certainly hope the owners of PodcastStation put their users first
                        and release it to the open source community. It would be the right
                        and honorable thing to do.

                        Rick Savoia
                        The Force Field podcast for IT service professionals
                        http://www.theforcefield.net

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Noble Acuff" <noble@...> wrote:

                        > I sent an email off to the "info@..." address asking them
                        > if they would consider open-sourcing the product. I also let them
                        know
                        > we've got a couple of forum threads going here in case they'd like
                        > join the conversation.
                        >

                        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Rowen" <bobyahoo@>
                        wrote:

                        > > The Podcast Station®
                        > > User Support Group
                        <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/podcaststation/>

                        > > was just put up. Contains manuals, links and a compilation of
                        tech
                        > > notes from Audion, also
                        > >
                        > > An FAQ: Excerpts from Podcast Station's Chief Troubleshooter's
                        Email
                        > > <http://www.libraryautomation.com/podcaststation/>
                        > >
                        > > .
                        > >
                        > > I understand that they wanted improvements under Vista that
                        would have
                        > > been expensive to add tho I've been using Podcast Station with
                        64 bit
                        > > Vista for months , 15 podcasts up at
                        http://nymas.org/podcasts.html
                        > > <http://nymas.org/podcasts.html> .
                        > >
                        > > This withdrawal is a special pity [:(] given its #1 rating
                        with Top
                        > > Ten's review of the most recent version of Podcast Station.
                        > >
                        > > If there are any moves toward shareware, freeware or open
                        source, we'll
                        > > try to add the news to The Podcast Station® User Support Group
                        > > <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/podcaststation/>

                      • Karin Høgh
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 31, 2008
                          Hi

                          I know one of the Podcast Station team - Rick Bidlack
                          <mailto:rick@...> rick@...

                          Their product was originally called Voxpro.

                          Karin