So...what's going on here? Feed Hijacking? How to solve.

  • G
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2008
      So in my utter conceit about our show, i've set up a Google Alert for references to "Dr.
      Floyd Podcast" and "The Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd". I find this a great way to see
      who's talking about the show and it's also fun because when someone does, I drop by
      their site and leave them a short note from a character thanking them for the mention.

      Anyway, for the past year I've been receiving these odd hits and I'm just now finding the
      time to try and do something about them. Here's a recent example....

      PROMO #041 "2008 Summer Reading Challenge!"
      By Alian(Alian)
      Burbank, CA, June 11, 2008 â€" The longest running, professionally produced, audio
      drama podcast, The Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd has announced the beginning of the
      Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd 2008 Summer Reading Challenge. ...
      From news - http://fromnews001.blogspot.com/

      Dr. Floyd Wins A Parsec!
      By Alian(Alian)
      On September 2, 2006, The Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd won a Parsec Award for
      excellence in Sci-Fi Podcasting. Thanks to Far Point Media for letting us use this clip.
      Listen to the entire show at www.ParsecAwards.com.
      SCROL News - http://scrolnews01.blogspot.com/

      EPISODE #507 "Look Who's Coming To Dinner!"
      By Alian(Alian)
      Call Us: 818-332-3053 - The Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd. ©2006 Doctor Floyd
      Industries - http://www.DoctorFloyd.com - info@... - November 26, 2006 -
      Written By Grant Baciocco & Doug Price - Music By Jody Whitesides ...
      older and more news - http://olderando.blogspot.com/

      PROMO #013 "Don Novello (Father Guido Sarducci) On Dr. Floyd!"
      By Alian(Alian)
      Don Novello (aka Father Guido Sarducci) joins the cast of The Radio Adventures Of Dr.
      Floyd as Galileo for episodes 414 & 415! Find out more at http://www.DoctorFloyd.com
      ©2006 Doctor Floyd Industries.
      Deep Blog - http://deepblog2.blogspot.com/

      This person (Alian) is just directly taking out posts and posting them to random blogspot
      blogs. What can be done about this, if anything, and what exactly is he doing? If you click
      through it looks like he's doing the same to a bunch of other RSS feeds as well.

      Just wondering if this is happening to everyone or just us and what can be done. Thanks!
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2008
        On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:50 AM, G <grant@...> wrote:

        > This person (Alian) is just directly taking out posts and posting them to random blogspot
        > blogs. What can be done about this, if anything, and what exactly is he doing? If you click
        > through it looks like he's doing the same to a bunch of other RSS feeds as well.

        Spamblogs. Very common practice. They're a variety of webfungus.
        (My term, coined a couple of years ago.) Spamblogs trawl the Web
        automatically for other people's content that _might_ be popular, they
        republish it, and they hope that their copying shows up high enough on
        the search engines that a few people accidentally click on their site
        by mistake. At which point, hey, maybe they'll click on one or two of
        the ads too.

        It's an insanely low-return way of making revenue, but they do it in
        huge volume. Hundreds or thousands of spamblogs at a time, each with
        possibly hundreds of posts each day, and crosslinking to original
        sources and each other for Google ranking. They don't care what your
        content is. They only care if it'll get someone to click to them
        accidentally once in a blue moon. (And if it doesn't, maybe the next
        post copying BoingBoing's content will.)

        > Just wondering if this is happening to everyone or just us and what can be done. Thanks!

        What can be done? Short of never publishing any public content (i.e.,
        cutting off your own head to spite them), not much. You can't really
        send them a cease-and-desist and threaten to fight them, because the
        humans are hard to find and most often in other countries with lots of
        syllables.

        My suggestion is just to ignore it. It doesn't do any real harm to
        your own discoverability, and the incidence of some actual would-be
        listener finding a spamblog instead of your own real site... Well,
        it'd be a statistical fluke. Webfungus is like kudzu in the South:
        it's everywhere, and at first you freak out that it's going to choke
        up the entire ecosystem. But somehow the trees keep growing and the
        houses stay visible, and after a while you just stop seeing it.

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Karen Cardoza
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 25, 2008
          Probably nothing to stop it but since you're using wordpress, it won't hurt
          to install the RSS Footer plugin which will at least link automatically
          back to your site. http://yoast.com/wordpress/rss-footer/

          Karen

          --
          Mrs. B (Karen)

          http://karenjcardoza.com
          (for links to PatriotWorld.com, Mrs. B's Patriot World Podcast, Patriots
          Training Camp Reports, Muse with Me Podcast, & The 25th Hour, )

        • Nobilis
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 25, 2008
            Yep. Make the fungus work for you.

            Mm, mushrooms! Except maybe they're not mushrooms, probably more like
            slime mold.

            It's a bit like creative commons licensing; there are going to be
            people who copy your work and redistribute it anyways, you might as
            well turn them into a means for getting new fans and listeners.

            On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Karen Cardoza <patriotworld@...> wrote:
            > Probably nothing to stop it but since you're using wordpress, it won't hurt
            > to install the RSS Footer plugin which will at least link automatically
            > back to your site. http://yoast.com/wordpress/rss-footer/

            -----
            "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
            in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662
          • Mike Wills
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2008
              I was going to mention something similar to what others have mentioned. I
              started putting a link to my website, subscribe links, and a link to the
              enclosure all at the top of the post. Now (depending on what they steal) it
              is at least branded to you.

              On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 11:50 PM, G <grant@...> wrote:

              > So in my utter conceit about our show, i've set up a Google Alert for
              > references to "Dr.
              > Floyd Podcast" and "The Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd". I find this a
              > great way to see
              > who's talking about the show and it's also fun because when someone does, I
              > drop by
              > their site and leave them a short note from a character thanking them for
              > the mention.
              >
              > Anyway, for the past year I've been receiving these odd hits and I'm just
              > now finding the
              > time to try and do something about them. Here's a recent example....
              >
              > PROMO #041 "2008 Summer Reading Challenge!"
              > By Alian(Alian)
              > Burbank, CA, June 11, 2008 ��" The longest running, professionally
              > produced, audio
              > drama podcast, The Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd has announced the
              > beginning of the
              > Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd 2008 Summer Reading Challenge. ...
              > From news - http://fromnews001.blogspot.com/
              >
              > Dr. Floyd Wins A Parsec!
              > By Alian(Alian)
              > On September 2, 2006, The Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd won a Parsec Award
              > for
              > excellence in Sci-Fi Podcasting. Thanks to Far Point Media for letting us
              > use this clip.
              > Listen to the entire show at www.ParsecAwards.com.
              > SCROL News - http://scrolnews01.blogspot.com/
              >
              > EPISODE #507 "Look Who's Coming To Dinner!"
              > By Alian(Alian)
              > Call Us: 818-332-3053 - The Radio Adventures Of Dr. Floyd. �(c)2006 Doctor
              > Floyd
              > Industries - http://www.DoctorFloyd.com - info@... - November
              > 26, 2006 -
              > Written By Grant Baciocco & Doug Price - Music By Jody Whitesides ...
              > older and more news - http://olderando.blogspot.com/
              >
              > PROMO #013 "Don Novello (Father Guido Sarducci) On Dr. Floyd!"
              > By Alian(Alian)
              > Don Novello (aka Father Guido Sarducci) joins the cast of The Radio
              > Adventures Of Dr.
              > Floyd as Galileo for episodes 414 & 415! Find out more at
              > http://www.DoctorFloyd.com
              > �(c)2006 Doctor Floyd Industries.
              > Deep Blog - http://deepblog2.blogspot.com/
              >

              > This person (Alian) is just directly taking out posts and posting them to
              > random blogspot
              > blogs. What can be done about this, if anything, and what exactly is he
              > doing? If you click
              > through it looks like he's doing the same to a bunch of other RSS feeds as
              > well.
              >
              > Just wondering if this is happening to everyone or just us and what can be
              > done. Thanks!

              Mike Wills
              mike@...
              Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
              Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
              Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills

              Podcasts:
              Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
              Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

            • G
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 26, 2008
                Thanks to all who replied. I shall check out that footer plugin to get the links back! I'd heard
                about Feed HiJacking awhile ago, so I just wanted to make sure this isn't what was
                happening.

                Thanks again!

                Grant