Re: [podcasters] Re: podcast quality not improving

  • John McJunkin
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 17, 2008
      Sorry for the slow response - I was away at the New Media Expo - very
      cool conference, as always. I learned a lot!

      The answer is the same for both questions - you'd always want to
      achieve maximum quality at the time of recording. There are some
      things that can be "fixed in the mix" and with clever editing, but
      there are many things that cannot. Actually, this is largely what my
      presentation at NME was all about.

      Absolutely - use a really good mic, and Audacity is the simplest,
      best solution in terms of freeware, for recording at home or on the
      road. I'm a big fan of the Audio-Technica AT-2020USB as a great USB
      mic. I reviewed it in the inaugural episode of my podcast, and even
      recorded the "tech" segment of that episode with the mic. If you'd
      like to hear it - this is the URL:

      http://techandtipspodcast.com/

      It's in the first episode, like I said. The better the raw recording
      sounds, the more a pro editor/mixer can do with it and make the final
      product sound good.

      Good luck!

      John F. McJunkin
      Avalon Podcasting, LLC