Re: [podcasters] Advanced WordPress Book?

  • Mike Wills
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5 3:55 PM
      Websites are fine and all, but it is nice to have a dead-tree edition to
      look at while away from the computer so I can read ahead and get the ideas
      better formulated in my head. That is just one of my quirks....

      On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:39 PM, PhiLL Ramey <pramey@...> wrote:

      > The Wordpress codex is a really great resource at:
      > http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page
      >
      > There's a link for "Advanced Topics" that you can check out. I know it's
      > not
      > a book, but it's been helpful to me in the past so thought I'd mention it.
      >
      > Phill
      >
      > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Mike Wills <mike@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Is there a book that covers the more advanced abilities and uses of
      > > WordPress?
      > >
      > > --
      > > Mike Wills
      > > mike@... <mike%40podcastmike.com>
      > > Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
      > > Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
      > > Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills
      > >
      > > Podcasts:
      > > Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
      > > Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

      > PhiLL Ramey
      > The PhiLL(er)
      > PO Box 1345
      > Issaquah, WA 98027
      >
      > phill@...
      > AIM: thephillerdotcom
      > http://www.thephiller.com

      Mike Wills
      mike@...
      Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
      Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
      Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills

      Podcasts:
      Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
      Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

    • ma scrub
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6 11:40 AM
        I find that the codex is written for the people who wrote the codex. They already understand
        Wordpress thoroughly and assume that others do. My sense of logic, or lack thereof, is quite different from theirs. I found the Dummies book about Wordpress too basic, although I did learn one thing from it. The codex is at the opposite extreme. And if you don't understand the codex, don't expect a kind response from the Wordpress forum.

        YMMV

        Theresa

        Personal and Group Travel
        Cruise Bug Vacations
        www.cruisebugvacations.com
        Blog and Podcast -
        www.cruisebugchatter.com

        On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:39 PM, PhiLL Ramey <pramey@gmail. com> wrote:

        > The Wordpress codex is a really great resource at:

        > http://codex. wordpress. org/Main_ Page

        > There's a link for "Advanced Topics" that you can check out. I know it's

        > not

        > a book, but it's been helpful to me in the past so thought I'd mention it.

        > Phill

        > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Mike Wills <mike@podcastmike. com> wrote:

        > > Is there a book that covers the more advanced abilities and uses of

        > > WordPress?

        > > --

        > > Mike Wills

        > > mike@podcastmike. com <mike%40podcastmike .com>

        > > Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike. com

        > > Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)

        > > Stalk me at http://friendfeed. com/mikewills

        > > Podcasts:

        > > Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish .com

        > > Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx. com

        > ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* *

        > PhiLL Ramey

        > The PhiLL(er)

        > PO Box 1345

        > Issaquah, WA 98027

        > phill@thephiller. com

        > AIM: thephillerdotcom

        > http://www.thephill er.com

        > ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* *

        Mike Wills

        mike@podcastmike. com

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6 12:28 PM
          On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:40 PM, ma scrub <ma_scrub@...> wrote:
          > I find that the codex is written for the people who wrote the codex. They already understand
          > Wordpress thoroughly and assume that others do. My sense of logic, or lack thereof, is quite different from theirs. I found the Dummies book about Wordpress too basic, although I did learn one thing from it. The codex is at the opposite extreme. And if you don't understand the codex, don't expect a kind response from the Wordpress forum.

          I would agree with this; I've also found it extremely difficult to
          navigate, with badly broken search, and it's difficult to tell which
          parts are current and which refer to old versions of Wordpress.

          Unfortunately, there is no advanced reference at this time. Most of
          what I know about Wordpress, I figured out from looking at the PHP
          source code itself. This is effective for a reasonably skilled
          programmer, but it's rarely efficient, and it does leave smart but
          non-technical users pretty much in the dust. I'm really surprised
          Wordpress is as successful as it's been under such conditions. I can
          only attribute it to everything else being worse.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Paul McElligott
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6 1:12 PM
            Part of the problem is that by the time they get a Wordpress 2.6 book
            to press, we'll probably be on Wordpress 3. Why produce a book when it
            will be obsolete by the time you get it in anyone's hands? They can't
            even keep the codex up to date... what hope do the "dead-tree"
            publishers have?

            What we really need are three guides: A user's guide, a theme-maker's
            guide and a plug-in writer's guide. If I just want to use Wordpress to
            create a blog, I don't need to know how the sausage is made.
            --
            Paul McElligott
            Recalculating Temple Owl

            On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
            > On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:40 PM, ma scrub <ma_scrub@...> wrote:
            >> I find that the codex is written for the people who wrote the codex. They
            >> already understand
            >> Wordpress thoroughly and assume that others do. My sense of logic, or lack
            >> thereof, is quite different from theirs. I found the Dummies book about
            >> Wordpress too basic, although I did learn one thing from it. The codex is at
            >> the opposite extreme. And if you don't understand the codex, don't expect a
            >> kind response from the Wordpress forum.
            >
            > I would agree with this; I've also found it extremely difficult to
            > navigate, with badly broken search, and it's difficult to tell which
            > parts are current and which refer to old versions of Wordpress.
            >
            > Unfortunately, there is no advanced reference at this time. Most of
            > what I know about Wordpress, I figured out from looking at the PHP
            > source code itself. This is effective for a reasonably skilled
            > programmer, but it's rarely efficient, and it does leave smart but
            > non-technical users pretty much in the dust. I'm really surprised
            > Wordpress is as successful as it's been under such conditions. I can
            > only attribute it to everything else being worse.
            >
            > --
            > Have Fun,
            > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
            > http://www.escapepod.org

          • Mike Wills
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6 1:47 PM
              I am all for that. I would want the plug-in and theme one at this point.

              The problem I see with this is that there are thousands of plug-ins and
              there might be one that I want to use, but it is so obscure that you would
              never find it unless someone else happens to have heard of it and happens to
              see your inquiry.

              On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Paul McElligott
              <mcelligott.paul@...>wrote:

              > Part of the problem is that by the time they get a Wordpress 2.6 book
              > to press, we'll probably be on Wordpress 3. Why produce a book when it
              > will be obsolete by the time you get it in anyone's hands? They can't
              > even keep the codex up to date... what hope do the "dead-tree"
              > publishers have?
              >
              > What we really need are three guides: A user's guide, a theme-maker's
              > guide and a plug-in writer's guide. If I just want to use Wordpress to
              > create a blog, I don't need to know how the sausage is made.
              > --
              > Paul McElligott
              > Recalculating Temple Owl
              >

              > On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
              > > On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:40 PM, ma scrub <ma_scrub@...> wrote:
              > >> I find that the codex is written for the people who wrote the codex.
              > They
              > >> already understand
              > >> Wordpress thoroughly and assume that others do. My sense of logic, or
              > lack
              > >> thereof, is quite different from theirs. I found the Dummies book about
              > >> Wordpress too basic, although I did learn one thing from it. The codex
              > is at
              > >> the opposite extreme. And if you don't understand the codex, don't
              > expect a
              > >> kind response from the Wordpress forum.
              > >
              > > I would agree with this; I've also found it extremely difficult to
              > > navigate, with badly broken search, and it's difficult to tell which
              > > parts are current and which refer to old versions of Wordpress.
              > >
              > > Unfortunately, there is no advanced reference at this time. Most of
              > > what I know about Wordpress, I figured out from looking at the PHP
              > > source code itself. This is effective for a reasonably skilled
              > > programmer, but it's rarely efficient, and it does leave smart but
              > > non-technical users pretty much in the dust. I'm really surprised
              > > Wordpress is as successful as it's been under such conditions. I can
              > > only attribute it to everything else being worse.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Have Fun,
              > > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
              > > ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
              > > http://www.escapepod.org

              Mike Wills
              mike@...