Re: [podcasters] Podpress VS Powerpress.

  • Katronix Serf
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5 3:30 PM
      cianmacmahon wrote:

      > So, the fellehs over at Rawvoice have released this new wordpress
      > plugin. http://www.blubrry.com/powerpress/
      > <http://www.blubrry.com/powerpress/>
      >
      > So, I'm thinking... Why? We already have podpress.
      > Why would anybody move from podpress to this, other then the little
      > incompatibility issue which is going on at the moment and can be fixed
      > with ease?
      >
      > __._,_.__

      My question would actually be, "how easy is it to switch over?" I'm
      assuming neither plugin will have a converter section for the other. If
      you did decide to switch, would you loose all of your old episodes?

      Chris
    • Waldo O
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5 3:33 PM
        I just installed it for kicks. Ya, it does have a converter thing built
        in. No its not better. Stick with PodPress.

        --
        Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
        Executive Producer

        "...you know what? I still get out of bed
        every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
        Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
        else..."
        - Edward Morris

      • Shawn Thorpe
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5 5:13 PM
          I don't see any built-in stat support with Powerpress. Yes, it has
          third-party stat support. But podPress has its own stat system that you can
          access from within WordPress. That's reason enough for me NOT to switch
          away from podPress.

          -Shawn

        • Waldo O
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5 5:14 PM
            That and cosmetic reasons. The two players that podpress supports, look
            ALOT better than the one player that powerpress has...

            On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 20:13, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

            > I don't see any built-in stat support with Powerpress. Yes, it has
            > third-party stat support. But podPress has its own stat system that you can
            > access from within WordPress. That's reason enough for me NOT to switch
            > away from podPress.
            >
            > -Shawn

            Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
            Executive Producer
            Giant Gnome Productions
            www.giantgnome.com
            MCCAIN FTW

            "...you know what? I still get out of bed
            every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
            Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
            else..."
            - Edward Morris

          • Cian Mac Mahon
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5 6:07 PM
              I know that competition is better, I was just wondering if anybody
              could offer reasons as to why it might be better.

              I'm away from the desk at the moment, but once I get back I will try
              it out on a site and see if it is different.

              As for the lack of stats with powerpress, this is to encourage you to
              use blubrry stats. I use external stats anyway, but I see how this
              could be a problem.

              However, it works in 2.6. Which is good. (I still havnt upgraded from
              2.5 on any of my sites)

              Sent from my iPod
            • Steve Riekeberg
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5 6:16 PM
                If only to be devi's advocate, I must point out that Powerpress is only at
                version 0.1.1, and podPress is a mature and stable product. It's not exactly
                fair to directly compare Powerpress when it's obviously very early in its
                development and probably has some time before it reaches maturity. Remember
                podpress has been around for some time now.

                Steve Riekeberg
                Host, Geek Cred
                <http://www.geekcred.net>

                On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...> wrote:

                > I know that competition is better, I was just wondering if anybody
                > could offer reasons as to why it might be better.
                >
                > I'm away from the desk at the moment, but once I get back I will try
                > it out on a site and see if it is different.
                >
                > As for the lack of stats with powerpress, this is to encourage you to
                > use blubrry stats. I use external stats anyway, but I see how this
                > could be a problem.
                >
                > However, it works in 2.6. Which is good. (I still havnt upgraded from
                > 2.5 on any of my sites)
                >
                > Sent from my iPod

              • Todd Cochrane
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5 7:57 PM
                  Steve

                  I think we have like 40 hours of code into the plugin, and while we
                  will never have some of the features podpress has it serves the purpose
                  we have designed it for. But I think you will find that beyond stats
                  their is nothing this plugin lacks and if you want stats we have free
                  stats available to blubrry members.

                  Todd..

                  Steve Riekeberg wrote:

                  > If only to be devi's advocate, I must point out that Powerpress is only at
                  > version 0.1.1, and podPress is a mature and stable product. It's not
                  > exactly
                  > fair to directly compare Powerpress when it's obviously very early in its
                  > development and probably has some time before it reaches maturity.
                  > Remember
                  > podpress has been around for some time now.
                  >
                  > Steve Riekeberg
                  > Host, Geek Cred
                  > <http://www.geekcred.net <http://www.geekcred.net>>
                  >
                  > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...
                  > <mailto:cianmm%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I know that competition is better, I was just wondering if anybody
                  > > could offer reasons as to why it might be better.
                  > >
                  > > I'm away from the desk at the moment, but once I get back I will try
                  > > it out on a site and see if it is different.
                  > >
                  > > As for the lack of stats with powerpress, this is to encourage you to
                  > > use blubrry stats. I use external stats anyway, but I see how this
                  > > could be a problem.
                  > >
                  > > However, it works in 2.6. Which is good. (I still havnt upgraded from
                  > > 2.5 on any of my sites)
                  > >
                  > > Sent from my iPod

                • Todd Cochrane
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5 8:32 PM
                    All

                    We built the PowerPress plugin over the past "week" to support our
                    Premium Publishing Service at Blubrry. It is not designed to be a
                    Podpress competitor. It's a lightweight podcast plugin for our
                    customers, and those using our, or other third party stats service.

                    We have thousands of members on Blubrry & TechPodcasts.com most of which
                    host their web sites using Wordpress. With the launch of our latest
                    services (Podcast Publishing Premium
                    <https://secure.blubrry.com/product.php?p=3> and Podcast Publishing
                    Premium with Hosting <https://secure.blubrry.com/product.php?p=4>), we
                    found it necessary to offer a podcasting plugin that can support
                    episodes posted from our system. The task was simple: develop a
                    Wordpress podcasting plugin that stores podcast episodes the way
                    Wordpress (natively) expects them! Now our Publishing members /
                    customers can publish their episodes through our system which cross
                    posts their podcast episodes to their Wordpress blog and have fully
                    compliant validated RSS feeds with optimized iTunes / Zune Market place
                    support.

                    Being we have our own stats service (
                    http://www.blubrry.com/podcast_statistics/ ) that we spent many months
                    developing in which several thousand people are using, along with a
                    number of commercial media networks, we did not add any stats components
                    to the plugin as we already have a statistics solution that is a very
                    comprehensive product. Blubrry Stats provides statistical information
                    that will never be capable of being replicated in a plugin.

                    We look forward to everyones feedback and like all of our products will
                    mature over time.

                    Todd Cochrane
                    CEO RawVoice