Re: [podcasters] Hosting service sought

  • Waldo O
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
      I dont know, but I use BlueHost, and its got alot better than that...

      www.bluehost.com

      Unlimited for most of that stuff.

      On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 18:03, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

      > I was on a podcast site a couple of days ago - some guy who was a
      > podcast
      > award winner - and he had an ad for the hosting service he used.
      >
      > The price was $7.77 per month, and it offered something like 750 gigs of
      > web space, 1,000 gigs of bandwith, and you could host an unlimited number
      > of web sites on your space.
      >
      > Now I can't find it.
      >
      > Does that look familiar to anyone?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > ---Dan

      Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
      Executive Producer
      Giant Gnome Productions
      www.giantgnome.com
      MCCAIN FTW

      "...you know what? I still get out of bed
      every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
      Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
      else..."
      - Edward Morris

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
        That sounds like the sort of price Dreamhost (http://dreamhost.com) would offer.

        All I will say is that I used to use Dreamhost, and in my experience,
        shared hosts that offer terabytes of bandwidth are rarely able to
        follow through technically on that promise. But if you don't need
        terabytes, it's likely a good deal.

        On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:
        > I was on a podcast site a couple of days ago - some guy who was a podcast
        > award winner - and he had an ad for the hosting service he used.
        >
        > The price was $7.77 per month, and it offered something like 750 gigs of
        > web space, 1,000 gigs of bandwith, and you could host an unlimited number
        > of web sites on your space.
        >
        > Now I can't find it.
        >
        > Does that look familiar to anyone?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > ---Dan

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Mike Wills
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
          That might be Powweb. I used to use them, but I left when they were having
          issues with load balancing their servers. I am sure 2+ years later they have
          those issues resolved.

          On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

          > I was on a podcast site a couple of days ago - some guy who was a podcast
          > award winner - and he had an ad for the hosting service he used.
          >
          > The price was $7.77 per month, and it offered something like 750 gigs of
          > web space, 1,000 gigs of bandwith, and you could host an unlimited number
          > of web sites on your space.
          >
          > Now I can't find it.
          >
          > Does that look familiar to anyone?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > ---Dan

          Mike Wills
          mike@...
          Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
          Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
          Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills

          Podcasts:
          Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
          Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

        • rusdin@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
            I use lunarpages.com which has similar pricing.

            --*Rob

            On 8/5/08, Mike Wills <mike@...> wrote:
            > That might be Powweb. I used to use them, but I left when they were having
            > issues with load balancing their servers. I am sure 2+ years later they have
            > those issues resolved.
            >
            > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I was on a podcast site a couple of days ago - some guy who was a podcast
            >> award winner - and he had an ad for the hosting service he used.
            >>
            >> The price was $7.77 per month, and it offered something like 750 gigs of
            >> web space, 1,000 gigs of bandwith, and you could host an unlimited number
            >> of web sites on your space.
            >>
            >> Now I can't find it.
            >>
            >> Does that look familiar to anyone?
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >>
            >> ---Dan

            > Mike Wills
            > mike@...
            > Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
            > Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
            > Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills
            >
            > Podcasts:
            > Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
            > Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

          • RV
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2008
              > The price was $7.77 per month, and it offered something like 750
              gigs of > web space, 1,000 gigs of bandwith, and you could host an
              unlimited number > of web sites on your space.
              > ---Dan

              Dan you might also look into Dreamhost.com; I haven't started with
              them yet because they offer Non-Profits free accounts and I have a
              501c3 exemption. It takes awhile to get the paperwork but in the
              meantime, they said they do offer wordpress and it is Debian Linux if
              that matters

              here is some facts they provide (Terabites, I can't picture that):
              Disk Storage at signup >500 GB
              Automatically Increases Weekly By: 2 GB
              Monthly Bandwidth at signup >5.0 TB
              Automatically Increases Weekly By: 40 GB
              MySQL 5 Databases Unlimited
              Operating System Debian Linux

              User Accounts
              E-Mail Accounts (POP/IMAP) Unlimited
              Full Shell / FTP Users Unlimited
              One-Click Automatic Software Installers:

              WordPress, Gallery, ZenCart, PhpGedView, Pligg, dotProject, Moodle,
              Joomla, phpBB, MediaWiki, WebCalendar, Advanced Poll

              and costs are amazing..
              ]
              Rickey
            • thejabbercast
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2008
                Netfirms.com

                Netfirms rocks, man. I have many podcasts there... :-)

                BigJD