Hosting service sought

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
      I was on a podcast site a couple of days ago - some guy who was a podcast
      award winner - and he had an ad for the hosting service he used.

      The price was $7.77 per month, and it offered something like 750 gigs of
      web space, 1,000 gigs of bandwith, and you could host an unlimited number
      of web sites on your space.

      Now I can't find it.

      Does that look familiar to anyone?

      Thanks,

      ---Dan

    • Waldo O
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
        I dont know, but I use BlueHost, and its got alot better than that...

        www.bluehost.com

        Unlimited for most of that stuff.

        On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 18:03, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

        > I was on a podcast site a couple of days ago - some guy who was a
        > podcast
        > award winner - and he had an ad for the hosting service he used.
        >
        > The price was $7.77 per month, and it offered something like 750 gigs of
        > web space, 1,000 gigs of bandwith, and you could host an unlimited number
        > of web sites on your space.
        >
        > Now I can't find it.
        >
        > Does that look familiar to anyone?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > ---Dan

        Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
        Executive Producer
        Giant Gnome Productions
        www.giantgnome.com
        MCCAIN FTW

        "...you know what? I still get out of bed
        every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
        Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
        else..."
        - Edward Morris

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
          That sounds like the sort of price Dreamhost (http://dreamhost.com) would offer.

          All I will say is that I used to use Dreamhost, and in my experience,
          shared hosts that offer terabytes of bandwidth are rarely able to
          follow through technically on that promise. But if you don't need
          terabytes, it's likely a good deal.

          On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:
          > I was on a podcast site a couple of days ago - some guy who was a podcast
          > award winner - and he had an ad for the hosting service he used.
          >
          > The price was $7.77 per month, and it offered something like 750 gigs of
          > web space, 1,000 gigs of bandwith, and you could host an unlimited number
          > of web sites on your space.
          >
          > Now I can't find it.
          >
          > Does that look familiar to anyone?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > ---Dan

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Mike Wills
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
            That might be Powweb. I used to use them, but I left when they were having
            issues with load balancing their servers. I am sure 2+ years later they have
            those issues resolved.

            On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

            > I was on a podcast site a couple of days ago - some guy who was a podcast
            > award winner - and he had an ad for the hosting service he used.
            >
            > The price was $7.77 per month, and it offered something like 750 gigs of
            > web space, 1,000 gigs of bandwith, and you could host an unlimited number
            > of web sites on your space.
            >
            > Now I can't find it.
            >
            > Does that look familiar to anyone?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > ---Dan

            Mike Wills
            mike@...
            Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
            Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
            Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills

            Podcasts:
            Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
            Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

          • rusdin@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
              I use lunarpages.com which has similar pricing.

              --*Rob

              On 8/5/08, Mike Wills <mike@...> wrote:
              > That might be Powweb. I used to use them, but I left when they were having
              > issues with load balancing their servers. I am sure 2+ years later they have
              > those issues resolved.
              >
              > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:
              >
              >> I was on a podcast site a couple of days ago - some guy who was a podcast
              >> award winner - and he had an ad for the hosting service he used.
              >>
              >> The price was $7.77 per month, and it offered something like 750 gigs of
              >> web space, 1,000 gigs of bandwith, and you could host an unlimited number
              >> of web sites on your space.
              >>
              >> Now I can't find it.
              >>
              >> Does that look familiar to anyone?
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >>
              >> ---Dan

              > Mike Wills
              > mike@...
              > Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
              > Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
              > Stalk me at http://friendfeed.com/mikewills
              >
              > Podcasts:
              > Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
              > Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

            • RV
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2008
                > The price was $7.77 per month, and it offered something like 750
                gigs of > web space, 1,000 gigs of bandwith, and you could host an
                unlimited number > of web sites on your space.
                > ---Dan

                Dan you might also look into Dreamhost.com; I haven't started with
                them yet because they offer Non-Profits free accounts and I have a
                501c3 exemption. It takes awhile to get the paperwork but in the
                meantime, they said they do offer wordpress and it is Debian Linux if
                that matters

                here is some facts they provide (Terabites, I can't picture that):
                Disk Storage at signup >500 GB
                Automatically Increases Weekly By: 2 GB
                Monthly Bandwidth at signup >5.0 TB
                Automatically Increases Weekly By: 40 GB
                MySQL 5 Databases Unlimited
                Operating System Debian Linux

                User Accounts
                E-Mail Accounts (POP/IMAP) Unlimited
                Full Shell / FTP Users Unlimited
                One-Click Automatic Software Installers:

                WordPress, Gallery, ZenCart, PhpGedView, Pligg, dotProject, Moodle,
                Joomla, phpBB, MediaWiki, WebCalendar, Advanced Poll

                and costs are amazing..
                ]
                Rickey
              • thejabbercast
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 6, 2008
                  Netfirms.com

                  Netfirms rocks, man. I have many podcasts there... :-)

                  BigJD