Re: [podcasters] Podpress VS Powerpress.

  • Dan Kuykendall
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
      Stephen Eley wrote:
      > > So, I'm thinking... Why? We already have podpress.
      > > Why would anybody move from podpress to this, other then the little
      > > incompatibility issue which is going on at the moment and can be fixed
      > > with ease?
      >
      > Competition spurs innovation. Lack of competition kills innovation.

      Totally agreed. Altho I have to say, that the upcoming podPress being
      re-written and designed to port to other web content managers will be
      easily able to match and surpass all competitors

      --
      Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
      http://www.mightyseek.com

      The ultimate security is your understanding of reality.
    • Steve Riekeberg
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
        I'd put in my $0.02 here, but since Steve Eley took the words right out of
        my mouth, I'll just echo my complete agreement. How can choice and
        competition ever a bad thing?

        Steve Riekeberg
        Host, Geek Cred
        <http://www.geekcred.net>

        On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Dan Kuykendall <dan@...> wrote:

        > Stephen Eley wrote:
        > > > So, I'm thinking... Why? We already have podpress.
        > > > Why would anybody move from podpress to this, other then the little
        > > > incompatibility issue which is going on at the moment and can be fixed
        > > > with ease?
        > >
        > > Competition spurs innovation. Lack of competition kills innovation.
        >
        > Totally agreed. Altho I have to say, that the upcoming podPress being
        > re-written and designed to port to other web content managers will be
        > easily able to match and surpass all competitors
        >
        > --
        > Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
        > http://www.mightyseek.com
        >
        > The ultimate security is your understanding of reality.

      • Katronix Serf
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
          cianmacmahon wrote:

          > So, the fellehs over at Rawvoice have released this new wordpress
          > plugin. http://www.blubrry.com/powerpress/
          > <http://www.blubrry.com/powerpress/>
          >
          > So, I'm thinking... Why? We already have podpress.
          > Why would anybody move from podpress to this, other then the little
          > incompatibility issue which is going on at the moment and can be fixed
          > with ease?
          >
          > __._,_.__

          My question would actually be, "how easy is it to switch over?" I'm
          assuming neither plugin will have a converter section for the other. If
          you did decide to switch, would you loose all of your old episodes?

          Chris
        • Waldo O
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
            I just installed it for kicks. Ya, it does have a converter thing built
            in. No its not better. Stick with PodPress.

            --
            Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
            Executive Producer

            "...you know what? I still get out of bed
            every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
            Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
            else..."
            - Edward Morris

          • Shawn Thorpe
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
              I don't see any built-in stat support with Powerpress. Yes, it has
              third-party stat support. But podPress has its own stat system that you can
              access from within WordPress. That's reason enough for me NOT to switch
              away from podPress.

              -Shawn

            • Waldo O
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                That and cosmetic reasons. The two players that podpress supports, look
                ALOT better than the one player that powerpress has...

                On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 20:13, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

                > I don't see any built-in stat support with Powerpress. Yes, it has
                > third-party stat support. But podPress has its own stat system that you can
                > access from within WordPress. That's reason enough for me NOT to switch
                > away from podPress.
                >
                > -Shawn

                Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
                Executive Producer
                Giant Gnome Productions
                www.giantgnome.com
                MCCAIN FTW

                "...you know what? I still get out of bed
                every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
                Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
                else..."
                - Edward Morris

              • Cian Mac Mahon
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                  I know that competition is better, I was just wondering if anybody
                  could offer reasons as to why it might be better.

                  I'm away from the desk at the moment, but once I get back I will try
                  it out on a site and see if it is different.

                  As for the lack of stats with powerpress, this is to encourage you to
                  use blubrry stats. I use external stats anyway, but I see how this
                  could be a problem.

                  However, it works in 2.6. Which is good. (I still havnt upgraded from
                  2.5 on any of my sites)

                  Sent from my iPod
                • Steve Riekeberg
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                    If only to be devi's advocate, I must point out that Powerpress is only at
                    version 0.1.1, and podPress is a mature and stable product. It's not exactly
                    fair to directly compare Powerpress when it's obviously very early in its
                    development and probably has some time before it reaches maturity. Remember
                    podpress has been around for some time now.

                    Steve Riekeberg
                    Host, Geek Cred
                    <http://www.geekcred.net>

                    On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...> wrote:

                    > I know that competition is better, I was just wondering if anybody
                    > could offer reasons as to why it might be better.
                    >
                    > I'm away from the desk at the moment, but once I get back I will try
                    > it out on a site and see if it is different.
                    >
                    > As for the lack of stats with powerpress, this is to encourage you to
                    > use blubrry stats. I use external stats anyway, but I see how this
                    > could be a problem.
                    >
                    > However, it works in 2.6. Which is good. (I still havnt upgraded from
                    > 2.5 on any of my sites)
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPod

                  • Todd Cochrane
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                      Steve

                      I think we have like 40 hours of code into the plugin, and while we
                      will never have some of the features podpress has it serves the purpose
                      we have designed it for. But I think you will find that beyond stats
                      their is nothing this plugin lacks and if you want stats we have free
                      stats available to blubrry members.

                      Todd..

                      Steve Riekeberg wrote:

                      > If only to be devi's advocate, I must point out that Powerpress is only at
                      > version 0.1.1, and podPress is a mature and stable product. It's not
                      > exactly
                      > fair to directly compare Powerpress when it's obviously very early in its
                      > development and probably has some time before it reaches maturity.
                      > Remember
                      > podpress has been around for some time now.
                      >
                      > Steve Riekeberg
                      > Host, Geek Cred
                      > <http://www.geekcred.net <http://www.geekcred.net>>
                      >
                      > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...
                      > <mailto:cianmm%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I know that competition is better, I was just wondering if anybody
                      > > could offer reasons as to why it might be better.
                      > >
                      > > I'm away from the desk at the moment, but once I get back I will try
                      > > it out on a site and see if it is different.
                      > >
                      > > As for the lack of stats with powerpress, this is to encourage you to
                      > > use blubrry stats. I use external stats anyway, but I see how this
                      > > could be a problem.
                      > >
                      > > However, it works in 2.6. Which is good. (I still havnt upgraded from
                      > > 2.5 on any of my sites)
                      > >
                      > > Sent from my iPod

                    • Todd Cochrane
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                        All

                        We built the PowerPress plugin over the past "week" to support our
                        Premium Publishing Service at Blubrry. It is not designed to be a
                        Podpress competitor. It's a lightweight podcast plugin for our
                        customers, and those using our, or other third party stats service.

                        We have thousands of members on Blubrry & TechPodcasts.com most of which
                        host their web sites using Wordpress. With the launch of our latest
                        services (Podcast Publishing Premium
                        <https://secure.blubrry.com/product.php?p=3> and Podcast Publishing
                        Premium with Hosting <https://secure.blubrry.com/product.php?p=4>), we
                        found it necessary to offer a podcasting plugin that can support
                        episodes posted from our system. The task was simple: develop a
                        Wordpress podcasting plugin that stores podcast episodes the way
                        Wordpress (natively) expects them! Now our Publishing members /
                        customers can publish their episodes through our system which cross
                        posts their podcast episodes to their Wordpress blog and have fully
                        compliant validated RSS feeds with optimized iTunes / Zune Market place
                        support.

                        Being we have our own stats service (
                        http://www.blubrry.com/podcast_statistics/ ) that we spent many months
                        developing in which several thousand people are using, along with a
                        number of commercial media networks, we did not add any stats components
                        to the plugin as we already have a statistics solution that is a very
                        comprehensive product. Blubrry Stats provides statistical information
                        that will never be capable of being replicated in a plugin.

                        We look forward to everyones feedback and like all of our products will
                        mature over time.

                        Todd Cochrane
                        CEO RawVoice