Re: [podcasters] Podpress VS Powerpress.

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
      On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 3:43 PM, cianmacmahon <cianmm@...> wrote:
      > So, the fellehs over at Rawvoice have released this new wordpress
      > plugin. http://www.blubrry.com/powerpress/
      >
      > So, I'm thinking... Why? We already have podpress.
      > Why would anybody move from podpress to this, other then the little
      > incompatibility issue which is going on at the moment and can be fixed
      > with ease?

      Competition spurs innovation. Lack of competition kills innovation.

      If this new tool meets people's better than Podpress, then Podpress
      will (and should) start losing users to it. Until Podpress improves.
      Then Powerpress can try to catch up. Both products get better, and we
      win.

      Unless everyone says "Why?" and accepts 'good enough' as preferable in
      every case to 'better.'

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Dan Kuykendall
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
        Stephen Eley wrote:
        > > So, I'm thinking... Why? We already have podpress.
        > > Why would anybody move from podpress to this, other then the little
        > > incompatibility issue which is going on at the moment and can be fixed
        > > with ease?
        >
        > Competition spurs innovation. Lack of competition kills innovation.

        Totally agreed. Altho I have to say, that the upcoming podPress being
        re-written and designed to port to other web content managers will be
        easily able to match and surpass all competitors

        --
        Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
        http://www.mightyseek.com

        The ultimate security is your understanding of reality.
      • Steve Riekeberg
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
          I'd put in my $0.02 here, but since Steve Eley took the words right out of
          my mouth, I'll just echo my complete agreement. How can choice and
          competition ever a bad thing?

          Steve Riekeberg
          Host, Geek Cred
          <http://www.geekcred.net>

          On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Dan Kuykendall <dan@...> wrote:

          > Stephen Eley wrote:
          > > > So, I'm thinking... Why? We already have podpress.
          > > > Why would anybody move from podpress to this, other then the little
          > > > incompatibility issue which is going on at the moment and can be fixed
          > > > with ease?
          > >
          > > Competition spurs innovation. Lack of competition kills innovation.
          >
          > Totally agreed. Altho I have to say, that the upcoming podPress being
          > re-written and designed to port to other web content managers will be
          > easily able to match and surpass all competitors
          >
          > --
          > Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
          > http://www.mightyseek.com
          >
          > The ultimate security is your understanding of reality.

        • Katronix Serf
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
            cianmacmahon wrote:

            > So, the fellehs over at Rawvoice have released this new wordpress
            > plugin. http://www.blubrry.com/powerpress/
            > <http://www.blubrry.com/powerpress/>
            >
            > So, I'm thinking... Why? We already have podpress.
            > Why would anybody move from podpress to this, other then the little
            > incompatibility issue which is going on at the moment and can be fixed
            > with ease?
            >
            > __._,_.__

            My question would actually be, "how easy is it to switch over?" I'm
            assuming neither plugin will have a converter section for the other. If
            you did decide to switch, would you loose all of your old episodes?

            Chris
          • Waldo O
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
              I just installed it for kicks. Ya, it does have a converter thing built
              in. No its not better. Stick with PodPress.

              --
              Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
              Executive Producer

              "...you know what? I still get out of bed
              every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
              Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
              else..."
              - Edward Morris

            • Shawn Thorpe
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                I don't see any built-in stat support with Powerpress. Yes, it has
                third-party stat support. But podPress has its own stat system that you can
                access from within WordPress. That's reason enough for me NOT to switch
                away from podPress.

                -Shawn

              • Waldo O
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                  That and cosmetic reasons. The two players that podpress supports, look
                  ALOT better than the one player that powerpress has...

                  On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 20:13, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

                  > I don't see any built-in stat support with Powerpress. Yes, it has
                  > third-party stat support. But podPress has its own stat system that you can
                  > access from within WordPress. That's reason enough for me NOT to switch
                  > away from podPress.
                  >
                  > -Shawn

                  Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
                  Executive Producer
                  Giant Gnome Productions
                  www.giantgnome.com
                  MCCAIN FTW

                  "...you know what? I still get out of bed
                  every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
                  Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
                  else..."
                  - Edward Morris

                • Cian Mac Mahon
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                    I know that competition is better, I was just wondering if anybody
                    could offer reasons as to why it might be better.

                    I'm away from the desk at the moment, but once I get back I will try
                    it out on a site and see if it is different.

                    As for the lack of stats with powerpress, this is to encourage you to
                    use blubrry stats. I use external stats anyway, but I see how this
                    could be a problem.

                    However, it works in 2.6. Which is good. (I still havnt upgraded from
                    2.5 on any of my sites)

                    Sent from my iPod
                  • Steve Riekeberg
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                      If only to be devi's advocate, I must point out that Powerpress is only at
                      version 0.1.1, and podPress is a mature and stable product. It's not exactly
                      fair to directly compare Powerpress when it's obviously very early in its
                      development and probably has some time before it reaches maturity. Remember
                      podpress has been around for some time now.

                      Steve Riekeberg
                      Host, Geek Cred
                      <http://www.geekcred.net>

                      On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...> wrote:

                      > I know that competition is better, I was just wondering if anybody
                      > could offer reasons as to why it might be better.
                      >
                      > I'm away from the desk at the moment, but once I get back I will try
                      > it out on a site and see if it is different.
                      >
                      > As for the lack of stats with powerpress, this is to encourage you to
                      > use blubrry stats. I use external stats anyway, but I see how this
                      > could be a problem.
                      >
                      > However, it works in 2.6. Which is good. (I still havnt upgraded from
                      > 2.5 on any of my sites)
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPod

                    • Todd Cochrane
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                        Steve

                        I think we have like 40 hours of code into the plugin, and while we
                        will never have some of the features podpress has it serves the purpose
                        we have designed it for. But I think you will find that beyond stats
                        their is nothing this plugin lacks and if you want stats we have free
                        stats available to blubrry members.

                        Todd..

                        Steve Riekeberg wrote:

                        > If only to be devi's advocate, I must point out that Powerpress is only at
                        > version 0.1.1, and podPress is a mature and stable product. It's not
                        > exactly
                        > fair to directly compare Powerpress when it's obviously very early in its
                        > development and probably has some time before it reaches maturity.
                        > Remember
                        > podpress has been around for some time now.
                        >
                        > Steve Riekeberg
                        > Host, Geek Cred
                        > <http://www.geekcred.net <http://www.geekcred.net>>
                        >
                        > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Cian Mac Mahon <cianmm@...
                        > <mailto:cianmm%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I know that competition is better, I was just wondering if anybody
                        > > could offer reasons as to why it might be better.
                        > >
                        > > I'm away from the desk at the moment, but once I get back I will try
                        > > it out on a site and see if it is different.
                        > >
                        > > As for the lack of stats with powerpress, this is to encourage you to
                        > > use blubrry stats. I use external stats anyway, but I see how this
                        > > could be a problem.
                        > >
                        > > However, it works in 2.6. Which is good. (I still havnt upgraded from
                        > > 2.5 on any of my sites)
                        > >
                        > > Sent from my iPod

                      • Todd Cochrane
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                          All

                          We built the PowerPress plugin over the past "week" to support our
                          Premium Publishing Service at Blubrry. It is not designed to be a
                          Podpress competitor. It's a lightweight podcast plugin for our
                          customers, and those using our, or other third party stats service.

                          We have thousands of members on Blubrry & TechPodcasts.com most of which
                          host their web sites using Wordpress. With the launch of our latest
                          services (Podcast Publishing Premium
                          <https://secure.blubrry.com/product.php?p=3> and Podcast Publishing
                          Premium with Hosting <https://secure.blubrry.com/product.php?p=4>), we
                          found it necessary to offer a podcasting plugin that can support
                          episodes posted from our system. The task was simple: develop a
                          Wordpress podcasting plugin that stores podcast episodes the way
                          Wordpress (natively) expects them! Now our Publishing members /
                          customers can publish their episodes through our system which cross
                          posts their podcast episodes to their Wordpress blog and have fully
                          compliant validated RSS feeds with optimized iTunes / Zune Market place
                          support.

                          Being we have our own stats service (
                          http://www.blubrry.com/podcast_statistics/ ) that we spent many months
                          developing in which several thousand people are using, along with a
                          number of commercial media networks, we did not add any stats components
                          to the plugin as we already have a statistics solution that is a very
                          comprehensive product. Blubrry Stats provides statistical information
                          that will never be capable of being replicated in a plugin.

                          We look forward to everyones feedback and like all of our products will
                          mature over time.

                          Todd Cochrane
                          CEO RawVoice