Best USB Mixer?

  • Stephen Nelson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2008
      Greetings brother and sister podcasters,

      I'm planning a new podcast which will require miking three or four
      people. I'd like to find a reasonably portable mixer that does USB
      digitization with at least 4 XLR inputs. I was originally considering
      the Alesis 8 Multimix, but I've heard too many horror stories about
      channel buzz. Any suggestions?
    • Waldo O
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2008
        I have the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB 2.0 one, and I dont have any problems with
        buzzing. Get the USB 2.0 so that you can send to your software separate
        tracks. The 1.1 version mixes it all into 2 stereo tracks and sends those
        to the compy...

        Also, you can try using some USB Interfaces as well. Such as the Behringer
        and the like. Those make pretty much any mixer into a USB mixer....

        waldo

        --
        Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
        Executive Producer

        "...you know what? I still get out of bed
        every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
        Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
        else..."
        - Edward Morris

      • Dan Hughes
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2008
          Stephen says, "I'd like to find a reasonably portable mixer that does USB

          digitization with at least 4 XLR inputs. "
          --------------------
          Stephen, I like my Behringer 1204FX:

          http://tinyurl.com/5pqmvd

          It has four XLR inputs, and a total of 12 channels. Also a potful of
          nice special effects.

          I bought mine on eBay for $96, and here's one currently for sale that
          could be a really good deal:

          http://tinyurl.com/6c6q44

          Best,

          ---Dan, http://danhughes.net (spiffy home page)

        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2008
            From: "Stephen Nelson"
            > I'm planning a new podcast which will require miking three or four
            > people. I'd like to find a reasonably portable mixer that does USB
            > digitization with at least 4 XLR inputs.
            (snip)

            If you are going to *need* 4 XLR imputs (either now or in the future) ..
            then I strongly suggest that you get a mixer with MORE than 4 XLR imputs.
            If you get a mixer that has only 4 XLR imputs and, for whatever reason, one
            (or more) go bad .. then you are out of luck.

            Richard Amirault
            Boston, MA, USA
            http://n1jdu.org
            http://bostonfandom.org