Re: [podcasters] Zoom H4 for beercasting?

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
      On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Data Scavenger <datascavenger@...> wrote:

      > The boundary mic is battery powered. I believe that would make it a
      > condenser mic. But I do appreciate the warning.

      Oh, okay, in that case you'll likely have no problems. It'd be a good
      idea to field test the setup before you go recording anything really
      important -- as Richard said, an omni boundary mic _might_ pick up
      enough noise to make it hard to distinguish background from
      foreground. Or it might work great. The best way to find out is to
      try it. Good luck!

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Martin McKeay
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
        It's not quite a beercast, but I've been recording a series of short
        interviews at the Black Hat security convention the last few days using my
        Zoom H4, a Shure PG 58 and a low end AKG microphone. You and the person
        you're interviewing have to hold the mic's obviously, but the fact that all
        of the interviews were done in crowded hallways and you don't get more than
        a general suggestion of the background noise more than makes up for having
        one hand occupied.

        http://netsecpodcast.com

        The shortest comes in at just over 3 minutes if you want a short example of
        the sound: http://netsecpodcast.com/?p=63

      • thejabbercast
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
          1. Your recording quality from the mics is GREAT!
          2. The recording is really bad, due to clipping I believe. Sounds like it was recorded too hot
          & it is full of static.... that's what u have to get right, the levels..... but the mics are gonna
          sound great... The clip I heard from yer link... I would not release that bad a quality..

          The ZOOM H$ is awesome & sounds like the quality of the mics is fine, but it's the
          engineering. And I don't think that could be fixed, it is the way u recorded that.

          At least that's what I get from this one recording from the link....

          Good luck,

          BigJD

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 11, 2008
            That's odd, I went back to listen to the audio and don't hear any of the
            clipping you mention, at least in the short example I used here. There was
            some popping of the p's and b's, but a simple wind screen and some better
            mic technique would help that a lot. I still have a lot to learn about
            recording and talking to some of my fellow podcasters at Black Hat over the
            weekend, I discovered I may have been recording a little hot from the very
            beginning.

            Just as an aside, we had a live podcast with 7 computer security podcasters
            over the weekend live from Las Vegas and the Defcon 16 convention. It was a
            ton of fun and something I hope we can do again in the future.

            Martin