Re: [podcasters] Zoom H4 for beercasting?

  • Data Scavenger
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
      On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
      > Be careful: if it's a typical 1/8" electret microphone that relies on
      > "plug-in power" (the 5V to 9V voltage from most consumer mic jacks),
      > then simply plugging it into the Zoom H4's 1/4" jack won't work. The
      > H4 doesn't send phantom power through the 1/4" center post jack -- and
      > if it did, phantom power is 48V and would probably destroy your
      > microphone.

      The boundary mic is battery powered. I believe that would make it a
      condenser mic. But I do appreciate the warning.

      > http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-ZOOM-PHANTOM
      > http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-ZOOM-OMNI-MIC

      Very interesting. Thank you for putting in the effort to find and share those.

      Lief the Grumbler
      Pennsic Independent Podcast
      http://pipodcast.libsyn.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
        On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Data Scavenger <datascavenger@...> wrote:

        > The boundary mic is battery powered. I believe that would make it a
        > condenser mic. But I do appreciate the warning.

        Oh, okay, in that case you'll likely have no problems. It'd be a good
        idea to field test the setup before you go recording anything really
        important -- as Richard said, an omni boundary mic _might_ pick up
        enough noise to make it hard to distinguish background from
        foreground. Or it might work great. The best way to find out is to
        try it. Good luck!

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Martin McKeay
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
          It's not quite a beercast, but I've been recording a series of short
          interviews at the Black Hat security convention the last few days using my
          Zoom H4, a Shure PG 58 and a low end AKG microphone. You and the person
          you're interviewing have to hold the mic's obviously, but the fact that all
          of the interviews were done in crowded hallways and you don't get more than
          a general suggestion of the background noise more than makes up for having
          one hand occupied.

          http://netsecpodcast.com

          The shortest comes in at just over 3 minutes if you want a short example of
          the sound: http://netsecpodcast.com/?p=63

        • thejabbercast
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
            1. Your recording quality from the mics is GREAT!
            2. The recording is really bad, due to clipping I believe. Sounds like it was recorded too hot
            & it is full of static.... that's what u have to get right, the levels..... but the mics are gonna
            sound great... The clip I heard from yer link... I would not release that bad a quality..

            The ZOOM H$ is awesome & sounds like the quality of the mics is fine, but it's the
            engineering. And I don't think that could be fixed, it is the way u recorded that.

            At least that's what I get from this one recording from the link....

            Good luck,

            BigJD

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 11, 2008
              That's odd, I went back to listen to the audio and don't hear any of the
              clipping you mention, at least in the short example I used here. There was
              some popping of the p's and b's, but a simple wind screen and some better
              mic technique would help that a lot. I still have a lot to learn about
              recording and talking to some of my fellow podcasters at Black Hat over the
              weekend, I discovered I may have been recording a little hot from the very
              beginning.

              Just as an aside, we had a live podcast with 7 computer security podcasters
              over the weekend live from Las Vegas and the Defcon 16 convention. It was a
              ton of fun and something I hope we can do again in the future.

              Martin