Re: Looking for your help w/ my promos.

  • J.C. Hutchins
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 31, 2008
      I really dig podcasting. One of the things I dig most is its
      theatrical aspect.

      Podcast hosts are entertainers. We bring a performance to our
      listening/viewing audiences. In our shows, we're allowed to craft
      personas; many of us unleash personalities we wish we had, or
      personalities our audiences expect us to have. I reckon all of us do
      this to some degree. It's often fun.

      A great many of us are also "professionally unprofessional" -- we're
      rough around the edges because we can be. We can also, for instance,
      be as surly and egotistical and disrespectful as we wish. It's for the
      show, dig.

      I can truck with that kind of performance because I understand its
      context. It's entertainment.

      I can't truck with the kind of spectacular Fourth of July Fireworks
      Extravaganza performance of childish ranting that David Smith filled
      this Group with today. I'd recommend a chill pill, but reckon David's
      prescription is long lost.

      I have nothing further to say about David's outbursts, and I think any
      rational person would agree that they were way out of line.

      I will, however, kindly suggest that we save such ridiculous theatrics
      for our shows. When you become colossally unprofessional in your
      replies, you sacrifice your credibility within this Group, and in the
      community beyond. Considering that this Group is intended to be a
      helpful resource for both new and veteran podcasters -- and the
      bridges you build (and burn) here can make tangible differences in the
      success of your podcast -- it's good sense to keep your
      feedback/advice rational, useful and whenever possible, professional.

      When the conversation gets heated, take it to email. (I guarantee the
      exchanges there will be far more civil, since there's no "audience" to
      perform to.) If you feel your reputation has been impugned and you
      must publicly defend your honor, don't do it here. Announce to the
      group that you're taking the conversation offline. While a morbid
      minority might enjoy watching public meltdowns and tantrums, the vast
      majority of us do not, and don't appreciate the selfishness of those
      who contribute to them.

      Consider this Group a pub. The beer's decent, the old juke's got
      enough tunes to keep us happy, and the conversation is almost always
      interesting and enlightening. If a shoving match starts, do what they
      do at pubs: take the bullshit outside.

      That's what pros do. Even "professionally unprofessional" ones.

      --Hutch
    • andrew clarke
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 1, 2008
        On Thu 2008-07-31 21:10:53 UTC-0500, David Smith (dbsmith01@...) wrote:

        > What the hell are you thinking? Were you dropped on your head as a small
        > child? Too bad for you. I actually -was- dropped on my head as a small
        > child. I also had an iron dropped on my head as a small child. And I
        > actually managed to produce my own goddamned podcast. And promote it.
        > And attract a small but loyal band of listeners.
        >
        > What you got, Beavis?

        David,

        I don't know if this was meant to be humourous, but either way it does
        very much read like a personal attack, which goes against the spirit
        of the Podcasters list.

        Consider this a friendly reminder that personal attacks of any kind
        aren't welcome here.

        Good-spirited humour, and constructive criticism, on the other hand,
        is always welcome!

        Thanks,

        Regards
        Andrew