Re: [podcasters] No longer looking for help w/ my promos.

  • Kevin Bachelder
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
      Hey Rob,

      First and foremost...take a deep breath and relax. :)

      Like many other members of this list I've been a podcaster for several
      years and I've been on this list for several years. Like others I have
      offered feedback and advice to both experienced podcasters and
      newbies.

      If my information is correct it looks like you've been a member of
      this list for about three weeks. You might want to take some more
      time to get to know the folks who comment frequently on this list.
      Judging them based on just their response to you doesn't sound like
      the best way to do things IMHO.

      In the case of your request I shared a couple of simple comments.

      Here again was my reply...

      ===

      True...but this is podcasting. ;)

      I also see some testimonials on your website. If you're looking for
      'false listeners' to make comments for your promo that's going to make
      me think that the testimonials on your website might also be 'staged'.
      Doesn't exactly create a nice image does it?

      ===

      Did you notice the ;) after my statement that radio was different
      than podcasting? My point being that just because an activity works
      in one field doesn't mean it works in another. That's all...end of
      point.

      In your follow-up email/tirade you gave some context on how you
      planned to use these 'listener comments' you were asking for. That
      information wasn't present in your original email so I didn't know
      what you were planning on doing so I'm making comments/suggestions on
      incomplete information and why, as you said, is the responsibility on
      me to ask you questions about this. You were asking us for help
      therefore it's your responsibility to give us complete details in the
      first place.

      My point about not knowing if your testimonials were real was because
      you were asking for fake/false listener comments without giving us the
      context on how you were going to use them. My questioning of that was
      NOT "taking a shot at you or your business". It was trying to show
      that reputation is a fragile thing and you might want to be cautious
      about how you ask for assistance especially if you haven't yet
      established a reputation within the community that your asking for
      assistance from.

      Kevin
    • Kevin Bachelder
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
        On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Kevin Bachelder
        <kbachelder@...> wrote:

        > If my information is correct it looks like you've been a member of
        > this list for about three weeks.

        I owe you an apology on that point Rob...my information was incorrect.

        I'm afraid my emotions got the better of me there. Another case of
        hitting the send key way too quickly.

        Kevin
      • Robert Becker
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
          Kevin, I have no interest in making enemies here and no apologies are necessary.  My main point - and perhaps it was lost in my 1500 word essay - was that some simple questions would have been preferred if there was some confusion about what I was asking, instead it seemed like it was becoming an ethical issue and God knows what else.  I think you can understand why I reacted the way I did considering the circumstances.  I sent in that message last night fully expecting to give a little more clarification if it was needed, but certainly didn't plan on things blowing this far out of proportion.  Believe me when I say that my intentions are on the level.

          Really, the bottom line is...if someone wants to help out, they can...and I'll definitely acknowledge them in some way.  If someone doesn't - even it's because they don't necessarily believe in my production style - that's their prerogative.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
            On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Robert Becker <rdbecker@...> wrote:
            > Kevin, I have no interest in making enemies here and no apologies are necessary.

            One thing that's not lacking in this group is passion. :)

            Kevin