No longer looking for help w/ my promos.

  • Robert Becker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
      J.C., Stephen, and Dan:  Thank you for your replies.  Stephen, there is a larger plan in place...these promos aren't going to see the light of day until after the show gains momentum.  I appreciate your thoughtful responses and input.  Feel free to contact me offline if you want to discuss any of this further.
      Kevin:
      The testimonials on my website are 100% legit.  Not that I owe you any sort of explanation whatsoever, but if you want to question these further, I would love the opportunity to prove you wrong.  I go so far as to even get e-mail approval from my clients before I put any testimonials on my website.  I do this to avoid misrepresenting someone's views.
      The cynical nature of this group is making me regret my involvement.  Way too much is being read into what was essentially an innocent request.  The point of these promos was to have fun and to get a handful of different voices...not to say "I'm so-and-so and I think this podcast is awesome" or to imply there was a massive audience for this podcast.  It was to get quick sound bytes that would fit into what I'm putting together.  Whether this production technique is used in radio or podcasting shouldn't matter...it is not meant to mislead the listeners or anyone else.  Go back and look at some of the examples I provided in my original post.  I would use that stuff in a promo because it's funny.  How in the world would anyone consider "I listen in my bathroom" or "I listen because Rob pays me" to be a serious testimonial, especially in a promo that is meant to be fun and upbeat?
      You could always try asking a few more questions to get clarification instead of nitpicking the hell out of a simple request for help.  You might also try having a little more tact before you arrogantly start questioning the legitimacy of my ethical values and the relationships I've developed with my clients.  It blows me away how quickly people on the internet like to hammer away at someone they know very little about.  It's so easy to do, isn't it?
      I have my photo and name plastered all over a website for my business.  I do this because I have nothing to hide and the people I work for appreciate what I've done for them.  For you, Kevin, to condescendingly call my reputation into question over something as meaningless as my choice of production technique...merely because it doesn't jive with whatever unwritten rules you and Nobilis expect people to abide by or because "this is podcasting" and not radio...blows me away.  I've been asked to emcee an event for a national charity in a couple of weeks due to my reputation locally.  Would you like to question my involvement in this, too?  Please tell me how your blatantly wrong snap judgment of me makes you the better person?  How do you justify assailing my character by practically accusing me of being a liar and calling my entire business into doubt in front of everyone on this group, especially when you know absolutely nothing about me aside
      from what you've read on my website?  Wouldn't you say you gave me a little more than just your two cents, Kevin?  Be honest.  If you're going to take unsubstantiated shots at me at the expense of my business, you're skating on very thin ice there.
      Consider my request for assitance null and void.  I made the mistake of thinking that some of you might have wanted to have a little fun with this, unfortunately two people have turned this into something completely different and it's not worth the effort.  Most people here have a lot of value to add to this group and have the vision to succeed.  Others need to be more accepting, a little less cynical, and less quick to judge the new guy on "their turf."  The techie desire to find something to be offended by is cancerous.  It's too bad that some people take liberties with their anonymity and take themselves way too seriously.
      If I'm the "bad guy" for defending my reputation, so be it.  I don't see how anyone in their right mind would sit back and let their character and business be called into question like this.  It's ridiculous.
      Rob Becker

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
        Hey Rob,

        First and foremost...take a deep breath and relax. :)

        Like many other members of this list I've been a podcaster for several
        years and I've been on this list for several years. Like others I have
        offered feedback and advice to both experienced podcasters and
        newbies.

        If my information is correct it looks like you've been a member of
        this list for about three weeks. You might want to take some more
        time to get to know the folks who comment frequently on this list.
        Judging them based on just their response to you doesn't sound like
        the best way to do things IMHO.

        In the case of your request I shared a couple of simple comments.

        Here again was my reply...

        ===

        True...but this is podcasting. ;)

        I also see some testimonials on your website. If you're looking for
        'false listeners' to make comments for your promo that's going to make
        me think that the testimonials on your website might also be 'staged'.
        Doesn't exactly create a nice image does it?

        ===

        Did you notice the ;) after my statement that radio was different
        than podcasting? My point being that just because an activity works
        in one field doesn't mean it works in another. That's all...end of
        point.

        In your follow-up email/tirade you gave some context on how you
        planned to use these 'listener comments' you were asking for. That
        information wasn't present in your original email so I didn't know
        what you were planning on doing so I'm making comments/suggestions on
        incomplete information and why, as you said, is the responsibility on
        me to ask you questions about this. You were asking us for help
        therefore it's your responsibility to give us complete details in the
        first place.

        My point about not knowing if your testimonials were real was because
        you were asking for fake/false listener comments without giving us the
        context on how you were going to use them. My questioning of that was
        NOT "taking a shot at you or your business". It was trying to show
        that reputation is a fragile thing and you might want to be cautious
        about how you ask for assistance especially if you haven't yet
        established a reputation within the community that your asking for
        assistance from.

        Kevin
      • Kevin Bachelder
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
          On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Kevin Bachelder
          <kbachelder@...> wrote:

          > If my information is correct it looks like you've been a member of
          > this list for about three weeks.

          I owe you an apology on that point Rob...my information was incorrect.

          I'm afraid my emotions got the better of me there. Another case of
          hitting the send key way too quickly.

          Kevin
        • Robert Becker
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
            Kevin, I have no interest in making enemies here and no apologies are necessary.  My main point - and perhaps it was lost in my 1500 word essay - was that some simple questions would have been preferred if there was some confusion about what I was asking, instead it seemed like it was becoming an ethical issue and God knows what else.  I think you can understand why I reacted the way I did considering the circumstances.  I sent in that message last night fully expecting to give a little more clarification if it was needed, but certainly didn't plan on things blowing this far out of proportion.  Believe me when I say that my intentions are on the level.

            Really, the bottom line is...if someone wants to help out, they can...and I'll definitely acknowledge them in some way.  If someone doesn't - even it's because they don't necessarily believe in my production style - that's their prerogative.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
              On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Robert Becker <rdbecker@...> wrote:
              > Kevin, I have no interest in making enemies here and no apologies are necessary.

              One thing that's not lacking in this group is passion. :)

              Kevin