Re: [podcasters] Anyone do podcasts for a company?

  • Brains Matter
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 27, 2008
      Many thanks Steve!

      --
      Brains Matter Podcast
      Melbourne, Australia
      email: mail@...
      podcast feed: iTunes or http://feeds.feedburner.com/BrainsMatter
      web: http://www.brainsmatter.com/
      facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=15916010022

      On 25/07/2008, at 11:41 PM, Stephen Eley wrote:

> [...]
      > 20-30
      > > min podcasts for their own website.
      >
      > Sounds good. It'd probably be a good idea to get the expectations set
      > a bit more clearly in writing, perhaps with a proposal or a scope
      > document.
      >
      > > a) What are the 'gotchas' in doing this for a commercial
      > organisation
      > > - eg. IP
      >
      > Have a contractor's agreement in place before you start. I can't tell
      > you what your agreement should say because I don't live in your
      > country; about half of such an agreement in the U.S. would be about
      > the tax differences between contractors and employees. As for IP, the
      > expectation of most such agreements would be that you're performing
      > this as work-for-hire, and they own the stuff you produce. Which is
      > entirely reasonable, but ought to be in writing and you ought to be
      > paid properly for it.
      >
      > > b) How much would seem like a reasonable cost? I'm not a
      > > 'professional' audio/media person, and I know professionals charge
      > an
      > > arm or a leg, but at the same time don't want to be a quick and
      > dirty
      > > solution just in case this leads to other things in the future
      >
      > Again, I have no idea what's reasonable for _you._ The relevant
      > question isn't really "What's the market rate," but rather, "What is
      > my time worth?" Figure out what you need to be paid in order to
      > maintain the life you're living and make the time you'd spend
      > worthwhile relative to other things you could be doing in the same
      > time. Then charge a small to moderate premium above that. If they
      > want to negotiate and you've left room for negotiation, fine. But if
      > they can't pay you what _you_ decide you need to make the time worth
      > it... Then it just isn't worth it, and it's a bad fit for you.
      >
      > In all the contracting work I do, whether it's podcasting or software
      > development or anything else, my base rate is $60/hour. Colleagues
      > tell me that's too cheap. But it's the rate I decided would make the
      > time worthwhile, and would cover a reasonable salary if I was at 50%
      > utilization. It's also a lot easier to _find_ work when I want it at
      > $60/hour than it would be at $100/hour, and it lets me work for
      > smaller businesses, which I like better. I don't know what the market
      > rate is and I really don't care. This is a fair price for what my
      > time is worth.
      >
      > > c) Any other comments/hints you may have (-:
      >
      > 1.) Avoid fixed rate on an open-ended project. (Actually, "avoid
      > fixed rate" is good advice in general.)
      > 2.) Perform agile development. Don't just get the requirements, go
      > away for a long time, and figure you'll show it to them when you have
      > complete episodes in the can. Get as much client feedback as you can
      > every step of the way. You're more likely to deliver the podcast they
      > _want_ that way, and both of you will be more satisfied.

    • Robin
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 28, 2008
        Steve always has great suggestions.

        Here are a couple of mine:

        1.  Clarify what they want vs. what they need AND what you can provide specifically.  Dig deep early.
        2.  Layout your idea of the whole process from steps to time to result.  Your goal should be "No Surprises!" for them or for you.
        3.  Clarify some more...  What is the intent, goal, desired outcome?  Call to action?  Informational?  One time? Recurring?  Who will craft the message?  Who are the decision makers in the process?  Are these the same people who will approve the final product?  What is the final product?  What form?  Where do they want to record?  How long?  How short?  How many people at a time?  Will you be doing the interview or someone else?
        4.  Having a draft "contract" can be a framework to talk from.

        all the best,

        Robin
        http://www.robinmaiden.com

      • Nancy Munro
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 28, 2008
          We produce several podcasts for companies. We are doing both audio and video. Most of these are for training applications or marketing programs. Many of these companies are using Audacity and Camtasia but just don't have the time to make them look and sound professional.

        • Brains Matter
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 29, 2008
            Many thanks Robin!

            --

            On 29/07/2008, at 1:36 AM, Robin wrote:

            > Steve always has great suggestions.
            >
            > Here are a couple of mine:
            >
            > 1. Clarify what they want vs. what they need AND what you can
            > provide specifically. Dig deep early.
            > 2. Layout your idea of the whole process from steps to time to
            > result. Your goal should be "No Surprises!" for them or for you.
            > 3. Clarify some more... What is the intent, goal, desired
            > outcome? Call to action? Informational? One time? Recurring? Who
            > will craft the message? Who are the decision makers in the
            > process? Are these the same people who will approve the final
            > product? What is the final product? What form? Where do they want
            > to record? How long? How short? How many people at a time? Will
            > you be doing the interview or someone else?
            > 4. Having a draft "contract" can be a framework to talk from.
            >
            > all the best,
            >
            > Robin
            > http://www.robinmaiden.com

          • David
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 30, 2008
              -Robin, do you have a sample draft contract to share?
            • David Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 31, 2008
                It was 28 Jul 2008, when Nancy Munro commented:

                > We produce several podcasts for companies. We are doing both audio and
                > video. Most of these are for training applications or marketing programs.
                > Many of these companies are using Audacity and Camtasia but just don't have
                > the time to make them look and sound professional.

                First tool I would use, Levelator, from The Conversations Network. Drop a
                WAV file on it, it does a standard set of stuff to the file, assuming it's
                an audio file of speaking-only, producing a file that is useable for
                podcasting -- assuming the first assumption is correct.

                --

                Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2008
                  Sorry, no contracts here...

                • Tim Street
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 1, 2008
                    I do.

                    Tim Street
                    Creator/Executive Producer
                    French Maid TV
                    tim@...
                    Add French Maid TV to Your iTunes @
                    http://frenchmaidtv.com/itunes
                    http://1timstreet.com
                    http://twitter.com/1timstreet

                    On Aug 1, 2008, at 7:06 PM, Robin wrote:

                    > Sorry, no contracts here...

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
                      -Tim could you send me a blank one so i could see what to write in mine,

                      Dave
                    • Brains Matter
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
                        Interested in seeing them Tim (-:
                        (If you're willing to share that is)

                        OG
                        --

                        On 02/08/2008, at 12:10 PM, Tim Street wrote:

                        > I do.
                        >
                        > Tim Street
                        > Creator/Executive Producer
                        > French Maid TV
                        > tim@...
                        > Add French Maid TV to Your iTunes @
                        > http://frenchmaidtv.com/itunes
                        > http://1timstreet.com
                        > http://twitter.com/1timstreet
                        >
                        > On Aug 1, 2008, at 7:06 PM, Robin wrote:
                        >
                        > > Sorry, no contracts here...

                      • janemarkham
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 5, 2008
                          Hi

                          I make podcasts for several organisations and companies and I agree with much of what
                          has been written.

                          I would add that there is quite a difference between making a personal podcast and
                          making one for a company in that you will be towing their company line and its important
                          that you are comfortable with the fact that they will be in editorial control.

                          From my experience there are companies who have a very relaxed approach to the work
                          you produce for them and hardly ever want to change a thing....and there are those who
                          want many edits per episode (I have even had clients that want a transcript and want to
                          edit out words in the way they would edit text and you have to explain that the edits they
                          want won't work with the inflection of the voice and the flow of the piece!). You'll have to
                          use you gut feeling on this when you meet the people - although its not always easy to
                          tell.

                          I would therefore add in to your quote an allowance for the time to make multiple changes
                          - and you will make those changes, after all they are calling the shots and you don't want
                          to upset a client.

                          And of course once you start charging for your services you will be a 'professional' by
                          default!

                          Good luck,

                          Jane
                          Jane Markham
                          www.podcats.co.uk
                          jane@...
                          Winners of a silver award in the Excellence in Tourism Awards for Talking the Walk