mobile recording on the cheap

  • Braindouche!
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
      Hey folks,

      I've recently found myself in the market for a little hand-held
      digital recorder, mostly because my wife said that she'd like to
      record the deep conversations we have in the car and said I could buy
      one.

      The only problem is my budget is pretty minuscule. I don't have more
      than 75 bucks to spend, and that prices me way the hell out of the
      market for a used Zoom or M-Audio Microtrack or edirol or Marantz or
      even a second-gen minidisc thingy. So, my choices seem to be a used
      iRiver, one of a bazillion off-brand recording mp3 players, or a used
      high-end digital dictation recorder thingy, specifically an Olympus
      DS-30.

      I've found thoroughly mixed reviews on the iRiver, and the consensus
      so far seems to be that if i record with a $200 dollar microphone I
      should be good to go. The entire world went "oooh, Olympus is courting
      the podcast market" right before they released the DS-30, and then...
      nothing. I can't find anyone who actually bought one of the damn
      things. and I don't trust off-brand mp3 players, mostly because it's a
      pain in the neck to find reliable specs.

      Anybody have experience with this stuff? Am I missing a totally
      obvious option? What would you do with your 75 smackers?

      Thanks,
      ~Mer
      www.braindouche.net
    • John McJunkin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
        In the course of writing a lot of pro audio product reviews over the
        years, I have discovered that generally speaking, there's not always
        a perfect linear correlation between price and performance. In other
        words, if you shop a bit, you can get technology at a decent price
        that performs really well. One notable exception to that rule of
        thumb is in the domain of handheld recorders. After some
        experimentation and test-driving (and chats with my audio journalism
        brethren) I have reached the conclusion that in the domain of
        handheld recorders, you very much get what you pay for. The super-
        cheapie business-oriented units ($50-150 range,) while fine for
        sketching out ideas while you drive cross-country, simply will not
        delivery high-quality recordings, either due to the mic(s,) the
        analog electronics, the converters, or some combination of all these
        things. I would respectfully submit that in order to get good
        recordings, you need to get at least into the $200-plus range if not
        double that. Obviously if you buy a Sony PDM-D1, it's going to sound
        really good, but they cost $1500.

        Put more simply, there are some devices on which you can afford to
        "cheap out" or at least be frugal. Handheld recorders, in my
        experience, are not among these devices.

        My $.02

        Happy Thursday everybody!

        John F. McJunkin
        Avalon Podcasting, LLC
        877-MY-PODCAST
        (877-697-6322)
        480-219-8800 (in AZ)
        866-401-2354 FAX
        john@...
        http://www.avalonpodcasting.com

        On Jul 3, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Braindouche! wrote:

        > Hey folks,

      • Stephen Nelson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
          Hmm... if that's the case, perhaps we need to rethink the requirements a
          bit. Do you have a laptop? If so, could you perhaps buy an AC adapter, a
          $75 pair of mikes, and record on the laptop? (With whoever's not driving
          running the laptop, of course... not worth getting into an accident.)

          John McJunkin wrote:
          > In the course of writing a lot of pro audio product reviews over the
          >

          >> Hey folks,

        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008