Promo feedback requested

  • Stephen Nelson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30 10:06 PM
      Hello all...

      I've had a more-or-less unused promo for the Skeptical Viewer kicking
      around for a while now. If anyone's interested, I'd be interested in
      some feedback. Also looking for ideas on who might be a good podcast
      for promo exchange-- I think of us in the "friendly skeptic" category.

      You can find the promo here:

      http://www.skepticalviewer.com/podcasts/sv_promo.mp3
    • Calvin Powers
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
        Good promo! The only thing I'd suggest is to repeat the site URL at the very
        end. I thonk you'd want the URL to be the last thing they hear.

        On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Stephen Nelson <stephenenelson@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello all...
        >
        > I've had a more-or-less unused promo for the Skeptical Viewer kicking
        > around for a while now. If anyone's interested, I'd be interested in
        > some feedback. Also looking for ideas on who might be a good podcast
        > for promo exchange-- I think of us in the "friendly skeptic" category.
        >
        > You can find the promo here:
        >
        > http://www.skepticalviewer.com/podcasts/sv_promo.mp3

      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
          I think it's a great promo! It really makes me want to listen to your podcast.

          Kevin
          sisco83@...
          http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
            It was 30 Jun 2008, when Stephen Nelson commented:

            > Hello all...
            >
            > I've had a more-or-less unused promo for the Skeptical Viewer kicking
            > around for a while now. If anyone's interested, I'd be interested in some
            > feedback. Also looking for ideas on who might be a good podcast for promo
            > exchange-- I think of us in the "friendly skeptic" category.
            >
            > You can find the promo here:
            >
            > http://www.skepticalviewer.com/podcasts/sv_promo.mp3

            I agree with the thought of adding the URL to the end. Like the pace,
            though it does end rather abruptly.

            As for exchanges, just from the promo, the tone sounds a bit like
            "Bloodthirsty Vegetarians." Rich, you up for this?

            Most on-topic exchange off the top of my head would be Steve Eley's
            Pseudopod, his horror podcast -- I mean hey, they talk about ghosts and
            whatnot. ;-)

            "It's only a Podcast... It's only a Podcast..."

            --

            Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
            Twitter: <https://twitter.com/grizzlysgrowls>
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
              On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 18:04 -0500, David Smith wrote:

              Hi all,

              > As for exchanges, just from the promo, the tone sounds a bit like
              > "Bloodthirsty Vegetarians." Rich, you up for this?

              Hey David, I'm not sure what you're asking me.

              Best,
              Rich...
            • David Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                It was 1 Jul 2008, when Rich commented:

                > On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 18:04 -0500, David Smith wrote:
                >
                > Hi all,
                >
                > > As for exchanges, just from the promo, the tone sounds a bit like
                > > "Bloodthirsty Vegetarians." Rich, you up for this?
                >
                > Hey David, I'm not sure what you're asking me.
                >
                > Best,
                > Rich...

                Well, listening to the promo, there's a bit of similarity in tone.
                Different focus. Haven't heard the show, though, no clue if the show
                itself is similar.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                  I think he's asking if you'll do a promo exchange with me. If so, please
                  contact me off-list. :)

                  Rich wrote:
                  > On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 18:04 -0500, David Smith wrote:
                  >
                  > Hi all,
                  >

                  >> As for exchanges, just from the promo, the tone sounds a bit like
                  >> "Bloodthirsty Vegetarians." Rich, you up for this?
                  >>

                  > Hey David, I'm not sure what you're asking me.
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > Rich...

                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                    On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 20:24 -0500, David Smith wrote:

                    You think the tone of the Promo is like our promo, or like our show?

                    Rich...

                    > Well, listening to the promo, there's a bit of similarity in tone.
                    > Different focus. Haven't heard the show, though, no clue if the show
                    > itself is similar.
                  • David Smith
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                      It was 1 Jul 2008, when Rich commented:

                      > On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 20:24 -0500, David Smith wrote:
                      >
                      > You think the tone of the Promo is like our promo, or like our show?
                      >
                      > Rich...
                      >
                      > > Well, listening to the promo, there's a bit of similarity in tone.
                      > > Different focus. Haven't heard the show, though, no clue if the show
                      > > itself is similar.

                      That's my general impression, yes, that their promo is like your show. On
                      the other hand, that's my impression from the -promo-, since I haven't
                      heard the -show-. So it's a judgement call on your part.

                      Which seems like what it would be anyway, so it's all good. ;-)

                      I'd promo it to both of the people who listen to my show, but that somehow
                      seems counterproductive. I might lose both subscribers. And one of them
                      is me.

                      Doing a promo for your show on mine, on the other hand, is fine -- half my
                      audience already listens, as to which I can personally attest.

                      ;-)

                      Doncha love micromarkets?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                        Tell you what. I've just subscribed to Bloodthirsty Vegetarians. If I
                        think it's a match, I'll be in touch. Looks like fun in any event.

                        On Jul 1, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Rich wrote:

                        > On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 20:24 -0500, David Smith wrote:
                        >
                        > You think the tone of the Promo is like our promo, or like our show?
                        >
                        > Rich...
                        >
                        >> Well, listening to the promo, there's a bit of similarity in tone.
                        >> Different focus. Haven't heard the show, though, no clue if the show
                        >> itself is similar.

                      • Stephen Nelson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                          Thanks for your feedback, everyone. I've re-recorded my sections with
                          a Snowball and moved the URL to the end.

                          The result is here:

                          http://www.skepticalviewer.com/podcasts/promo_2.mp3

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
                            On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 21:46 -0500, David Smith wrote:

                            I always thought Bloodthirsty Vegetarians were sort of unique. ;-)

                            Then again, I can't really say since John and I are the "talent" on BV.

                            I leave those comparisons to your good offices.

                            Best,
                            Rich...

                            --
                            Bloodthirsty Vegetarians Podcast, www.bloodyveg.com

                            Robust progressive conversation shared over a bottle of good wine,
                            tempered with humor and independent music.

                            > > You think the tone of the Promo is like our promo, or like our show?
                            > >
                            > > > Well, listening to the promo, there's a bit of similarity in tone.
                            > >
                            > > Rich...
                            >
                            > > > Different focus. Haven't heard the show, though, no clue if the
                            > show
                            > > > itself is similar.
                            >
                            > That's my general impression, yes, that their promo is like your show.
                            > On
                            > the other hand, that's my impression from the -promo-, since I
                            > haven't
                            > heard the -show-. So it's a judgement call on your part.
                            >
                            > Which seems like what it would be anyway, so it's all good. ;-)
                            >
                            > I'd promo it to both of the people who listen to my show, but that
                            > somehow
                            > seems counterproductive. I might lose both subscribers. And one of
                            > them
                            > is me.
                            >
                            > Doing a promo for your show on mine, on the other hand, is fine --
                            > half my
                            > audience already listens, as to which I can personally attest.
                            >
                            > ;-)
                            >
                            > Doncha love micromarkets?
                          • kscolligan
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 2, 2008
                              Sounds pretty good.

                              It's not too close to my 'cast, content-wise, but I'd imagine there
                              might be some crossover interest. I'll slate it in for a future Well
                              Told Tales episode.

                              Cheers,
                              Kevin

                              Well Told Tales