Re: [podcasters] Has any one ever heard of Phonic?

  • Richard Amirault
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 25 8:55 AM
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Brian Ibbott"

      >I just picked up a Phonic Helix FireWire 12 to replace a Phonic Helix
      > USB 12, and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into the same
      > problem. The USB mixer outputs each microphone input as stereo, while
      > the FireWire outputs each input as mono, meaning you'd have to plug a
      > pair of mics into inputs 1 and 2 to get a stereo sound. Is this
      > correct, or have I got something set incorrectly on the mixer?

      Sending a standard (mono) mic to both left and right channels is *not*
      stereo. If you want "stereo" you'll need two mics, or a stereo mic.

      Richard Amirault
      Boston, MA, USA
      http://n1jdu.org
      http://bostonfandom.org
    • Brian Ibbott
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
        Still having the issue (had to move back to the USB mixer for my
        shows), but really want to use the FireWire at some point soon.

        Are you going form an XLR microphone cable to a 1/4" input into the
        mixer, or is your cable XLR on both ends? And I'm 99% sure that my mic
        is stereo - it's a Shure KSM27 - although I can't find any details
        about it being stereo or mono. Anyone out there using the same mic,
        and can tell me for sure?

        Thanks,
        Brian Ibbott
        Coverville Media

        P.S. Hope to see you all at the Coverville 500 Concert in Las Vegas
        during the New Media Expo. Featuring: Jonathan Coulton, Richard
        Cheese, Chance and the Choir, Dr. Floyd, Natalie Gelman and your host
        for the evening, Dan Klass. (www.coverville500.com)

      • John McJunkin
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
          Hey Brian - the Shure KSM27 is definitely not a stereo mic. I
          remember seeing these demonstrated on a rainy night at NRG studios in
          Hollywood by Eddie Kramer (of Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin fame.)
          Should be a pretty good mic for voice work.

          Looking forward to the Coverville 500 concert - should be fun!

          Best,

          John F. McJunkin
          Avalon Podcasting, LLC
          877-MY-PODCAST
          (877-697-6322)
          480-219-8800 (in AZ)
          866-401-2354 FAX
          john@...
          http://www.avalonpodcasting.com

        • Steve Riekeberg
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
            Unless it prominently and explicitly states stereo, it's not a stereo mic.
            In your case, the KSM27 is *not* a stereo mic. Microphones are usually not
            stereo. Think about it, the human voice is only mono, and stereo is only for
            special uses. Even if the final output is in stereo, in the case of the
            microphone channels, the source is still mono, and it's just being
            duplicated to be on both the left and right channels.

            Hope this helps,

            Steve Riekeberg
            Host, Geek Cred
            <http://www.geekcred.net>

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
              Ah - well that solves the issue. I was thinking this whole time that
              my Shure was a stereo mic.
              Thanks for the clarification!

              Time to start looking at stereo mics if I want to fully utilize the
              FireWire mixer.

              Brian Ibbott
              Coverville Media

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
                What exactly makes you think you need/should have a stereo mic?

                Steve Riekeberg
                Host, Geek Cred
                <http://www.geekcred.net>