Re: [podcasters] Has any one ever heard of Phonic?

  • Martin McKeay
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 25, 2008
      I'm using the same mixer and I'm not having that problem at all. I have my
      mic on line 1 with a slight pan to the left on that channel. I have my
      skype coming out through the built in sound card on my motherboard into
      lines 7&8, with a slight pan to the right on the mixer. Not noticeable
      unless you're listening for it, but it does give a little sense of
      separation of the speakers in the final recording. I have the low cut
      filter on, and I have a slight boost to the high and low ranges for my
      channel. I'm recording into Audacity using the Main L/R and 2 channel
      stereo. I haven't really tried using Audition 2.0 to record, since Audacity
      works and I know it'll continue working, even though once I've recorded the
      base audio and run it through Levalator I mix the whole thing together in
      Audition.

      I really do need to go back and read the instruction manual one of these
      days to see if I'm doing it right, but it's working for now and I'm planning
      on changing anything.

      Hope that helps,

      Martin

      Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
      Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
      and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
      Email: martin@...
      YIM: mmckeay@...
      TwitterID: mckeay
      (W) 707-495-7926

      On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Brian Ibbott <brian_jm@...> wrote:

      > I just picked up a Phonic Helix FireWire 12 to replace a Phonic Helix
      > USB 12, and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into the same
      > problem. The USB mixer outputs each microphone input as stereo, while
      > the FireWire outputs each input as mono, meaning you'd have to plug a
      > pair of mics into inputs 1 and 2 to get a stereo sound. Is this
      > correct, or have I got something set incorrectly on the mixer?
      >
      > Brian Ibbott
      > Coverville.com
      >

      > On Feb 10, 2008, at 9:35 AM, Paul Puri wrote:
      >
      > > On Feb 10, 2008 8:18 AM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Phonic is a very underappreciated brand. I have one of their powered
      > > > mixers
      > > > I use on smaller gigs. I had a conversaton with one of their reps
      > > about
      > > > the
      > > > brand at NAMM and came away very impressed. My experience with
      > > them is
      > > > nothing but positive.
      > > >

      > > Phonic has been around for about 30 years and started out in live
      > > audio
      > > gear. They have branched out into recording gear, and they
      > > consistently get
      > > great reviews on their products in well known audio magazines.
      > >
      > > My favorite is the Firewire 12:
      > >
      > > http://astore.amazon.com/unsignedpodca-20?node=3&page=3
      > >
      > > I have not used Phonic since being in a band, but have never had
      > > issue with
      > > them.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Paul Puri
      > >
      > > New media with an independent spirit:
      > > http://puripodcastproductions.com
      > >
      > > My gear recommendations:
      > > http://podsafegear.com
      > >
      > > Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
      > > http://twitter.com/paulpuri
      > >
      > > Promotion without shame.
      > > Podcasting Announcements
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/podcastingannouncements/

    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 25, 2008
        From: "Brian Ibbott"

        >I just picked up a Phonic Helix FireWire 12 to replace a Phonic Helix
        > USB 12, and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into the same
        > problem. The USB mixer outputs each microphone input as stereo, while
        > the FireWire outputs each input as mono, meaning you'd have to plug a
        > pair of mics into inputs 1 and 2 to get a stereo sound. Is this
        > correct, or have I got something set incorrectly on the mixer?

        Sending a standard (mono) mic to both left and right channels is *not*
        stereo. If you want "stereo" you'll need two mics, or a stereo mic.

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • Brian Ibbott
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
          Still having the issue (had to move back to the USB mixer for my
          shows), but really want to use the FireWire at some point soon.

          Are you going form an XLR microphone cable to a 1/4" input into the
          mixer, or is your cable XLR on both ends? And I'm 99% sure that my mic
          is stereo - it's a Shure KSM27 - although I can't find any details
          about it being stereo or mono. Anyone out there using the same mic,
          and can tell me for sure?

          Thanks,
          Brian Ibbott
          Coverville Media

          P.S. Hope to see you all at the Coverville 500 Concert in Las Vegas
          during the New Media Expo. Featuring: Jonathan Coulton, Richard
          Cheese, Chance and the Choir, Dr. Floyd, Natalie Gelman and your host
          for the evening, Dan Klass. (www.coverville500.com)

        • John McJunkin
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
            Hey Brian - the Shure KSM27 is definitely not a stereo mic. I
            remember seeing these demonstrated on a rainy night at NRG studios in
            Hollywood by Eddie Kramer (of Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin fame.)
            Should be a pretty good mic for voice work.

            Looking forward to the Coverville 500 concert - should be fun!

            Best,

            John F. McJunkin
            Avalon Podcasting, LLC
            877-MY-PODCAST
            (877-697-6322)
            480-219-8800 (in AZ)
            866-401-2354 FAX
            john@...
            http://www.avalonpodcasting.com

          • Steve Riekeberg
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
              Unless it prominently and explicitly states stereo, it's not a stereo mic.
              In your case, the KSM27 is *not* a stereo mic. Microphones are usually not
              stereo. Think about it, the human voice is only mono, and stereo is only for
              special uses. Even if the final output is in stereo, in the case of the
              microphone channels, the source is still mono, and it's just being
              duplicated to be on both the left and right channels.

              Hope this helps,

              Steve Riekeberg
              Host, Geek Cred
              <http://www.geekcred.net>

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
                Ah - well that solves the issue. I was thinking this whole time that
                my Shure was a stereo mic.
                Thanks for the clarification!

                Time to start looking at stereo mics if I want to fully utilize the
                FireWire mixer.

                Brian Ibbott
                Coverville Media

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
                  What exactly makes you think you need/should have a stereo mic?

                  Steve Riekeberg
                  Host, Geek Cred
                  <http://www.geekcred.net>