Re: Who makes up your audience?

  • J.C. Hutchins
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2008
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Becker" <rdbecker@...> wrote:

      > What percentage of your audience is a non-podcaster versus podcaster?

      With no disrespect to Robert, I must ask: Is this community so insular
      -- and the echo chamber so prevalent -- that folks even have to ask
      this question? Unless a program's target demographic is podcasters
      themselves, every show's audience should *overwhelmingly* be people
      who do not podcast.

      > What are you doing to attract the non-podcaster to your show?

      If a 'caster is effectively promoting his/her program using the
      tried-and-true promo exchange method, or evangelizing their content
      beyond "inside baseball" communities such as this one, or asking
      listeners to evangelize of his/her behalf -- or better still, coming
      up with better, unconventional zero-budget marketing methods -- then
      by sheer statistical odds, the "default" listener will be a
      non-podcaster.

      > Do those non-podcaster listeners stick around?

      The rules for wowing -- and growing -- audiences have never changed.
      If the content slays, the listener stays.
    • Robert Becker
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2008
        It was merely a question to get a few different takes on how other
        podcasters see their audience.

        Rob

        > What percentage of your audience is a non-podcaster versus podcaster?

        With no disrespect to Robert, I must ask: Is this community so insular
        -- and the echo chamber so prevalent -- that folks even have to ask
        this question? Unless a program's target demographic is podcasters
        themselves, every show's audience should *overwhelmingly* be people
        who do not podcast.

        > What are you doing to attract the non-podcaster to your show?

        If a 'caster is effectively promoting his/her program using the
        tried-and-true promo exchange method, or evangelizing their content
        beyond "inside baseball" communities such as this one, or asking
        listeners to evangelize of his/her behalf -- or better still, coming
        up with better, unconventional zero-budget marketing methods -- then
        by sheer statistical odds, the "default" listener will be a
        non-podcaster.

        > Do those non-podcaster listeners stick around?

        The rules for wowing -- and growing -- audiences have never changed.
        If the content slays, the listener stays.

      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2008
          I am afraid I must agree. It makes sense that the audience is a non-caster.

          Kevin
          sisco83@...
          http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco