Who makes up your audience?

  • Robert Becker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2008
      What percentage of your audience is a non-podcaster versus podcaster? What
      are you doing to attract the non-podcaster to your show? Do those
      non-podcaster listeners stick around? One of the keys to helping this
      medium succeed is attracting the non-podcaster audience and retaining those
      listeners. Your thoughts?

      Rob

      RDB Media
      voiceovers | imaging | creative
      http://www.rdbmedia. com <http://www.rdbmedia.%20com>
      you've never sounded so good

      RDB Media comes to life in six days.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2008
        On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Robert Becker <rdbecker@...> wrote:
        > What percentage of your audience is a non-podcaster versus podcaster?

        I don't think this is an answerable question for most, because most of
        us don't have that much knowledge of our audiences. It'd be fabulous
        to be able to say, "Of the 18,907 downloads of my last episode, 1,512
        of the people who listened are podcasters. Oh, and 12,911 listened in
        their cars, 8,504 are cat owners, and one was a podcaster who ran over
        a cat while listening."

        How are you going to know this? You could put up a survey, sure, but
        then what's the incentive to complete it? And how do you know that
        those who completed it represent an even sample?

        And...why does it matter?

        > What
        > are you doing to attract the non-podcaster to your show? Do those
        > non-podcaster listeners stick around? One of the keys to helping this
        > medium succeed is attracting the non-podcaster audience and retaining those
        > listeners. Your thoughts?

        I used to do a podcast about podcasting. (The late lamented
        Podholes.) That is the *only* case in which a podcaster should be
        marketing to other podcasters. If you're not doing a P.A.P. and
        you're spending most of your promotional effort on podcast
        communities, you're wasting your energy.

        My main podcast is a science fiction story podcast. It's pretty
        successful. My marketing has been maybe 5% deliberate time and money
        spent within the science fiction community (going to conventions,
        participating within SF communities, distributing bookmarks, etc.) and
        95% word-of-mouth. Most people who come to Escape Pod found it
        because somebody else recommended it. The iTunes page, or BoingBoing,
        or another podcast, or their cousin Larry.

        I try hard to encourage word-of-mouth. At the end of the show, I
        *don't* ask people to vote for me on Podcast Alley, or Podcast Pickle,
        or any of the podcast-centric communities. I say, "If you liked this
        week's story, please tell a friend, or blog about us." When I check
        my Technorati links
        (http://technorati.com/blogs/escapepod.org?reactions) I feel that the
        "blog about us" request has some pretty good legs behind it. Those
        people are reaching far more people than I could on my own.

        Do they keep listening? Well, my audience doesn't plummet between
        episodes, in fact it keeps growing incrementally, so I assume most of
        them do. *How* do I "retain non-podcasters?" I don't think that's
        any different from retaining podcasters. I try to put up content
        every week that doesn't bore them. (See, my theory is this: If they
        think I'm more interesting than other things they could do with the
        same time, they'll listen. If I bore them too often, they'll stop. I
        know that's far-fetched, but it's worked for me.)

        As implied above, I have no clue how many of the listeners are
        podcasters, but whatever that percentage is, it's incidental. I'm
        hanging out on lists like this because I enjoy it and like to talk
        about this stuff, not to market my podcast. I think you'll find that
        most of the regulars here are about fun and community more than
        self-promotion. And most of the podcasters who really care about
        growing their audiences aren't coming to places like this to do it.

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • J.C. Hutchins
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 24, 2008
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Becker" <rdbecker@...> wrote:

          > What percentage of your audience is a non-podcaster versus podcaster?

          With no disrespect to Robert, I must ask: Is this community so insular
          -- and the echo chamber so prevalent -- that folks even have to ask
          this question? Unless a program's target demographic is podcasters
          themselves, every show's audience should *overwhelmingly* be people
          who do not podcast.

          > What are you doing to attract the non-podcaster to your show?

          If a 'caster is effectively promoting his/her program using the
          tried-and-true promo exchange method, or evangelizing their content
          beyond "inside baseball" communities such as this one, or asking
          listeners to evangelize of his/her behalf -- or better still, coming
          up with better, unconventional zero-budget marketing methods -- then
          by sheer statistical odds, the "default" listener will be a
          non-podcaster.

          > Do those non-podcaster listeners stick around?

          The rules for wowing -- and growing -- audiences have never changed.
          If the content slays, the listener stays.
        • Robert Becker
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 24, 2008
            It was merely a question to get a few different takes on how other
            podcasters see their audience.

            Rob

            > What percentage of your audience is a non-podcaster versus podcaster?

            With no disrespect to Robert, I must ask: Is this community so insular
            -- and the echo chamber so prevalent -- that folks even have to ask
            this question? Unless a program's target demographic is podcasters
            themselves, every show's audience should *overwhelmingly* be people
            who do not podcast.

            > What are you doing to attract the non-podcaster to your show?

            If a 'caster is effectively promoting his/her program using the
            tried-and-true promo exchange method, or evangelizing their content
            beyond "inside baseball" communities such as this one, or asking
            listeners to evangelize of his/her behalf -- or better still, coming
            up with better, unconventional zero-budget marketing methods -- then
            by sheer statistical odds, the "default" listener will be a
            non-podcaster.

            > Do those non-podcaster listeners stick around?

            The rules for wowing -- and growing -- audiences have never changed.
            If the content slays, the listener stays.

          • Kevin
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 2008
              I am afraid I must agree. It makes sense that the audience is a non-caster.

              Kevin
              sisco83@...
              http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco