What is phonecasting? Is it related to podcasting?

  • john.marsh2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
      Dear all, I have visted a site Phonecasting.com but I cant understand
      the concept of Phonecasting. Can anybody explain what is phonecasting
      and how it is different from podcasting?
    • Raymond B. Normandeau NYC
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
        I did some years ago, 1980's, segments actually. Did for fun for a NYC friend as "the anonymous announcer" as I am an AFTRA member and did it for free.

        Did the recording from my end and at the other end people would call in and listen.

        An AFTRA member I know ran a news service for community business and made $.

        Several phone lines in a "hunt group"

        http://groups.google.com/group/comp.dcom.telecom/
        should have experts to answer questions

        --
        Make regional or international calls for 2.9CPM! Works as prepaid phone card. PIN not needed for calls from home or cell phone. Compare the rates at https://www.OneSuite.com No monthly fee or minimum. Use Promotion/SuiteTreat Code: "FREEoffer23" for FREE time. Works FROM many other countries.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
          It sounds like the phonecasting site allows you to record directly to
          the site with a microphone, or to record a podcast by calling a number
          on your phone. Other than that it seems to be one of many sites that
          allow you to create on the fly and house your podcast on their site.

          --P.G. Holyfield

          **************************************

          http://pgholyfield.com/maah - Murder at Avedon Hill
          http://community.podiobooks.com - Podiobooks Community website
          Twitter: PGHolyfield
          Skype: pgholyfield

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "john.marsh2000"
          <john.marsh2000@...> wrote:

          > Dear all, I have visted a site Phonecasting.com but I cant understand
          > the concept of Phonecasting. Can anybody explain what is phonecasting
          > and how it is different from podcasting?

        • John McJunkin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
            More importantly, their main schtick is to make podcasts available
            via telephone - you dial in to hear the podcast - no regular internet
            connection required.

            John F. McJunkin
            Avalon Podcasting, LLC
            877-MY-PODCAST
            (877-697-6322)
            480-219-8800 (in AZ)
            866-401-2354 FAX
            john@...
            http://www.avalonpodcasting.com

            On Jun 23, 2008, at 1:19 PM, P.G. Holyfield wrote:

            > It sounds like the phonecasting site allows you to record directly to
            > the site with a microphone, or to record a podcast by calling a number
            > on your phone. Other than that it seems to be one of many sites that
            > allow you to create on the fly and house your podcast on their site.
            >
            > --P.G. Holyfield
            >
            > **************************************
            >
            > http://pgholyfield.com/maah - Murder at Avedon Hill
            > http://community.podiobooks.com - Podiobooks Community website
            > Twitter: PGHolyfield
            > Skype: pgholyfield
            >
            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "john.marsh2000"
            > <john.marsh2000@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear all, I have visted a site Phonecasting.com but I cant
            > understand
            > > the concept of Phonecasting. Can anybody explain what is
            > phonecasting
            > > and how it is different from podcasting?

          • Robert Becker
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
              Is this something people really want to do?  I can't imagine there are too many people who are going to use their phone to listen to a podcast.
              RDB Media
              voiceovers | imaging | creative
              http://www.rdbmedia com
              you've never sounded so good

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
                On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Robert Becker <rdbecker@...> wrote:
                > Is this something people really want to do? I can't imagine there are too many people who are going to use their phone to listen to a podcast.

                At least half a dozen startups have tried to get into the "Listen to
                podcasts on your phone!" space in the past couple of years. I _still_
                haven't seen any evidence that that demand exists. I've listed with a
                couple of them at different times, but they never made up a measurable
                portion of my download count.

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • Raymond B. Normandeau NYC
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
                  The only one I listen to is
                  "TellMe"

                  Its time was in the 1980's

                  Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail. com)
                  http://www.escapepo d.org
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
                    On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Raymond B. Normandeau NYC
                    <ray60273@...> wrote:
                    > The only one I listen to is
                    > "TellMe"
                    > Its time was in the 1980's

                    You must be talking about something else. This list is about
                    podcasts, which are downloadable media files people can subscribe to
                    over the Internet. "Downloadable" means capable of being transmitted
                    from a server to a client. The "server" and "client" are both
                    computers. The Internet is...

                    Oh, never mind. It's a series of tubes.

                    http://www.escapepod.org
                  • David Smith
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 24, 2008
                      It was 23 Jun 2008, when Stephen Eley commented:

                      > On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Robert Becker <rdbecker@...> wrote:
                      > > Is this something people really want to do? I can't imagine there are
                      > too many people who are going to use their phone to listen to a podcast.
                      >
                      > At least half a dozen startups have tried to get into the "Listen to
                      > podcasts on your phone!" space in the past couple of years. I _still_
                      > haven't seen any evidence that that demand exists. I've listed with a
                      > couple of them at different times, but they never made up a measurable
                      > portion of my download count.

                      I'd have to agree. And most of the phones used, by people who can figure
                      out -this-, could just play a much better quality MP3 podcast downloaded
                      over WiFi, for example.

                      --

                      Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                      Twitter: <https://twitter.com/grizzlysgrowls>