I am working to understand the relationship between RSS & Feedburner.

  • Martin Brossman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2008
      I am working to understand the relationship between RSS & Feedburner.

      It seems like a standard podcast comes with an RSS feed but you need to
      create a feedburner feed by signing up with Feedburner. So If someone
      signs up for just your direct RSS feed than it will not go through
      Feedburner and you will not get stats on the podcast??

      For examples Feedburner says that the Original Feed is:
      http://inquireonline.info/?feed=podcast
      <http://inquireonline.info/?feed=podcast>
      And the Feedburner feed it:
      http://feeds.feedburner.com/inquireonline
      <http://feeds.feedburner.com/inquireonline>

      Also, why does the subscriber rate go up and down in Feedburner?

      Thanks
      Martin Brossman
      My Podcast: www.InquireOnLine.info <http://www.inquireonline.info/>
      Podcasting Technical group:

    • thejabbercast
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2008
        U got the idea. Just make sure it always goes thru feedburner. Redirect your RSS feed to go
        thru it & also iTunes if u r there.

        Hope that helps.

        JD

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Brossman" <martin@...> wrote:

        > I am working to understand the relationship between RSS & Feedburner.
        >
        > It seems like a standard podcast comes with an RSS feed but you need to
        > create a feedburner feed by signing up with Feedburner. So If someone
        > signs up for just your direct RSS feed than it will not go through
        > Feedburner and you will not get stats on the podcast??
        >
        > For examples Feedburner says that the Original Feed is:
        > http://inquireonline.info/?feed=podcast
        > <http://inquireonline.info/?feed=podcast>
        > And the Feedburner feed it:
        > http://feeds.feedburner.com/inquireonline
        > <http://feeds.feedburner.com/inquireonline>
        >
        > Also, why does the subscriber rate go up and down in Feedburner?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Martin Brossman
        > My Podcast: www.InquireOnLine.info <http://www.inquireonline.info/>
        > Podcasting Technical group:

      • David Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 22, 2008
          It was 22 Jun 2008, when Martin Brossman commented:

          > I am working to understand the relationship between RSS & Feedburner.
          >
          > It seems like a standard podcast comes with an RSS feed but you need to
          > create a feedburner feed by signing up with Feedburner. So If someone signs
          > up for just your direct RSS feed than it will not go through Feedburner and
          > you will not get stats on the podcast??
          >
          > For examples Feedburner says that the Original Feed is:
          > http://inquireonline.info/?feed=podcast
          > <http://inquireonline.info/?feed=podcast>
          > And the Feedburner feed it:
          > http://feeds.feedburner.com/inquireonline
          > <http://feeds.feedburner.com/inquireonline>

          Well, here's my understanding. I'll use my own as an example.

          My podcast is hosted on Libsyn. Libsyn creates their own RSS feed, found
          at http://grizzly.libsyn.com/rss. I also have a Feedburner feed (well,
          three, but let's just look at the main one), at
          http://feeds.feedburner.com/grizzlysgrowls.

          Feedburner takes the Libsyn feed as-is and modifies that to include their
          extra stuff. Normally, people would subscribe to the Feedburner feed, and
          all calls for the current feed would go through Feedburner. BUT, Libsyn
          also allows what they call Redirection. I gave the address of my
          Feedburner feed to Libsyn. So when a subscriber hits
          http://grizzly.libsyn.com/rss, what they actually "see" is
          http://feeds.feedburner.com/grizzlysgrowls. So calls to -that- address
          still pass through Feedburner, and still show up in the Stats.

          > Also, why does the subscriber rate go up and down in Feedburner?

          Because Feedburner doesn't have a direct way of knowing who is subscribed.
          You don't sign up for RSS Feeds, mostly; you just have your feed reader
          touch the feed to look for new files. Feedburner approximates how many
          people are subscribed by counting how many different IP addresses "touch"
          the feed in a day or so. Also, they can compare the IP addresses with
          known addresses for Bots and feed aggregators and such, and discount those
          for the stats.

          Their subscriber count is really a well-educated guess. Most of my
          subscribers seem to come looking for new shows on Thursdays. So my
          Subscriber count seems to go up those days. Some folks don't come looking
          for new podcasts till they finish the current batch in their player, and
          if they're like me, they might have 20-30 different podcasts they listen
          to, so it might be a long while between downloads, maybe even a week or
          two. So the count Feedburner gives might be lower, since folks like me
          aren't touching the feeds as often.

          Hope that helps. Some of it might even be accurate. ;-)

          --

          Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
          Twitter: <https://twitter.com/grizzlysgrowls>