Podcasting ethics?

  • nycedeli
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hello all,
      I'm involved in a curious situation and would like to get your
      thoughts. I recently launched a children's story podcast in Spanish.
      The stories are read by a professional actress who I found on my own.
      She does a really great job and brings the characters to life.

      Two weeks after launch, I got an email from a guy who had a blog of
      children's stories in Spanish. He asked me if he take my audio and put
      it on his blog. He offered me nothing in return. Basically, he wanted
      my podcast on his blog. I told him thanks but no thanks. I told him
      that I'd do a podcast interview with him about his blog and do a
      straight link exchange but I wasn't comfortable with the idea of him
      having all my audio on his blog. He agreed but this week I find out
      that he has hired the same actress to read the stories on his blog. He
      didn't tell me. I read about this on his blog.

      To say that I'm annoyed is an understatement. I don't fault the actress
      since she's got to work but I don't understand why a podcaster would
      want to feature the same exact voice in the same exact subject area.

      Anyway, my question to you is this: Should I write a post on my blog
      explaining to my listeners that there is going to be a competing
      podcast out there that is using the same voice but it isn't affiliated
      with my podcast? Or do I not say anything to listeners? I worry about
      the potential confusion that is going to occur when people discover his
      podcast with the some of the same stories read in the same voice.

      Any thoughts? Am I overreacting? How would you guys handle this?

      Thanks in advance.
    • thejabbercast
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
        I would say/add something. I would be polite about it unless I had reason NOT to be. But
        yes, to avoid confusion and also let listeners know that you originated the idea and that
        someone has COPIED that idea. I know there are many similar podcasts, but to be in
        discussions with you & then out right copy off you & not step up to say anything and
        especially copying off your more innovative idea, not very polite, really... I say you also add
        something NEW to the mix to even better distinguish you from the other... how about
        many different "readers"? How about more than one reader per story / as if it were a play,
        like OLD TIME RADIO? Hope this helps.... best wishes - and I see nothing wrong with
        telling us your show name :-)

        BigJD - from thejabbercast.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
          On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:37 AM, nycedeli <lavenividivici@...> wrote:

          > Anyway, my question to you is this: Should I write a post on my blog
          > explaining to my listeners that there is going to be a competing
          > podcast out there that is using the same voice but it isn't affiliated
          > with my podcast? Or do I not say anything to listeners? I worry about
          > the potential confusion that is going to occur when people discover his
          > podcast with the some of the same stories read in the same voice.

          Are the stories you're producing in the public domain? If not, there
          may be a copyright issue. If you're writing your own stories, or
          you've acquired rights to produce copyrighted material and he hasn't,
          that could be grounds to make him desist, or at least get him to find
          different stories.

          Otherwise, my suggestion would be to ignore him completely. You've
          been around longer, you've been putting work into building your
          audience that won't benefit him, and if this guy doesn't have the
          originality to come up with his own plan it's unlikely that he'll be
          around long. Informing your audience that there's ugliness between
          you and another podcaster will only make them curious about his
          podcast too, and doesn't make either of you look good.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • thejabbercast
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
            Steve brings up some good points as well.... true, some of the points he mentions are
            important to know before you do or do not "mention" anything on your site. Personally, I
            would feel better airing it. But also, as Steve has mentioned, I might not bother actually
            posting the other podcast name, why advertise it.... just simply state your concern so that
            there would be no confusion. JD

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "nycedeli" <lavenividivici@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            > I'm involved in a curious situation and would like to get your
            > thoughts. I recently launched a children's story podcast in Spanish.
            > The stories are read by a professional actress who I found on my own.
            > She does a really great job and brings the characters to life.
            >
            > Two weeks after launch, I got an email from a guy who had a blog of
            > children's stories in Spanish. He asked me if he take my audio and put
            > it on his blog. He offered me nothing in return. Basically, he wanted
            > my podcast on his blog. I told him thanks but no thanks. I told him
            > that I'd do a podcast interview with him about his blog and do a
            > straight link exchange but I wasn't comfortable with the idea of him
            > having all my audio on his blog. He agreed but this week I find out
            > that he has hired the same actress to read the stories on his blog. He
            > didn't tell me. I read about this on his blog.
            >
            > To say that I'm annoyed is an understatement. I don't fault the actress
            > since she's got to work but I don't understand why a podcaster would
            > want to feature the same exact voice in the same exact subject area.
            >
            > Anyway, my question to you is this: Should I write a post on my blog
            > explaining to my listeners that there is going to be a competing
            > podcast out there that is using the same voice but it isn't affiliated
            > with my podcast? Or do I not say anything to listeners? I worry about
            > the potential confusion that is going to occur when people discover his
            > podcast with the some of the same stories read in the same voice.
            >
            > Any thoughts? Am I overreacting? How would you guys handle this?
            >
            > Thanks in advance.

          • nycedeli
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
              Thanks JD and Steve for your responses. My podcast is called Cody's
              Cuentos and it's a podcast of classic fairy tales and legends in
              Spanish, so all the stories are public domain. This other person, his
              blog contains a mix of stories he says he wrote and he recently added
              a section to his blog featuring classic fairy tales. That's where he
              wanted to put my audio.

              I'm of two minds and agree with what both of you said. I think I will
              wait and see what he eventually produces and make a decision about how
              to broach the topic with my listeners once I see what he puts out in
              the marketplace.

              Thanks very much for your collective insight. :)

              Best,
              Eleena
              www.codyscuentos.com
            • Rob Usdin
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
                I like the idea of having a second voice to your stories - or maybe
                have a second person read some of the stories, so as to distinguish
                yourself from the other podcast. Not only would this send a message to
                your competitor - but it might also send a message to the actress who
                took on an almost identical job. Like you said - you can't blame her
                - she's got to make her money - but there is also an ethical issue she
                has to consider. Really - she's part of the problem too. I think you
                should look for another actress, quite honestly. I know there is no
                "exclusivity" - but it's not as if she is making you feel she is loyal
                to you either.

                --*Rob

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
                  On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Rob Usdin <rusdin@...> wrote:
                  > [ . . . ] Like you said - you can't blame her
                  > - she's got to make her money - but there is also an ethical issue she
                  > has to consider. Really - she's part of the problem too. I think you
                  > should look for another actress, quite honestly. I know there is no
                  > "exclusivity" - but it's not as if she is making you feel she is loyal
                  > to you either.

                  This is only true if there was an understanding between the client and
                  the actress at the start of the agreement. If you consider the
                  specific voice in your podcast as part of your podcast's branding
                  *and* you plan to build your podcast into a business where that
                  branding is important for your success -- then you should take steps
                  to protect that brand, and make your perspective on it clear to the
                  people who are doing the work. If these things aren't true, and if
                  you didn't make your understanding explicit at the outset, then
                  where's the ethical issue, and what's the damage?

                  I have three story podcasts, and I rely on a number of volunteer
                  narrators. Many of them have read for other fiction podcasts. Some
                  of them *have* their own fiction podcasts. This doesn't bother me at
                  all, and I can't imagine giving, say, Máia Whitaker a hard time just
                  because somebody else liked her voice as much as I did and wanted her
                  help with another project.

                  http://www.escapepod.org
                • Braindouche!
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
                    Obviously, you are both podcasters with budgets, which is cool. Here's a
                    sneaky idea:

                    The next time you have your actress around, see if you can find out how much
                    she gets paid by the other guy, and if she would prefer to work for both of
                    you for twice as many hours, or if she would rather work for just one
                    podcast and make your fee plus a little bit less than what the other guy is
                    paying. If she's a busy actress, she may just take you up on it.

                    If she does, go to the other podcaster, and offer to produce fairytales for
                    him for less than he's currently paying his actress. If he goes for it, you
                    win. You now have control of what stories go where, and you have a branding
                    opportunity on that dude's podcast, and the opportunity to make a little
                    beer money in the process.

                    ~Mer
                    www.braindouche.net

                    On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:37 AM, nycedeli <lavenividivici@...> wrote:

                    > Hello all,
                    > I'm involved in a curious situation and would like to get your
                    > thoughts. I recently launched a children's story podcast in Spanish.
                    > The stories are read by a professional actress who I found on my own.
                    > She does a really great job and brings the characters to life.
                    >
                    > Two weeks after launch, I got an email from a guy who had a blog of
                    > children's stories in Spanish. He asked me if he take my audio and put
                    > it on his blog. He offered me nothing in return. Basically, he wanted
                    > my podcast on his blog. I told him thanks but no thanks. I told him
                    > that I'd do a podcast interview with him about his blog and do a
                    > straight link exchange but I wasn't comfortable with the idea of him
                    > having all my audio on his blog. He agreed but this week I find out
                    > that he has hired the same actress to read the stories on his blog. He
                    > didn't tell me. I read about this on his blog.
                    >
                    > To say that I'm annoyed is an understatement. I don't fault the actress
                    > since she's got to work but I don't understand why a podcaster would
                    > want to feature the same exact voice in the same exact subject area.
                    >
                    > Anyway, my question to you is this: Should I write a post on my blog
                    > explaining to my listeners that there is going to be a competing
                    > podcast out there that is using the same voice but it isn't affiliated
                    > with my podcast? Or do I not say anything to listeners? I worry about
                    > the potential confusion that is going to occur when people discover his
                    > podcast with the some of the same stories read in the same voice.
                    >
                    > Any thoughts? Am I overreacting? How would you guys handle this?
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance.

                  • Larry Wanger
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
                      I deleted the original post on this topic but had a thought. I'm
                      curious why you refused to put your audio on the other blog site. If
                      its made clear that its your material, your show and links back to
                      your site so you can count downloads, what's the problem? If the guy
                      with the blog had ever tried to take credit for creating the show when
                      in fact its yours then it would be different. But, you probably could
                      have gotten greater exposure. Its not about people going to one source
                      for your audio, its about offering it in as many ways and places as
                      possible. Just my thinking.

                      DisabilityNation, an Audio Magazine by and for People with
                      Disabilities. Listen at http://www.disabilitynation.net

                    • kscolligan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
                        Hi Eleena,

                        I'd agree with Steve that mentioning this other podcast on your show
                        just gives it more exposure, and doesn't do anything for you (aside
                        from letting you blow off some steam.)

                        Have you spoken with this guy since finding out what he's been up to?
                        You might tell him how you feel -- that he is not acting ethically to
                        run the same stories with the same actor as your show.

                        He may not care. After all, his ethical standards don't seem overly
                        developed if he is swiping your exact format, stories and actor. But
                        you never know.

                        Unfortunately, if the stories are public domain and you don't have an
                        exclusive arrangement with your actress (and why would you?), there's
                        probably not a whole lot you can do to stop him.

                        Your best bet is to make your show as good and unique as it can be.
                        You can differentiate your show by using multiple readers, as you
                        mentioned. Or you might work in music or sound FX. Or maybe you can
                        create some original content that isn't easily replicated, like
                        putting a new spin on the classic, public domain fables (Disney did
                        pretty well with that strategy.)

                        I was inspired by the short story podcasts that came before me
                        (specifically Steve's Escape Pod and Pseudopod) and owe a lot to them.
                        I've always tried to put my own spin on the general concept so as not
                        to be too derivative. (No one wants to be the podcast equivalent of
                        "The Transmorphers":
                        http://www.cinematical.com/2007/07/04/dvd-review-transmorphers/)

                        Another thing that might make you feel better is that if this guy
                        can't play nice with others, he probably won't find many fellow
                        podcasters and/or bloggers to run his promos or link to his work.

                        Cheers,
                        Kevin

                        Well Told Tales
                        pulp-fiction podcast