Re: [podcasters] Feedback PSA

  • LB
    Message 1 of 15 , May 29, 2008
      Nobilis,

      Great idea, thanks!
      Linda
      podnla.com

      Nobilis <authornobilis@...> wrote: I just recorded a "feedback PSA" - it's an attempt to influence
      listeners into providing more feedback on podcasts. Most podcasters
      only get feedback from 1% or so of their listeners, and I think that's
      a shame. I do my part by sending in my thoughts regularly to the
      podcasts I listen to, but I decided I could do more.

      So I recorded a PSA. It's a 256kbps MP3 that should be fairly easy
      for you to just drop into your podcast.

      Here's the text:

      *****************

      Hi. My name is Nobilis, and I am a podcaster. You may have heard of
      me, but even if you haven't, I'd like you to take a minute or so of
      your time and talk about being a good podcast listener.

      The vast majority of podcasters don't get paid. Most of them work
      very hard to craft the best audio and video content they know how.
      Some of them ask you for donations, some of them ask you to buy their
      stuff, some of them ask for votes, but there's one thing nearly all of
      them appreciate, and that's feedback.
      It can be hard to give a podcaster feedback. Many of you are
      listening in the car, or on the job, or working out, or doing chores.
      It can be difficult to remember to send feedback when you won't be
      near a phone or a computer for an hour or more after listening to the
      show, and so often one show just blurs into the next.

      Sometimes you don't feel like you have anything meaningful to say. I
      can relate to that... sometimes I feel that way when I'm recording my
      show. But let me tell you, the podcaster whose work you're listening
      to right now doesn't care if you're contributing some great
      observation to the global consciousness. He or she just wants to hear
      from you, even if all you say is, "I'm a listener, and I like what I
      hear."

      So try this. Once a month, sit down with your podcatcher, whether
      it's iTunes or Juice, or the list of links in your browser, and scroll
      through your list of podcasts. Pick out a dozen or so that you feel
      have given you something valuable, whether it's a moment of joy or a
      sparkle of truth or a cathartic tear, and tell them. Make a comment
      on the website, send in an email, or make an audio comment—whatever
      works for you. Think of it like paying the monthly podcasting bill.
      And the best part is, paying this bill won't drain your bank account.

      The true wonder of podcasting is that the people who produce them ARE
      so incredibly accessible. They're just ordinary folks like me and
      you. Well... except for Tee Morris. But that's neither here nor
      there. My point is that we want to hear what you have to say, even if
      it's just a few words of encouragement.
      Thank you for your time*, and remember—in order for us to be attention
      whores, we do need to get paid once in a while!

      *****************

      *I've created a "clean" version that ends at the word "time"

      Will it work? I have no idea. I figure it's worth a try.

      Here's where you can download them:

      http://media.libsyn.com/media/nobilis/FeedbackPSA.mp3
      http://media.libsyn.com/media/nobilis/FeedbackPSA_clean.mp3

      Feel free to use either of these, if you're of a mind to. They're
      approximately 2:30 in length, which may be a bit long for some
      formats.

      In no way do I feel any sort of proprietary interest over this
      "monthly feedback session" idea; feel free to make the request in your
      own way. Perhaps we can create a collection of similar requests and
      trade them around.

      Anyways, here you go.

      -----
      "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
      in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662

      www.podnLA.com

      Linda

    • Brains Matter
      Message 2 of 15 , May 29, 2008
        Good stuff!

        OG

        --
        Brains Matter Podcast
        Melbourne, Australia

        On 29/05/2008, at 1:50 PM, Nobilis wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Here's where you can download them:
        >
        > http://media.libsyn.com/media/nobilis/FeedbackPSA.mp3
        > http://media.libsyn.com/media/nobilis/FeedbackPSA_clean.mp3
        >
        > Feel free to use either of these, if you're of a mind to. They're
        > approximately 2:30 in length, which may be a bit long for some
        > formats.
        >
        > In no way do I feel any sort of proprietary interest over this
        > "monthly feedback session" idea; feel free to make the request in your
        > own way. Perhaps we can create a collection of similar requests and
        > trade them around.
        >
        > Anyways, here you go.
        >

        > --
        > Weekly erotica served up on your ipod or mp3 player -- subscribe to
        > Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
        > -----
        > "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"

      • David Smith
        Message 3 of 15 , May 29, 2008
          I shall probably do the same. I downloaded both, but I think the
          "unclean" version will work just fine for my audience. I also could see a
          series of these from various podcasters.

          It was 29 May 2008, when LB commented:

          Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
          Twitter: <https://twitter.com/grizzlysgrowls>
        • Nobilis
          Message 4 of 15 , May 29, 2008
            On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:57 PM, David Smith <dbsmith01@...> wrote:
            > I shall probably do the same. I downloaded both, but I think the
            > "unclean" version will work just fine for my audience. I also could see a
            > series of these from various podcasters.

            I would love to see that. We could run a different one every week.

            -----
            "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
            in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662
          • Matthew Wayne Selznick
            Message 5 of 15 , May 29, 2008
              On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Nobilis <authornobilis@...> wrote:
              > On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:57 PM, David Smith <dbsmith01@...> wrote:
              >> I shall probably do the same. I downloaded both, but I think the
              >> "unclean" version will work just fine for my audience. I also could see a
              >> series of these from various podcasters.

              Sean McGaughey from the "For the Sake of the Song" podcast is already
              doing something very similar -- he sent me his promo for "K7 Days,"
              but I don't have a direct link -- Sean, are you on this list?

              Anyway, I'll be playing it on the next Sonitotum
              (http://www.mattselznick.com/sonitotum) (Nobilis' will be next, since
              I received Sean's first) so you can all check it out.

              --
              Matthew Wayne Selznick
              Author, Podcaster
              Message 6 of 15 , May 29, 2008
                I meant to reply, not start a NEW topic, so, u may get this twice, sorry....

                May I also suggest more of us do the same so we can all interchange & add them to our
                shows. We can post like Nobilis, or if everyone would like some type of web page set up I
                would be willing to do that if ya all want to submit your PSA's to me.... I will collect and
                post
                the list of them for downloading.... complete with author info. Anyway, just offering to
                help.
                Either way, I hope it catches on....

                Thanx, BigJD
                thejabbercast.com

                Message 7 of 15 , May 29, 2008
                  It was 29 May 2008, when Nobilis commented:

                  > On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:57 PM, David Smith <dbsmith01@...> wrote: > I
                  > shall probably do the same. I downloaded both, but I think the > "unclean"
                  > version will work just fine for my audience. I also could see a > series
                  > of these from various podcasters.
                  >
                  > I would love to see that. We could run a different one every week.

                  True, and it'd convey the community of podcasters that already exists, and
                  that there's a whole culture of podcasting, and that folks who comment
                  become part of that culture.

                  Maybe some central location to exchange these PSAs would be a good idea?
                  Works nicely as a specifically-motivated promo exchange, too. Not that
                  there's anything wrong with that. ;-)

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 29, 2008
                    I don't want to say anything about what anyone else should or
                    shouldn't do, but I specifically did NOT talk about my own podcast in
                    this recording because I didn't want it to be mistaken for a promo.

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 29, 2008
                      Well, if everyone is on the same page & we all do it equal, I think everyone should agree
                      whether or we would actually put our podcast name in the PSA, I don't think it would hurt
                      to say who u r & the name of yer show in the PSA, you know, like I am Bob Bobblehead
                      from blahblahblah podcast & I hope or I think.... etc etc... u get the idea. Either that or
                      everyone agree not to state anything..... either way, it's the PSA that is the important part,
                      but long as your ID in it is short, why not?

                      In fact... I myself would not be opposed to each other making ID's to post so that other
                      podcasters could share & play other podcasters show ID's. That would be cool. We are all
                      in this thing together & could help each other out with notoriety,,,, why not? I will play
                      other podcasters ID's, send me them... :-)

                      And since we are on all that... I do an interview show & would love to interview some
                      podcasters who have things to say about podcasting, incl Nobilis & this PSA movement. If
                      some of u r interested.... I guess I will hear.

                      BigJD

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 29, 2008
                        Well, as a PSA, I suppose the idea is you know who you're listening to.
                        Or you ought to. So, if the person you're listening to is speaking
                        intelligently, you go looking for More Stuff from that intelligent and
                        articulate individual.

                        And if you don't go looking, no harm done. Anyway, I have both versions
                        downloaded. I will probably play the Unclean version (he said, holding up
                        his fingers in the sign of the cross, and chanting, "Unclean! Unclean!")
                        So, if they come looking for Nobilis, or ask me how to find More Stuff
                        from Nobilis, it ain't my fault. ;-)