Soundproofing: the box option

  • sethharwoodpodcast
    Message 1 of 7 , May 24 12:20 PM
      Hey guys,

      I know a while back someone made a video online about how to build a soundproofing box
      for podcasting. I watched it and went with my own option for soundproofing, but now I'd like
      to show it to a friend who's new to the game.

      Anyone know anything about this video? Or where I can get good instructions for building a
      cheap, easy soundproof box to record with?

      Seth
      Jack Palms Crime
    • Steve Riekeberg
      Message 2 of 7 , May 24 2:53 PM
        Is this what you're looking for?

        http://www.jakeludington.com/podcasting/20080130_diy_portable_recording_studio.html

        Or similarly...

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7sLY2ZqCKw

        Same basic idea. Want to build one of these myself some time...

        Hope this helps,

        Steve Riekeberg
        Host, Geek Cred
        <http://www.geekcred.net>

        On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 12:20 PM, sethharwoodpodcast <
        sethharw@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys,
        >
        > I know a while back someone made a video online about how to build a
        > soundproofing box
        > for podcasting. I watched it and went with my own option for soundproofing,
        > but now I'd like
        > to show it to a friend who's new to the game.
        >
        > Anyone know anything about this video? Or where I can get good instructions
        > for building a
        > cheap, easy soundproof box to record with?
        >
        > Seth
        > Jack Palms Crime

      • Cian Mac Mahon
        Message 3 of 7 , May 25 1:26 PM
          Damn...
          One of those would be perfect for me right now. Get rid of that last
          little bit of echo which is in my recording room, as well as the
          computer fans. I MUST build one.
          Cian Mac Mahon
          Professional Teenage Podcaster
          Available for voice work, consulting

          www.viewfromthequad.com
          www.StartingWoW.com
        • Ratbag Radio
          Message 4 of 7 , May 25 5:11 PM
            I use one I made myself with a milk crate. In theory it should work
            fine but I think it is preferable to consider your microphone options
            first.I use it to record phone calls by using a speaker phone with two
            mics -- one for each channel.I place the phone in the box and treat it
            as a phone booth.

            It does the job.Thats' all I ask. I get my content.

            My feeling though is that you also need a backing panel somewhere
            behind your own head to dissipate some of the sound reverberations or
            extraneous noise pickup.

            Sometimes I hang a blanket or quilt from the ceiling or wall behind me
            while recording for that purpose.

            I don't record on the computer directly so I've got a bit of freedom
            as to where I position the booth and my own talking head --as I seat
            the booth on a mobile stand.

            dave riley
          • Ratbag Radio
            Message 5 of 7 , May 25 5:24 PM
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Ratbag Radio" <ratbagradio@...> wrote:

              > I use one I made myself with a milk crate.

              Actually I thought I was some sort of nutcase for doing this so I'm
              glad to see that others have come at the same solution to noise floor
              issues. I had in mind the sound booths they used in old time radio.

              The only problem with booths is that if you restrict the space too
              much it can be a hot and stuffy broadcast in sub tropical climates
              like my own. I used metal skewers just below the booth top to create
              a scaffold like mezzanine to support my cords and microphones.

              A miniature studio located at head height.

              dave riley
            • Dan Kuykendall
              Message 6 of 7 , May 31 2:15 AM
                I had explained mine ages ago
                http://www.mightyseek.com/podcast_setup

                --
                Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
                http://www.mightyseek.com

                The ultimate security is your understanding of reality.
              • Judefan
                Message 7 of 7 , May 31 8:02 AM
                  Here is the way I took the soundproofing booth:

                  http://lovehouseradio.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=82378

                  Kept it on the cheap with everything coming from Target - trash can and foam
                  bedding mat. I used it for a while but to me it actually did too good of a
                  job in deadening the sound- almost made it too dead to where I had to add a
                  little echo via the mixer or editing software to make it sound more
                  natural. that and the fact that if you are trying to read anything it is
                  hard to do with you head in front of a trash can- but with the curve on the
                  front it seemed to block more of the background echo.

                  Just thought I would add my crazy addition.

                  PDL

                  On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 5:15 AM, Dan Kuykendall <dan@...> wrote:

                  > I had explained mine ages ago
                  > http://www.mightyseek.com/podcast_setup
                  >

                  > sethharwoodpodcast wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Hey guys,
                  > >
                  > > I know a while back someone made a video online about how to build a
                  > > soundproofing box
                  > > for podcasting. I watched it and went with my own option for
                  > > soundproofing, but now I'd like
                  > > to show it to a friend who's new to the game.
                  > >
                  > > Anyone know anything about this video? Or where I can get good
                  > > instructions for building a
                  > > cheap, easy soundproof box to record with?
                  > >
                  > > Seth
                  > > Jack Palms Crime
                  >
                  > --
                  > Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
                  > http://www.mightyseek.com
                  >
                  > The ultimate security is your understanding of reality.

                  --
                  P.D. Love
                  The DaddyCast - http://www.TheDaddyCast.com