about "broadcasting" your podcasts

  • thejabbercast
    Message 1 of 17 , May 22, 2008
      I was asking podcasters what they think about broadcasting their shows on internet talk radio
      stations... well, the station I broadcast from has like 30 openings now (time slots) available
      and is accepting podcasts.... cheap & easy, more recognition, bring your own ads if you have
      them & keep the money u generate... anyone interested in it contact me
      bigjd@... I will hook u up!

      Cool station from Vegas, lots of listeners for you.

      Also, are there many of you podcasters that actually do any LIVE broadcast work?

      Thanx,

      JD
    • Les Zaldor
      Message 2 of 17 , May 22, 2008
        I just started broadcasting on BounceRadio.net - a few other podcasters have
        made the jump there too.

        I'm not broadcasting my podcasts though, playing tunes and talking - and
        will include interviews that I've played on my podcast, and interviews
        before they are on the podcast too. Recently, I aired the interview I did
        with Thriving Ivory - it won't be on the podcast for a few more weeks.

        It's a lot of fun, there are openings on BounceRadio.net too - check it out,
        are producing some great content on the station!

        -Les

        --
        Les
        -------------

        Insomnia Radio: Detroit: http://detroit.insomniaradio.net

        Proud member of:--
        Detroit Podcasters Network - http://www.detroitpodcasters.net
        AMP - http://www.musicpodcasting.org

        Looking for a great web host? Check out Wired Hub - $6.95 a month, 100gb
        bandwidth, 6 GB of space, Excellent support!
        what Wired Hub can do for you!</a>

        Message 3 of 17 , May 22, 2008
          On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 11:43 PM, thejabbercast <bigjd@...> wrote:

          > Cool station from Vegas, lots of listeners for you.

          How many is "lots?" What metrics does this provider give you, and can
          you tell us the approximate average audience?

          I keep hearing about podcasters putting their shows up on streaming
          servers (i.e. "Internet radio") and I confess I've never understood
          the advantages. If someone wants to sit at their computer and listen
          to my podcast without downloading it, I have Flash players on my site.
          Are there really large numbers of people connecting to these streams
          to hear this sort of content?

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 17 , May 23, 2008
            From: "thejabbercast"
            > " ...has like 30 openings now (time slots) available
            > and is accepting podcasts ..."

            How LONG is a "slot"? 15 miin, 30 min, 60 min ??? Do we have to cut our
            podcast to fit, or do we need to add time?

            Richard Amirault
            Boston, MA, USA
            http://n1jdu.org
            http://bostonfandom.org
          • thejabbercast
            Message 5 of 17 , May 23, 2008
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

              > On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 11:43 PM, thejabbercast <bigjd@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Cool station from Vegas, lots of listeners for you.
              >
              > How many is "lots?" What metrics does this provider give you, and can
              > you tell us the approximate average audience?
              >
              > I keep hearing about podcasters putting their shows up on streaming
              > servers (i.e. "Internet radio") and I confess I've never understood
              > the advantages. If someone wants to sit at their computer and listen
              > to my podcast without downloading it, I have Flash players on my site.
              > Are there really large numbers of people connecting to these streams
              > to hear this sort of content?
              >

              > --
              > Have Fun,
              > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
              > http://www.escapepod.org

              I think what part of it is, is that there are many other shows there and the people that
              listen to "those" tend to listen to others. So it just opens up a larger audience, you get
              other show's listeners. I realy have not looked into the details of audience bass. I like the
              idea of it and I know they do have listeners and are growing. It is alltalkradio.net Plus in
              some instances it is good to be affiliated.... like for advertising, etc...

              Thanx for your input. JD
            • thejabbercast
              Message 6 of 17 , May 23, 2008
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Amirault" <ramirault@...> wrote:

> [...]

                Podcasts need to be edited to 52 min's. I believe the other 8 min's is their adv/weather,
                whatever... I am going to post a page with all the info on the podcast size/bit rate, etc &
                their fees & stuff & just send out a link here & then every one can just look at that & see if
                it's something they would like to contact the station about.... and if anyone does, let them
                know BigJD sent you, so they know I really was helping out, hahahaaa... alltalkradio.net
                And they have been in talkers magazine, that's cool in itself!

                Anyways, I re-edit for the station & it's easy enough...

                JD
              • Mike Wills
                Message 7 of 17 , May 23, 2008
                  I am with Eley here. Does internet radio stations get more than a handful of
                  listeners at a time? Is it worth my time making my show longer to fit your
                  format?

                  On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 7:07 AM, thejabbercast <bigjd@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 11:43 PM, thejabbercast <bigjd@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Cool station from Vegas, lots of listeners for you.
                  > >
                  > > How many is "lots?" What metrics does this provider give you, and can
                  > > you tell us the approximate average audience?
                  > >
                  > > I keep hearing about podcasters putting their shows up on streaming
                  > > servers (i.e. "Internet radio") and I confess I've never understood
                  > > the advantages. If someone wants to sit at their computer and listen
                  > > to my podcast without downloading it, I have Flash players on my site.
                  > > Are there really large numbers of people connecting to these streams
                  > > to hear this sort of content?
                  > >

                  > > --
                  > > Have Fun,
                  > > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
                  > > ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
                  > > http://www.escapepod.org
                  > >

                  > I think what part of it is, is that there are many other shows there and
                  > the people that
                  > listen to "those" tend to listen to others. So it just opens up a larger
                  > audience, you get
                  > other show's listeners. I realy have not looked into the details of
                  > audience bass. I like the
                  > idea of it and I know they do have listeners and are growing. It is
                  > alltalkradio.net Plus in
                  > some instances it is good to be affiliated.... like for advertising, etc...
                  >
                  > Thanx for your input. JD

                  Mike Wills
                  mike@...
                  Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
                  Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)

                  Podcasts:
                  Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
                  Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

                • thejabbercast
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 23, 2008
                    Can't speak for all, but it works for us. Opens us to even more listeners via a totally
                    different avenue. And I think that if you want to generate $ from ads, it is a good idea to
                    be broadcast someplace... looks good to potential advertisers.... So, for us it is worth the
                    extra editing... but then our shows are 1hr - I cut them down, hehe...

                    I posted all the staion info here someplace for all, take a look.....

                    Either way, it's there for folks that are interested & I think internet radio is the radio of the
                    future, well, it is already here, but I mean over terrestrial radio...

                    Podcasts rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                    JD

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 23, 2008
                      I have to say I would disagree. I can't listen to internet radio at the camp
                      site I am going to this weekend. I can listen to Podcasts on my iPod. I
                      can't listen to internet radio in the car. I can listen to podcasts on CD or
                      on my iPod. Until wireless internet works much like radio and TV does today
                      internet radio can't compete. The only reason podcasts can compete is
                      because 1 in 5 US citizens own an iPod. That number grows if you include all
                      of the other MP3 players. I think in the future internet radio will be more
                      feasible, but not for at least a few years yet. Plus there is a growing
                      number of business blocking internet radio because of all of the bandwidth
                      that is used by them.

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 23, 2008
                        You are absolutely right. I am saying internet radio has become pretty big, even all the
                        REAL stations do it. But u r right that podcasts are the best & most convenient to listen to,
                        BUT.... internet radio is "another" avenue for the serious podcaster/broadcaster. Doing
                        more than one thing with your show "can" be beneficial..... of course, it is not going to be
                        everyone's opinion. I like to spread our show around & have it everywhere we can, so,
                        that's part of the reason I "also" do internet radio.... live "and" pretaped, but I would NEVER
                        stop podcasting ;-)

                        Thanx for your input, this is good stuff :-)

                        JD

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Wills" <mike@...> wrote:

                        > I have to say I would disagree. I can't listen to internet radio at the camp
                        > site I am going to this weekend. I can listen to Podcasts on my iPod. I
                        > can't listen to internet radio in the car. I can listen to podcasts on CD or
                        > on my iPod. Until wireless internet works much like radio and TV does today
                        > internet radio can't compete. The only reason podcasts can compete is
                        > because 1 in 5 US citizens own an iPod. That number grows if you include all
                        > of the other MP3 players. I think in the future internet radio will be more
                        > feasible, but not for at least a few years yet. Plus there is a growing
                        > number of business blocking internet radio because of all of the bandwidth
                        > that is used by them.
                        >
                        > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 7:52 AM, thejabbercast <bigjd@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > > Either way, it's there for folks that are interested & I think internet
                        > > radio is the radio of the
                        > > future, well, it is already here, but I mean over terrestrial radio...
                        >

                        > --
                        > Mike Wills
                        > mike@...
                        > Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com
                        > Skype: koldark | Ph: 612-605-9821 (on CST or GMT -6)
                        >
                        > Podcasts:
                        > Mike's Hotdish -- http://mikeshotdish.com
                        > Music Remyx -- http://musicremyx.com

                      • George L Smyth
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 23, 2008
                          About a week or two ago the filenames for my podcasts were changed. For
                          instance, for my latest One Minute How-To, instead of receiving the file under
                          the filename I uploaded, OMHT255.mp3, it found itself in my folder as
                          OMHT255_nvb_20080523165146_nva_20080524165146_t_0db219a2b613999e05115.mp3.

                          I've no idea what the extraneous garbage is and I've got subscribers
                          complaining. When I look at the filename in my feed
                          (http://feeds.feedburner.com/OneMinuteHowTo), the uploaded filename is in the
                          feed. This is happening to all of my files, not just the most recent ones.

                          I've seen this with other podcasts - Dave's Lounge comes to mind.

                          Is this something Feedburner is doing? Anyone have any guesses as to what's
                          going on and/or how I can fix this? Perhaps I unknowingly checked a checkbox
                          somewhere?

                          Cheers -

                          george

                          -------------------------------------

                          Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com

                          Handmade Photographic Images: http://www.GLSmyth.com - Blog: GLSmyth.Wordpress.com
                        • Nobilis
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 24, 2008
                            I'm seeing this happening as well.

                            I *think* it's only happening on Libsyn accounts but I can't be sure.

                            On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 1:12 PM, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:
                            > About a week or two ago the filenames for my podcasts were changed. For
                            > instance, for my latest One Minute How-To, instead of receiving the file under
                            > the filename I uploaded, OMHT255.mp3, it found itself in my folder as
                            > OMHT255_nvb_20080523165146_nva_20080524165146_t_0db219a2b613999e05115.mp3.
                            >
                            > I've no idea what the extraneous garbage is and I've got subscribers
                            > complaining. When I look at the filename in my feed
                            > (http://feeds.feedburner.com/OneMinuteHowTo), the uploaded filename is in the
                            > feed. This is happening to all of my files, not just the most recent ones.
                            >
                            > I've seen this with other podcasts - Dave's Lounge comes to mind.
                            >
                            > Is this something Feedburner is doing? Anyone have any guesses as to what's
                            > going on and/or how I can fix this? Perhaps I unknowingly checked a checkbox
                            > somewhere?
                            >
                            > Cheers -
                            >
                            > george
                            >
                            > -------------------------------------
                            >
                            > Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                            > One Minute How-To: http://OneMinuteHowTo.com
                            > DRiP Investing: http://DRiPInvesting.org
                            >
                            > Handmade Photographic Images: http://www.GLSmyth.com - Blog: GLSmyth.Wordpress.com

                            -----
                            "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
                            in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662
                          • George L Smyth
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 24, 2008
                              It appears that this is a Libsyn thing. When I go to the show notes of
                              Eclectic Mix and click the direct link for this week's show, the result is
                              http://cdn4.libsyn.com/eclecticmix/EMix160.mp3?nvb=20080524185909&nva=20080525185909&t=09af008f11ee2945d1ca1.

                              What a mess.

                              If anyone has any ideas as to how to get this fixed I would greatly appreciate
                              it.

                              Cheers -

                              george

                              Message 14 of 17 , May 25, 2008
                                I've got a trouble ticket at Libsyn. No fix yet.

                                Message 15 of 17 , May 25, 2008
                                  I tried the message boards but no response. I've also now sent a trouble
                                  ticket.

                                  -------------------------------------

                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 27, 2008
                                    Apparently this is indeed a Libsyn thing. I have been conversing with them and
                                    it is something that has to do with tracking. Apparently it is only showing
                                    for those who are using Juice as their podcatcher (please let me know if this
                                    is not the case).

                                    Cheers -

                                    george

                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 27, 2008
                                      I'm using Juice and I'm seeing this in all my Libsyn downloads. It's
                                      a PITA but it doesn't make the system unusable.