Re: [podcasters] Re:Wordpress site hacked

  • Josh Flores
    Message 1 of 14 , May 14 6:57 PM
      Being a low-budget podcaster, getting a Wordpress (like, a "real" one) is out of the question, but I was just wondering if Wordpress is easily hack-able. Don't worry, I'm not gonna do anything, I'm just wonder just in case I can eventually get one.
      Thanks!

      Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote: Another Wordpress plugin that I discovered today is WP Security Scan. It'll
      give you quite a number of suggestions for locking down your blog tighter
      than ever.

      Martin

      http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-security-scan/

      Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
      Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
      and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
      Email: martin@...
      YIM: mmckeay@...
      TwitterID: mckeay
      (W) 707-495-7926

      On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:30 PM, kscolligan <kscolligan@...> wrote:

      > Amen on upgrading WordPress.
      >
      > And it's a breeze if you install this plugin:
      > http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-automatic-upgrade/
      >
      > The plug-in automagically backs-up your site, and then upgrades to the
      > newest WordPress release.
      >
      > Worked like a charm for me the one time I've used it.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Kevin
      >
      > Well Told Tales
      > pulp-fiction podcast
      >
      > http://WellToldTales.com
      >

      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "kscolligan" <kscolligan@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hey there,
      > > >
      > > > I recently installed this backup plugin:
      > > > http://wordpress.designpraxis.at/plugins/backupwordpress/
      > > >
      > > > There was a link to it from the official WordPress site --
      > > > http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Backups#Backup_Resources (the
      > > > bullet that reads "Backup WordPress Plugin") -- so I'm hoping it's on
      > > > the up-and-up.
      > > >
      > > ====
      > > Don't know, but my WordPress blog, StinkFight
      > > http://www.stinkfight.com/
      > > was hacked last week. Issue was that I was using an older install of
      > > WordPress, and hadn't updated.
      > >
      > > Hackers inserted code that added thousands of pages of Pharmacy spam,
      > > and didn't stop adding them. It crashed a box at DreamHost. I didn't
      > > even know about it until they sent me and e-mail saying they'd taken
      > > down the domain because of it.
      > >
      > > We deleted hacker's files and code, installed latest WordPress
      > > version, updated from backup, and then waited another day before
      > > DreamHost got around to putting it live.
      > >
      > > Moral of the story: I will always update to latest install of
      > > WordPress when they come out.
      > >
      > > Michael W. Dean

      "...Wait... now it's Hammer Time..."