Re: [podcasters] New Podcaster Introduction

  • Nobilis
    Message 1 of 17 , May 14, 2008
      Another thing to do is pay particular attention to differentiating
      your characters IN THE WRITING. You have to do this more in audio
      than you do in text.

      >> I have a quick question/request to get started: I recently recorded a
      >> couple of minutes of one of my short stories to get accustomed to the
      >> recording process and noticed that I found it difficult to 'voice act' and
      >> separate the two voices during a dialogue. Are there any good website
      >> resources that give tips on giving 'voice' to characters so that the
      >> dialogue can easily be attributed to the character? I think Sigler is
      >> especially good in this area, but I just can't seem to do it :)

      -----
      "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
      in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662
    • David Smith
      Message 2 of 17 , May 14, 2008
        I think for some purposes, a British-sounding voice is better. OTOH, for
        example, Hugh Lorey doing "House" with a Brit accent would be whole
        different show...

        I suspect you're better off sticking with your own voice primarily. The
        harder you have to struggle to produce the voice you use, the more it
        sounds like you -are- struggling, which will take away from the story.
        Folks will get used to your accent, whatever it is. They will not get
        used to a strained-sounding voice, accent or not.

        Unless your characters are specifically American, don't try too hard.
        Tell the story, the rest is gravy.

        It was 10 May 2008, when stark2k commented:

        --

        Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
        Twitter: <https://twitter.com/grizzlysgrowls>
        Message 3 of 17 , May 14, 2008
          I've noticed there are a number of actors who've lived in the U.S. for
          years and years -- and maintain their accent, just cause it gets them work
          on a continuing basis. So, hey, what could it hurt?

          When I get tired, I have a Texas accent. This from six weeks in USAF
          Basic Training in San Antonio -- one of my MTIs had a killer Texan accent.
          When I first came back from Basic, I made a recording of myself for no
          reason I can recall. Sounded spookily like Sergeant Gentry.

          Why does this relate to the topic? I have no idea. Just rambling. ;-)

          It was 12 May 2008, when morvenwestfield commented:

          Message 4 of 17 , May 14, 2008
            On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 7:40 PM, David Smith <dbsmith01@...> wrote:
            > So basically what I'm getting at is; do you think
            >> I'll find it more difficult to attract and retain listeners because I don't
            >> have an American accent/voice?

            Check out "The Plitone Revisionist"... Paul S. Jenkins may not be the
            most popular podiobook author on the site but he's definitely got a
            marvelous show.
          • Stephen Nelson
            Message 5 of 17 , May 14, 2008
              Yes, no one else says "Hi, this is Paul" quite like Paul S. Jenkins.

              I agree with the consensus-- don't worry about the accent at all.
              Americans love British accents. Only thing I'd be careful about is while
              saying the name of your show in your promo-- it took me a while to
              subscribe to "Starship Sofa" because I kept searching for "Starship So
              Far". Once I found the show I loved it, and the accents only add to it.

              Nobilis wrote:
              > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 7:40 PM, David Smith <dbsmith01@...> wrote:
              >
              >> So basically what I'm getting at is; do you think
              >>
              >>> I'll find it more difficult to attract and retain listeners because I don't
              >>> have an American accent/voice?
              >>>

              > Check out "The Plitone Revisionist"... Paul S. Jenkins may not be the
              > most popular podiobook author on the site but he's definitely got a
              > marvelous show.

            • stark2k
              Message 6 of 17 , May 15, 2008
                Thanks again for all the advice and recommendations, I'll take a listen to some of the
                podcasts mentioned, I'm probably not as well 'read' in podcast novels as I should be
                outside of the main 5-10 popular ones.

                Colin.