Re: [podcasters] How to make a voice sound artificial

  • Erk Pod
    Message 1 of 8 , May 8, 2008
      It's not using Audacity but my Behringer mixer with FX does a great version
      of an alien, preset #75.

      Erk

      On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Nobilis <authornobilis@...> wrote:

      > I'm writing a script that requires making the voice actors sound like
      > androids. Can you offer suggestions on how to use Audacity to make
      > voices sound a little artificial?
      >
      > -

    • David Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , May 8, 2008
        It was 8 May 2008, when Nobilis commented:

        > I'm writing a script that requires making the voice actors sound like
        > androids. Can you offer suggestions on how to use Audacity to make
        > voices sound a little artificial?

        Hmmm... well, they say in magic, the best symbol for a sharp knife is a
        sharp knife. You could use text-to-speech, basically an artificial voice,
        anyway.

        Also depends on how you want to represent the artificial voices. One way
        would be to reduce the audio to "telephone quality," 30 Hz to 3000 Hz, or
        thereabouts. The quality will perhaps create the impression of an
        artificial voice.

        Another possibility, for at least one voice: you know those vibrating
        thingies throat cancer survivors use? Some electric tool like a razor
        might serve as a substitute. If you have more than one voice, though,
        they'll all sound similar.

        Depending on the context, any reasonable level of distortion might produce
        a plausible effect. The idea there is to emphasize that the voice is
        coming from a speaker, not a voicebox. One cheap way to achieve that is
        to pull out a bare speaker, no box around it, and tear the paper
        resonating cone. Or leave the speaker in the box, but put a paper
        "spitball" inside in front of the speaker to pick up the vibration.
        Distortion on the cheap. Or talking through a comb with paper wrapped
        around it?

        Seems to me, though, in a plausible science fiction environment, a true
        artificial voice might well sound -better- than a natural voice -- think
        "HAL 9000." Think "I, Robot." Think "Data" from ST:TNG. All smooth and
        level and whatnot.

        Up to you.

        --

        Grizzly's Growls Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
        Twitter: <https://twitter.com/grizzlysgrowls>
        Message 3 of 8 , May 8, 2008
          On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, David Smith <dbsmith01@...> wrote:
          > It was 8 May 2008, when Nobilis commented:
          >
          >> I'm writing a script that requires making the voice actors sound like
          >> androids. Can you offer suggestions on how to use Audacity to make
          >> voices sound a little artificial?
          >
          > Hmmm... well, they say in magic, the best symbol for a sharp knife is a
          > sharp knife. You could use text-to-speech, basically an artificial voice,
          > anyway.

          Too artificial... I want to be on the other side of the "creepy divide".

          (snip several interesting possibilities I may try out)

          > Seems to me, though, in a plausible science fiction environment, a true
          > artificial voice might well sound -better- than a natural voice -- think
          > "HAL 9000." Think "I, Robot." Think "Data" from ST:TNG. All smooth and
          > level and whatnot.

          I'll keep that in mind for a future episode... it doesn't work for
          this one because my main characters are basically cyborgs, real people
          who have been heavily modified.

          Thank you for a helpful set of suggestions.

          -----
          "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
          in print: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662
          in ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2087234
          Message 4 of 8 , May 8, 2008
            On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Nobilis <authornobilis@...> wrote:
            > I'm writing a script that requires making the voice actors sound like
            > androids. Can you offer suggestions on how to use Audacity to make
            > voices sound a little artificial?

            In Audacity? Not sure. In a more advanced program you could use a
            ring modulator, but I doubt Audacity has one.

            If you have access to a Mac, GarageBand has all sorts of fun vocal
            transforms. Play around with it. I remember screwing around with the
            male-to-female voice transform effect... These effects are basically
            toys, not very convincing, but for your purpose that'd be fine.

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • Braindouche!
            Message 5 of 8 , May 9, 2008
              There is a very good ringmod plugin for Audacity here:

              http://www.shellworld.net/~davidsky/plug-ins.htm

              Ok, fine, I wouldn't know a good ring modulator if it invited me over for
              tea, but I've used it repeatedly to good effect. That particular pack of
              plugins has a big bunch of very fun toys to play with. I love them and
              recommend them highly.

              ~Mer
              www.braindouche.net

              Message 6 of 8 , May 9, 2008
                On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Braindouche! <braindouche@...> wrote:
                > There is a very good ringmod plugin for Audacity here:
                >
                > http://www.shellworld.net/~davidsky/plug-ins.htm

                Oh, cool. I hadn't thought about looking for outside plugins, but of
                course that's a good idea.

                Tangential trivia: ring modulators were how BBC sound engineers
                created the infamous 'Dalek' voice effect back in the early 1960s.
                Back then sound engineering really was electrical engineering, and
                they had to build all this stuff themselves.

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • Braindouche!
                Message 7 of 8 , May 9, 2008
                  aaand, if you're the kind of geek that apparently Steve and I are, you
                  should go to YouTube and search "radiophonic workshop" and watch everything
                  there to get a vague idea of how they used to do audio mayhem before, yanno,
                  computers. Or synths. Or Moogs. Because it's awesome. You'll get a bunch of
                  BBC documentaries, build to the usual high brit standards. I love 'em.

                  praisebetoDeliaDerbyshireforeverandeveramen.

                  ~Mer