Re: [podcasters] LAME vs. Fraunhofer MP3 Encoding

    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2008
      > On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Mike Wills <mike@...> wrote:
      > > My WAV file is 32 bit, and I tried using the following switches " -b 160 -m
      > > s -h -p --bitwidth 16".

      Also, I forgot: you should be encoding to joint stereo, not full
      stereo. That would be '-m j', not '-m s' as you typed.

      Podcasters should *always* encode to joint stereo, not mono or stereo.
      If your source file is mono, it'll sound just as good, and play
      correctly on some devices that flake out on mono MP3 files (including
      iPods with older firmware). If your source file is stereo, joint
      stereo will usually sound *better* than encoding to full stereo,
      because it makes more efficient use of your bitrate.

      This is probably a good time, too, to puncture the false belief some
      people still have that mono MP3 files are smaller, or that sample rate
      or bit width makes a difference to the MP3 file size. It doesn't.
      All of those things matter to your input, but they don't matter after
      compression. Look at the math in my prior post. The *ONLY* things
      that determine the size of an MP3 file are the bit rate and the number
      of seconds. Period.

      Sound files are not magical. These numbers and settings all mean
      things. MP3 compression algorithms may be complicated, but terms like
      'bit rate' and 'sample rate' are pretty easy to grasp. You can read
      and find out what they are and how they work, and it'll make you a
      better podcaster.

      http://www.escapepod.org