Re: [podcasters] Podcast-Pro Royalty free music backgrounds and sound effects.

  • Martin McKeay
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2008
      Okay Beatdock, don't take this the wrong way, but as a security
      professional, I take one look at your email and your web page and my
      paranoia sense kicks into high gear. The email comes across as spam, plain
      and simple. I'd say it's inappropriate for this list, but I'm not the one
      who makes that sort of call (is there anyone that does?). Offering
      something for $48 that usually costs 10x as much makes me think 'pirated
      software', a bait and switch to get contact information and credit card
      numbers. Your web page only furthers this assessment, looking like
      something someone banged out in fifteen minutes on Frontpage or something
      similar. There aren't any links out or malware on the site that I found,
      but it still looks more than a little suspicious, especially when you add in
      the other indicators I mentioned.

      I'm sorry if this is a legitimate offer and a legit business. You'll want
      to spend a couple of hundred dollars to have someone create a better site if
      this is legit. You'll also want to post more information about your company
      and exactly what it is you do, how you can offer this sort of software so
      cheaply, and generally make your site look more professional. You probably
      shouldn't spam this list either, unless you're contributing more than just
      'buy my stuff' emails.

      Please let me know how I'm wrong. I'll take a lack of response as
      verification of my suspicions.

      Martin

      Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
      Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
      and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
      Email: martin@...
      YIM: mmckeay@...
      TwitterID: mckeay
      (W) 707-495-7926

      On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 7:42 AM, beatdock <beatdock@...> wrote:

      > Podcast-Pro
      > Royalty free music backgrounds and sound effects.
      >
      > With over 400 music backgrounds and 2500
      > sound effects, professional Podcasting was never so easy to create.
      >
      > Podcast-Pro is a premiere music background and sound effects library ideal
      > for professional
      > podcating or Videoasting.
      >
      > It contains over 400 professionally produced music backgrounds and over
      > 2500 outstanding
      > sound effects giving you all the essential tools to create professional
      > Podcasts or any other
      > media project.
      >
      > Benefit today and get access to over 400 TOP QUALITY MUSIC tracks and over
      > 2500 sound
      > effects and save hundreds of dollars as this products usually sells for
      > $499.00 now you can
      > get it for
      > ONLY $47.99
      >
      > Please visit : http://www.beats4podcast.com/ and preview all our great
      > music.

    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2008
        From: "Martin McKeay"
        (snip)
        > I'm sorry if this is a legitimate offer and a legit business. You'll want
        > to spend a couple of hundred dollars to have someone create a better site
        > if
        > this is legit. You'll also want to post more information about your
        > company
        > and exactly what it is you do, how you can offer this sort of software so
        > cheaply, and generally make your site look more professional. You
        > probably
        > shouldn't spam this list either, unless you're contributing more than just
        > 'buy my stuff' emails.
        (snip)

        AND ... there is no indication on the website on what *format* these audio
        files are in. Are they wav or mp3 or ??

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • deepfraught
        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2008
          The page source shows a Rapidweaver theme used. Rapidweaver is
          described as Mac exclusive software.
          http://realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/

          It looks like a spam-lite version of the BeatDock.com site it is
          linking the media from. The beatdock.com site articles look like an
          auto-gen copy/paste that has failed to replicate formatting marks from
          wherever it was sourced.

          Both their contact pages are the same unidentified forms, but
          BeatDock.com about page notes Don Taylor as the CEO. The photo used
          there looks like this same Don Taylor biography here:
          http://www.mevio.com/music/?artist_id=5029
          The license agreement does note an exception for free use of the music
          in Greece or Cyprus. Perhaps if legit Don Taylor wants to maintain
          exclusive rights there?

          The original email post to us was from BeatDock with mail address
          BeatDock@... so I suppose if this is legit, we will hear Don Taylor
          introduce himself and provide some better creds to answer your
          questions Martin :)

          David
          (deepfraught)