Re: [podcasters] Extracting iTunes Podcast Reviews from the IMS

    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2008
      I haven't heard of Apple exposing any feed or API to access the
      reviews. AppleScript wouldn't help, because the reviews aren't really
      data stored in iTunes; it's Web content that iTunes is displaying.

      Unless you have an unusually high volume of reviews, you can probably
      get by just by checking every few days and manually copy-and-pasting.

      On 5/2/08, Jason Tucker <abstrakone@...> wrote:
      > Greetings all,
      >
      > I'm looking for a way to go about extracting the reviews people have
      > left for my podcast(s) on the iTunes Music Store.
      >
      > Currently I'm using SimplePie for PHP to extract this info from the
      > Reviews Feed that Podcast Pickle provides. iTunes doesn't provide such
      > functionality so I'm looking for another way to go about this. Any
      > thoughts? I was thinking about using AppleScript to hit the iTunes.app
      > directly to access such data but I doubt that would be very efficient
      > if it did work at all.
      >
      > Any suggestions on how to go about this? BTW, here is how I did this
      > using SimplePie for the Podcastpickle.com website:
      >
      > <?php echo SimplePieWP('http://podcastpickle.com/cast/reviews/19096',
      > array(
      > 'items' => 999,
      > 'cache_duration' => 1800,
      > 'date_format' => 'j M Y, g:i a',
      > 'template' => 'reviews',
      > 'truncate_item_description' => '300'));
      > ?>
      >

      > I shared my secret now you share me yours :)
      >
      > --
      > Jason Tucker
      > http://www.jasontucker.us
      >
      > Host of the following podcasts:
      > http://www.TuckerTales.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/ysncf9
      > http://www.GeekFit.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/yj48uq
      > http://www.EverythingTech.tv itunes: http://tinyurl.com/ypx6db
      > http://www.BarNutsPodcast.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/yvvkqb

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Evo Terra
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2008
        On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Jason Tucker <abstrakone@...> wrote:
        > I'm looking for a way to go about extracting the reviews people have
        > left for my podcast(s) on the iTunes Music Store.

        You might want to make sure you're not violating and TOS or copyright
        issues by these actions. Not saying you are, just that you need to
        know that a possible issue exists.

        Years back, my company ran into an issue with a website that allowed
        for reviews of our products and services (others, too). We were not
        allowed to re-post the information on our site due to copyright
        issues. The rights to the reviews were jointly held between the review
        site and the author. We could get the rights from the review site (for
        a fee), but the logistics of getting permission from the authors of
        the reviews were too daunting.

        Food for thought!

        E.
        --
        Evo Terra
        Podiobooks.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2008
          I was just thinking i could use applescript to pull the data from itunes
          directly.. I looked and I don't see any way to go about that. It's pretty
          lame that apple doesnt expose data like that via API or RSS. They do expose
          some chart info from the itunes music store via rss:

          http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStoreServices.woa/wa/MRSS/rssGenerator

          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2008
            On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Jason Tucker <abstrakone@...> wrote:
            > I was just thinking i could use applescript to pull the data from itunes
            > directly.. I looked and I don't see any way to go about that. It's pretty
            > lame that apple doesnt expose data like that via API or RSS.

            Why would they? The purpose of the reviews is to inform people who
            are browsing through podcasts in iTunes. An RSS feed of the reviews
            wouldn't serve that purpose. I think you're also the first podcaster
            I've ever heard of who wants to reuse those reviews on his own site,
            much less automate it, so there clearly isn't a wide demand.

            http://www.escapepod.org