An Actual Reliable Hosting Provider

  • houseofchic
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 29 6:13 PM
      Hi Folks,

      I've finally come to realise that despite their ads saturating the
      podcast world, GoDaddy are (possibly) the worst out there and I'm
      fighting an unwinnable battle. Things have now got to the point that
      not only does my site http://www.directorsnotes.com take an age to
      load, if it loads at all, but I now loose posts when trying to update
      the blog as the Wordpress admin times out trying to save or preview a
      post meaning that it takes at least 3+ tries, a load of cmd+c/cmd+v
      and a massive chunk of time to get anythng out and I just don't need it!

      I've done the customer service dance and they blame Wordpress/my
      installation of it and just tell me to basically go away as it's not
      their problem.

      Can anyone suggest a RELIABLE hosting provider (Dreamhost?) that I can
      switch to and if anyone has advice on the best way to do this with the
      minimum disruption to my subscribers/blog visitors I'll be eternally
      grateful.

      Thanks guys

      ________
      MarBelle
      Directors Notes
      The What, How & Why of Independent Filmmaking
      http://www.directorsnotes.com
    • MissPeter
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 29 7:59 PM
        For me, hosting has been an ordeal of finding the best combination of
        bandwidth, storage, uptime and then most importantly - price. So, even
        though I had some major downtime with dreamhost, I am still with them
        and I am getting ready to renew my plan for at least another year. I
        had a rough period of about 2 weeks where my sites were mostly down
        while they were swapping out some server or something and I hated
        dreamhost but then after looking around for a better deal, I decided
        to stay put. After all, 2 bad weeks out of 2 years is close to 99%
        uptime which isn't bad for 10 bucks a month considering that I get 600
        GB of storage and 11 TB of bandwidth. They changed their referral code
        deal where they won't let me give away the full $97 discount anymore
        but you can use the code "MISSPETER" and still get $50 off of your
        purchase if you decide to sign up.

        -p

        --
        http://www.musicNerve.com - strange music for strange people
      • Shawn Thorpe
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 29 9:30 PM
          On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM, MissPeter <peter@...> wrote:

          > For me, hosting has been an ordeal of finding the best combination of
          > bandwidth, storage, uptime and then most importantly - price. So, even
          > though I had some major downtime with dreamhost, I am still with them
          > and I am getting ready to renew my plan for at least another year. I
          > had a rough period of about 2 weeks where my sites were mostly down
          > while they were swapping out some server or something and I hated
          > dreamhost but then after looking around for a better deal, I decided
          > to stay put. After all, 2 bad weeks out of 2 years is close to 99%
          > uptime which isn't bad for 10 bucks a month considering that I get 600
          > GB of storage and 11 TB of bandwidth. They changed their referral code
          > deal where they won't let me give away the full $97 discount anymore
          > but you can use the code "MISSPETER" and still get $50 off of your
          > purchase if you decide to sign up.
          >
          > -p
          >
          > .
          > _,_._,___

          I also like DreamHost. I moved from GoDaddy to DreamHost last year.
          Several sites. And the move was relatively painless. My recommended plan
          of action for a move like this is:

          1.) Backup your WordPress database, entries, themes and plugins to your
          computer.
          2.) Open your DreamHost account. Use the DreamHost one-click installer to
          install a fresh copy of WordPress to your new hosting account.
          3.) Add the data you backed up from your old installation to the new
          installation.
          4.) Change your domain name's DNS to work with DreamHost's servers instead
          of GoDaddy's.
          5.) You're done!

          Once the DNS changes completely switch over to the DreamHost account (may
          take up to a day, depending) you can get rid of the GoDaddy account. Also,
          the change should seem relatively seamless to your audience. You shouldn't
          need to change any RSS feeds, or anything like that. You may want to post a
          message or release a short audio episode a couple days ahead of the move,
          just so your audience will know to expect downtime from your site.

          --
          -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
          Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

          Shawnogram - Content = life.
          http://www.shawnogram.com/

          Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
          http://www.phantompower.org/

        • houseofchic
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 30 12:59 AM
            Thanks for the advice guys, I was leaning to Dreamhost as Wordpress
            list it as a recommended hosting provider, hopefully the move will go
            smoothly.

            Oddly on a side note, when I was on the phone to GoDaddy tech support
            last night to find out why my site was down again the guy on the phone
            said "No, we don't know how long it'll be down etc. btw your hosting's
            due to end soon, want to re-up!" Talk about a bad time to remind
            someone they could stay with your crummy service or move on!

            Cheers
            MarBelle
          • Katronix Serf
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 30 1:20 AM
              Shawn Thorpe wrote:

              > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM, MissPeter <peter@...
              > <mailto:peter%40musicnerve.com>> wrote:
              >
              > > For me, hosting has been an ordeal of finding the best combination of
              > > bandwidth, storage, uptime and then most importantly - price. So, even
              > > though I had some major downtime with dreamhost, I am still with them
              > > and I am getting ready to renew my plan for at least another year. I
              > > had a rough period of about 2 weeks where my sites were mostly down
              > > while they were swapping out some server or something and I hated
              > > dreamhost but then after looking around for a better deal, I decided
              > > to stay put. After all, 2 bad weeks out of 2 years is close to 99%
              > > uptime which isn't bad for 10 bucks a month considering that I get 600
              > > GB of storage and 11 TB of bandwidth. They changed their referral code
              > > deal where they won't let me give away the full $97 discount anymore
              > > but you can use the code "MISSPETER" and still get $50 off of your
              > > purchase if you decide to sign up.
              > >
              > > -p
              > >
              > > .
              > > _,_._,___
              > >

              > I also like DreamHost. I moved from GoDaddy to DreamHost last year.
              > Several sites. And the move was relatively painless. My recommended plan
              > of action for a move like this is:
              >
              > 1.) Backup your WordPress database, entries, themes and plugins to your
              > computer.
              > 2.) Open your DreamHost account. Use the DreamHost one-click installer to
              > install a fresh copy of WordPress to your new hosting account.
              > 3.) Add the data you backed up from your old installation to the new
              > installation.
              > 4.) Change your domain name's DNS to work with DreamHost's servers instead
              > of GoDaddy's.
              > 5.) You're done!
              >
              > Once the DNS changes completely switch over to the DreamHost account (may
              > take up to a day, depending) you can get rid of the GoDaddy account. Also,
              > the change should seem relatively seamless to your audience. You shouldn't
              > need to change any RSS feeds, or anything like that. You may want to
              > post a
              > message or release a short audio episode a couple days ahead of the move,
              > just so your audience will know to expect downtime from your site.
              >
              > --
              >
              > .

              I didn't get involved in this discussion, as I work for Dreamhost, and
              therefore a bit biased. If you want to make sure everything is going to
              look the same before changing your DNS, I would suggest:

              2.) Open your DreamHost account. Create a free dreamhosters.com
              subdomain, and point your domain and this subdomain to the same place,
              using the same user. Use the DreamHost one-click installer to install a
              fresh copy of WordPress to your new hosting account.

              Doing this, will also allow you to make sure everything looks right,
              before you transfer the DNS over. Just make sure that when your doing
              this, you have to edit the database itself to point to the
              dreamhosters.com site, instead of your real domain, otherwise WordPress
              will keep sending you back to your domain which is still hosted with
              GoDaddy.

              Chris
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30 5:29 AM
                On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:13 PM, houseofchic <houseofchic@...> wrote:

                > Can anyone suggest a RELIABLE hosting provider (Dreamhost?) that I can
                > switch to and if anyone has advice on the best way to do this with the
                > minimum disruption to my subscribers/blog visitors I'll be eternally
                > grateful.

                Dreamhost is a good value, but if reliability's your prime concern, I
                don't think they'll satisfy you. The problems and resolutions that
                drove me off of Dreamhost, in order:

                1.) E-mail unreliability. They were having major, major problems in
                the last couple years with their e-mail servers being flagged by
                SpamCop and other blacklist services. E-mail communication with
                authors and narrators is mission critical for me, and messages just
                weren't arriving or were going into people's spam buckets. So I moved
                my e-mail to a third-party provider (http://webmail.us)

                2.) Then I had to stop using them to serve my MP3 files because I was
                overloading their Web server with number of connections, and they
                throttled my bandwidth. This was *well* under the 5 TB limit I was
                supposed to have. I don't think it's possible for anyone to really
                hit their stated limits, because they'll shut you down for technical
                reasons before you get close. I consider it fraudulent advertising.
                Anyway, I let Rob Walch talk me into moving back to Libsyn. LIbsyn
                doesn't have perfect uptime either, but they're better than Dreamhost
                and can handle any level of traffic.

                3.) Finally, I moved my podcast domains off of them because database
                issues were causing frequent downtime on my Wordpress blogs. Their
                Web servers were still running so they were claiming I had full
                uptime, but a white screen that says "Error establishing database
                connection" means my site is down in practice. And this happened *a
                lot*. I finally moved my domains to my own virtual private server --
                a solution I could afford and had the technical knowledge to
                implement, but not everybody can.

                I still have a Dreamhost account (I paid for 2 years) and still have
                some domains with them, but they're less important ones. I won't
                argue that Dreamhost gives you a lot for the price (and I still use
                them as a cheap registrar -- $10 is a good deal, and I outright refuse
                to work with GoDaddy) but I wouldn't consider them "reliable."

                Who's truly reliable? I wish I knew. Unless you're willing to pay
                the big bucks for a managed server, everything's a tradeoff. I've
                found http://webhostingtalk.com to be a good resource for researching
                hosting services; if a service is unreliable, a lot of people there
                will say so.

                Good luck to you, and let us know what you find.

                http://www.escapepod.org
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 30 5:41 AM
                  On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:59 PM, MissPeter <peter@...> wrote:
                  > [ . . . ] After all, 2 bad weeks out of 2 years is close to 99%
                  > uptime which isn't bad for 10 bucks a month considering that I get 600
                  > GB of storage and 11 TB of bandwidth.

                  It sounds like their marketing pitch has been a success. Are you
                  actually *using* 600 GB of storage and 11 TB of bandwidth with them?
                  Or even 10% of that? Are you getting your money's worth? I actually
                  did come close to using half my stated bandwidth -- I was pushing a
                  little over 2 TB a month with Escape Pod and Pseudopod's MP3 files
                  combined, and had 5.5 TB -- and got shut down.

                  They can promise those pie-in-the-sky numbers because they know that
                  most Web sites will never use more than a few megabytes of space and a
                  few gigabytes of bandwidth. Testing their limits would be very
                  difficult -- so they'll offer you outrageous numbers. It's like
                  restaurants promising all-you-can-eat buffets, knowing that the
                  average customer won't eat more than a plate of food anyway. In the
                  meantime, you think you're getting a deal, and feel better about
                  paying for mediocre food (or two weeks of downtime).

                  Note that I don't think this problem is specific to Dreamhost. All
                  shared hosting services oversell. Dreamhost oversells more than most
                  (and they admit it) but you won't find a sub-$10 hosting provider that
                  doesn't. And I don't know who's better. All I know is that I won't
                  be renewing with them when my service expires, and I'll no longer
                  trust them for anything important.

                  http://www.escapepod.org
                • Tristin
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 30 2:38 PM
                    GoDaddy is the worst host on the internet. I hosted with them for two
                    years before I finally could not take it anymore. My website was
                    taking 30 to 45 seconds to load during daytime hours. When I called
                    their support they said this is normal for all hosts during peek times
                    and tried to imply that I was an idiot for even complaining.

                    After much research I decided to go with a small host called
                    WebSolvents.com which I have been happy with for years. Not only is
                    their servers fast but their customer service is the best I have ever
                    seen in hosting. If I ever have a problem I just hop on icq and talk
                    to their support and they jump right on it and they are always friendly.

                    Overall all, when your looking for a new host, make sure you look at
                    sites on that host that run the same software you do. Check those
                    sites during peak times and see if they load fast. For Word Press it
                    should be less then a fraction of a second. If they don't load
                    quickly, then run away and find another host. Don't let any host tell
                    you that lag is normal during peek times becuase that is complete
                    horse shit.

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "houseofchic" <houseofchic@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Folks,
                    >
                    > I've finally come to realise that despite their ads saturating the
                    > podcast world, GoDaddy are (possibly) the worst out there and I'm
                    > fighting an unwinnable battle. Things have now got to the point that
                    > not only does my site http://www.directorsnotes.com take an age to
                    > load, if it loads at all, but I now loose posts when trying to update
                    > the blog as the Wordpress admin times out trying to save or preview a
                    > post meaning that it takes at least 3+ tries, a load of cmd+c/cmd+v
                    > and a massive chunk of time to get anythng out and I just don't need
                    it!

                    > I've done the customer service dance and they blame Wordpress/my
                    > installation of it and just tell me to basically go away as it's not
                    > their problem.
                    >
                    > Can anyone suggest a RELIABLE hosting provider (Dreamhost?) that I can
                    > switch to and if anyone has advice on the best way to do this with the
                    > minimum disruption to my subscribers/blog visitors I'll be eternally
                    > grateful.
                    >
                    > Thanks guys
                    >
                    > ________
                    > MarBelle
                    > Directors Notes
                    > The What, How & Why of Independent Filmmaking
                    > http://www.directorsnotes.com

                  • Derek Colanduno
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 30 3:44 PM
                      All of my shows and websites are hosted with Kat Alley.
                      http://www.katalley.com/ they are VERY Podcaster friendly, and the company
                      is owned by a lady who DOES a podcast so she understands our needs. I have
                      several sites using everything from Wordpress to different CMS packages and
                      I get about 99.999% uptime and the prices are great. :)

                      ---------------
                      An Actual Reliable Hosting Provider
                      Posted by: "houseofchic" houseofchic@... houseofchic
                      Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:13 pm (PDT)

                      <snip>

                      Can anyone suggest a RELIABLE hosting provider (Dreamhost?) that I can
                      switch to and if anyone has advice on the best way to do this with the
                      minimum disruption to my subscribers/blog visitors I'll be eternally
                      grateful.
                    • Gustavo E. Flores
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 30 7:38 PM
                        You might want to take a look at PowWeb (HYPERLINK
                        "http://www.powweb.com/"www.powweb.com). I�ve got nothing but excellent
                        reviews for them and I am yet to find a better deal on web hosting (based on
                        the current price and what they offer).

                        If you (or anybody) decides for PowWeb, please mention on their signup form
                        that you learned about them through me. My domain is HYPERLINK
                        "http://www.emergencyteam.net/"www.emergencyteam.net

                        Thanks ;)

                        Gustavo E. Flores Bauer, MS4 EMT-P :.

                        e.mail: HYPERLINK
                        "BLOCKED::mailto:gflores@..."gflores@...

                        web: HYPERLINK "BLOCKED::http://www.emergencyteam.net/"www.emergencyteam.net

                        DR cel: 829.770.0707

                        PR cel: 787.630.6301

                        "My karma ran over your dogma."

                        _____

                        All of my shows and websites are hosted with Kat Alley.
                        HYPERLINK "http://www.katalley.com/"http://www.katalley-.com/ they are VERY
                        Podcaster friendly, and the company
                        is owned by a lady who DOES a podcast so she understands our needs. I have
                        several sites using everything from Wordpress to different CMS packages and
                        I get about 99.999% uptime and the prices are great. :)

                        ----------------
                        An Actual Reliable Hosting Provider
                        Posted by: "houseofchic" HYPERLINK
                        "mailto:houseofchic%40yahoo.co.uk"houseofchic@....-uk houseofchic
                        Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:13 pm (PDT)

                        <snip>

                        Can anyone suggest a RELIABLE hosting provider (Dreamhost?) that I can
                        switch to and if anyone has advice on the best way to do this with the
                        minimum disruption to my subscribers/-blog visitors I'll be eternally
                        grateful.

                        Checked by AVG.
                        6:10 PM

                        Checked by AVG.