Re: Recording from Microphone AND Wave in Windows XP

  • Rick Wezowicz
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
      "have you tried http://www.totalrecorder.com ?"

      Agreed ... Total Recorder is excellent ... (it can also help you
      record streams). It's only about $10 if you want to buy the full
      version ... I highly recommend it.

      Rick
    • namlig1
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
        Thanks for the heads up on Total Recorder.

        I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
        wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
        using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
        trying it.

        In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
        "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your choice.

        I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a start.

        - John

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Wezowicz" <rwezowicz@h...> wrote:

        > "have you tried http://www.totalrecorder.com ?"
        >
        > Agreed ... Total Recorder is excellent ... (it can also help you
        > record streams). It's only about $10 if you want to buy the full
        > version ... I highly recommend it.
        >
        > Rick
      • andrew clarke
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
          On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:20:14PM -0000, namlig1 wrote:

          > I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
          > wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
          > using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
          > trying it.
          >
          > In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
          > "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your choice.

          Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
          Media video file, linked from
          http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
          he's using Audacity.

          For some PC sound card the recording input is named "What U Hear" or
          "Sum" instead of "Stereo Mix".

          Total Recorder is unnecessary for most people.

          > I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a start.

          The recorded audio of the mix should be near to CD quality on any modern
          sound card provided you record at 44.1 KHz at 16-bit.

          Regards
          Andrew
        • raytracer
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, andrew clarke <mail@o...> wrote:
            > On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:20:14PM -0000, namlig1 wrote:
            >
            > > I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
            > > wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
            > > using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
            > > trying it.
            > >
            > > In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
            > > "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your
            choice.

            > Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
            > Media video file, linked from
            > http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
            > he's using Audacity.

            Woohoo! I'm popular!

            Too popular in fact, my poor little cable modem is melting under
            the strain of downloads. If anyone wants to mirror this somewhere
            feel free.

            > For some PC sound card the recording input is named "What U Hear" or
            > "Sum" instead of "Stereo Mix".
            >
            > Total Recorder is unnecessary for most people.
            >
            > > I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a
            start.

            > The recorded audio of the mix should be near to CD quality on any modern
            > sound card provided you record at 44.1 KHz at 16-bit.

            I record my weblogs at 22050, and encode with lame at 64kbps. Not
            CD quality, to be sure, but it's probably good enough for my purposes.

            > Regards
            > Andrew

            Mark
          • Kath
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
              Hi everyone, I've been trying ipodder for windows since last night and it downloads the files ok but doesn't seem to send them to my ipod. is it supposed to be integrated with itunes or is that just the mac version or have I missed an option somewhere. I've been listening to the files on my harddrive then I can transfer to ipod later. also, is there a way to change the downloads directory location - I prefer to put downloads in another directory so it makes backing up a single data area easier instead of having to select data from program files sub-dirs.

              great idea though, I've been doing netradio for last 4 years and haven't uploaded recorded shows (one reason is the copyright issues) but maybe I'll try this out to send with the rss feeds. as a listener it's great, because there's so many sites I visit, I hardly make it back to the same ones very often so this way I can subscribe and have the shows sent to me to listen when I have the chance. I'm hoping some of the radio stations back in Australia might start using these technologies so I can listen from here. we always thought it'd be cool to have netradio in the car! this is the start. keep up the great work :)

              Kath

              ::: http://www.AliaK.com :::
              ::: briz:b:e:a:t:s internet radio @ www.pulseradio.net  :::
              ::: [filter] listings : electronic music:arts:projects:news:events :::
              login & post your news

            • Gordon Smith
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
                On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:09:26 -0000, raytracer <markv@...> wrote:

                > > Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
                > > Media video file, linked from
                > > http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
                > > he's using Audacity.
                >
                > Woohoo! I'm popular!
                >
                > Too popular in fact, my poor little cable modem is melting under
                > the strain of downloads. If anyone wants to mirror this somewhere
                > feel free.

                http://las.new-england.net.au/brainwagon/podcast.wmv

                Gordon
                --
                Gordon Smith / VK2DJG
                http://las.new-england.net.au/
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "raytracer" <markv@b...> wrote:

                  > Woohoo! I'm popular!
                  >
                  > Too popular in fact, my poor little cable modem is melting under
                  > the strain of downloads. If anyone wants to mirror this somewhere
                  > feel free.
                  >
                  > Mark

                  How about a Bit Torrent? (Forgive me, it's my first time seeding and
                  I'm not sure I actually did it right)

                  http://www.escom.biz/bt//download.php?id=925&name=podcast.wmv.torrent

                  Here's to hoping that it actually worked.
                • billzegarski
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                    On this note, does anyone know if there is something like a USB mixer
                    board that can be added to a PC or Mac? I want to do a cross fade,
                    but I can only click on one fader at a time. a manual board would be
                    GREAT!

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, andrew clarke <mail@o...> wrote:
                    > On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:20:14PM -0000, namlig1 wrote:
                    >
                    > > I've found a (rather primitive) way to route the sound of both the
                    > > wave channel and the microphone channel to any recording program (I'm
                    > > using Cool Edit). It seemed too simple before so I didn't bother
                    > > trying it.
                    > >
                    > > In the sound properties in Windows select, as your recording channel,
                    > > "stereo mix" then go to town in the audio editing program of your
                    choice.

                    > Mark VandeWettering of Brainwagon demonstrates this in a 10 Mb Windows
                    > Media video file, linked from
                    > http://brainwagon.org/archives/2004/10/06/610/. Instead of CoolEdit Pro
                    > he's using Audacity.
                    >
                    > For some PC sound card the recording input is named "What U Hear" or
                    > "Sum" instead of "Stereo Mix".
                    >
                    > Total Recorder is unnecessary for most people.
                    >
                    > > I can't promise it'll be the best sound quality ever, but it's a
                    start.

                    > The recorded audio of the mix should be near to CD quality on any modern
                    > sound card provided you record at 44.1 KHz at 16-bit.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Andrew
                  • Wendy
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
                      I know people who do audio documentaries rave about something called
                      an MBox.

                      http://www.digidesign.com/products/mbox/

                      It might be exactly what you are looking for.

                      Be well,

                      Wendy
                    • dentonclayton
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
                        I own an mbox and have used it to record my music. It's a USB
                        interface that runs protools LE recording software. It has quarter-
                        inch jack inputs for your microphones, instruments, etc., and feeds
                        the audio into your pc/protools via usb. You can find them used on
                        ebay for about $350. I just heard about podcasting and am going to
                        see if I can use my mbox to create my 'cast. Fingers crossed, i'm
                        not that savvy...yet!