Re: [podcasters] Re: Recording in restaurants

  • Martin McKeay
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 5, 2008
      I'm using a Shure PG58 with my H4, and basically if you're not right up on
      the thing, you're not going to get recorded. It's great for noisy
      situations, but may take some getting used to if you don't like having the
      mic that close to your face.

      Martin

      Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
      Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
      and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
      Email: martin@...
      YIM: mmckeay@...
      TwitterID: mckeay
      (W) 707-495-7926

      On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 8:52 PM, spuhn <fatherspoon@...>
      wrote:

      > just the mic on the H4
      >
      > When we know we're going to stay at a table we'll bring along some
      > extra mics. I swear that thing works wonders sometimes
      >
      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Erk Pod" <erkpod@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Is that with or without an external mic, Spoon?
      > >

      > > Erk
      > >

      > > On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 1:34 PM, spuhn <fatherspoon@...>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > > We've used the H4 while recording at crowded bars and breweries with
      > > > great success. The only downfall is when the person you're talking to
      > > > speaks with a soft voice.
      > > >
      > > > cheers!
      > > > spoon
      > > >
      > > > <http://www.shouldidrinkthat.com>

    • Paul Puri
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 5, 2008
        On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 12:02 PM, stephen_e_nelson <stephenenelson@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello all...
        >
        > Anyway, we record on an Edirol R-09 in a noisy restaurant. (I've tried
        > quieter restaurants, but then we get too subdued ourselves.) I'd like
        > to keep the equipment bulk and setup time to a minimum, but is there
        > anything we can do to reduce background noise?
        >
        > The main improvement I was considering was to use clip-on mikes, which
        > would be small and unobtrusive. Can anyone recommend a
        > reasonably-priced model?

        First of all, welcome to the group Stephen!

        Second, as far as using a lavalier, that is a great idea. The best mic to
        use for your situation would be something that has a small pickup pattern.
        If you are not familiar with the terminology, they would be either a
        cardiod, or hypercardiod.

        --
        Paul Puri

        My podcasting gear recommendations:
        http://podsafegear.com

        Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
        http://twitter.com/paulpuri

        Promotion without shame.
        Podcasting Announcements

      • Paul Puri
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 5, 2008
          On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

          > First of all, welcome to the group Stephen!

          Sorry, I hit send before I finished.

          The hardest part about finding the right mic is finding one that will work
          with the Edirol. It has a stereo mic input, so essentially you could hook up
          two mics as long as you have an adapter, and they have a phantom power pack
          built in. You can probably find a self powered mic between $40 to $200. The
          difference would be quality and features. Most are going to have a cardoid
          pattern, but a super cardoid would be much better if you can find one.

          I can't remember what mics Stephen Eley uses, but they were supposed to be
          pretty good. The name escapes me right now. Actually, it just came to me.

          http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/

          Hope this helps.

          --
          Paul Puri

          My podcasting gear recommendations:
          http://podsafegear.com

          Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
          http://twitter.com/paulpuri

          Promotion without shame.
          Podcasting Announcements

        • Stephen Nelson
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 5, 2008
            That's right-- I remember the mention of the Squid on PodHoles now.
            The Giant Squid cardioid stereo mike actually look perfect for what
            I'm trying to do, especially if I add in their battery power supply.
            Plus, the price is right.

            Thanks very much, Paul!

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 6, 2008
              On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 3:02 PM, stephen_e_nelson <stephenenelson@...> wrote:

              > The main improvement I was considering was to use clip-on mikes, which
              > would be small and unobtrusive. Can anyone recommend a
              > reasonably-priced model?

              The omni stereo mics from Giant Squid Audio Lab
              (http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com) have excellent sound quality
              and construction for the price.

              http://www.escapepod.org
            • Andrew Darlow
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 7, 2008
                Hi Stephen:

                If you are not actually eating during this podcast (and not shooting
                video), I'd recommend headset microphones. There are also some
                unidirectional mics that each of you can place on a mic stand. They
                tend to perform well under those conditions. Audio Technica ATR-30
                Unidirectional Microphone is one of them.

                The RadioShack Hands-Free Headset Microphone (model 33-3012 - about
                $30) works very well in my opinion and definitely reduces room noise.
                Placement is important to reduce plosives, and you don't want to move
                it around while recording or you will hear mic "tapping" sounds.

                I have an article here with info about both mics. http://tinyurl.com/
                24kyyu The RadioShack Hands-Free Headset Microphone can also be
                used with many handheld recorders, such as the Zoom H2. I've found
                the Zoom H2 to be very bad with regard to room noise when using the
                built-in mics (or even noise from tapping keys of a keyboard).

                I have tests of two mics available when you click on the flash player
                at the top of the page. They are labeled Test01,02, 03. The first two
                were done with a mic very similar to the Audio Technica ATR-30
                Unidirectional Microphone. It was actually a radio shack mic.

                All the best,

                Andrew
                Andrew Darlow
                Editor, The Imaging Buffet