Re: [podcasters] My Ex Sued Me For Doing a Podcast About Divorce

  • Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
      On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 4:54 pm, Steve Sergeant wrote:
      > As a former hiring manager at a large multi-national corporation, I
      > can confidently say: You should count on it.
      >
      > See:
      > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/20/eveningnews/main1734920.shtml

      We talked about this exact thing on the last episode of WhatTheCast
      (Episode 33). I think having this type of information on a blog or
      podcast (where it can be picked up my a search engine) is equivalent to
      disclosing information to an employer during an interview.

      Bottom line: free speech means people are also free to hear your words &
      read your speech, so make sure you own up to what you say :)
      --
      Brian Richardson
      - http://whatthecast.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
        On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:28 PM, David Smith <dbsmith01@...> wrote:

        > FWIW, on my state's employment website, my online resume includes a link
        > to my podcast. If it'd be a bad influence on employability, it's a bit
        > too late now. But I do seem to get a lot more contacts about jobs these
        > days, so perhaps it's a Good Thing.

        Personally, I think a lot of employers, especially in IT, either
        already or soon will be considering many "scandalous" activities
        unimportant.

        They care about things that affect the bottom line... that's all.

        -----
        Listen to "A Foolish World" by Ann Regentin for free:
        http://www.podiobooks.com/title/a-foolish-world/
      • David Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
          It was 3 Apr 2008, when Brian Richardson - WhatTheCas commented:

          > On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 4:54 pm, Steve Sergeant wrote:
          > > As a former hiring manager at a large multi-national corporation, I
          > > can confidently say: You should count on it.
          > >
          > > See:
          > > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/20/eveningnews/main1734920.shtml
          > >
          > We talked about this exact thing on the last episode of WhatTheCast
          > (Episode 33). I think having this type of information on a blog or
          > podcast (where it can be picked up my a search engine) is equivalent to
          > disclosing information to an employer during an interview.
          >
          > Bottom line: free speech means people are also free to hear your words &
          > read your speech, so make sure you own up to what you say :) -- Brian
          > Richardson

          FWIW, on my state's employment website, my online resume includes a link
          to my podcast. If it'd be a bad influence on employability, it's a bit
          too late now. But I do seem to get a lot more contacts about jobs these
          days, so perhaps it's a Good Thing.

          --
          Grizzly's Growls
          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
            I've always considered my blog and my podcasts to be part of a career
            building exercise, so there's not much contained in them that I'd be afraid
            of a potential boss finding. As a matter of fact, I got one job last year
            directly because of my blogging and podcasting. It didn't work out in the
            long run, but both exercises are still essential to my long term career
            growth.

            Martin

            Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
            Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>