Re: [podcasters] My Ex Sued Me For Doing a Podcast About Divorce

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
      You are sick... sick man... oh ah um... is it time to go home yet?

      --
      Mike Wills

      Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

    • Nobilis
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
        On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 4:07 PM, David Jackson <jacksongei@...> wrote:
        > I have similar issues with "Building a Better Dave" nothing better than finding out your girlfriends daughter googles you and found the "Masturbation should be an Olympic sport" episode. I also had my girlfriends ex-boyfriend give her a call when I mentioned that we had enjoyed a "discussion" its amazing who listens. You will be surprised. I will be joining the work force at the end of the year (I graduate from college) and I hope future employers don't do too many google searches.

        They do.

        A thorough search will penetrate my pseudonym, but a casual one shouldn't.
      • Steve Sergeant
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
          At 4:07 PM -0400 4/3/08, David Jackson wrote:
          >I hope future employers don't do too many google searches.

          As a former hiring manager at a large multi-national corporation, I
          can confidently say: You should count on it.

          See: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/20/eveningnews/main1734920.shtml

          As one of many credible sources.
        • Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
            On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 4:54 pm, Steve Sergeant wrote:
            > As a former hiring manager at a large multi-national corporation, I
            > can confidently say: You should count on it.
            >
            > See:
            > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/20/eveningnews/main1734920.shtml

            We talked about this exact thing on the last episode of WhatTheCast
            (Episode 33). I think having this type of information on a blog or
            podcast (where it can be picked up my a search engine) is equivalent to
            disclosing information to an employer during an interview.

            Bottom line: free speech means people are also free to hear your words &
            read your speech, so make sure you own up to what you say :)
            --
            Brian Richardson
            - http://whatthecast.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
              On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:28 PM, David Smith <dbsmith01@...> wrote:

              > FWIW, on my state's employment website, my online resume includes a link
              > to my podcast. If it'd be a bad influence on employability, it's a bit
              > too late now. But I do seem to get a lot more contacts about jobs these
              > days, so perhaps it's a Good Thing.

              Personally, I think a lot of employers, especially in IT, either
              already or soon will be considering many "scandalous" activities
              unimportant.

              They care about things that affect the bottom line... that's all.

              -----
              Listen to "A Foolish World" by Ann Regentin for free:
              http://www.podiobooks.com/title/a-foolish-world/
            • David Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
                It was 3 Apr 2008, when Brian Richardson - WhatTheCas commented:

                > On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 4:54 pm, Steve Sergeant wrote:
                > > As a former hiring manager at a large multi-national corporation, I
                > > can confidently say: You should count on it.
                > >
                > > See:
                > > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/20/eveningnews/main1734920.shtml
                > >
                > We talked about this exact thing on the last episode of WhatTheCast
                > (Episode 33). I think having this type of information on a blog or
                > podcast (where it can be picked up my a search engine) is equivalent to
                > disclosing information to an employer during an interview.
                >
                > Bottom line: free speech means people are also free to hear your words &
                > read your speech, so make sure you own up to what you say :) -- Brian
                > Richardson

                FWIW, on my state's employment website, my online resume includes a link
                to my podcast. If it'd be a bad influence on employability, it's a bit
                too late now. But I do seem to get a lot more contacts about jobs these
                days, so perhaps it's a Good Thing.

                --
                Grizzly's Growls
                Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2008
                  I've always considered my blog and my podcasts to be part of a career
                  building exercise, so there's not much contained in them that I'd be afraid
                  of a potential boss finding. As a matter of fact, I got one job last year
                  directly because of my blogging and podcasting. It didn't work out in the
                  long run, but both exercises are still essential to my long term career
                  growth.

                  Martin

                  Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
                  Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>