Re: [podcasters] Pod-Blogging

  • Will Brown
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
      > On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:31 AM, simplyrik <simplyRik@...> wrote:
      >
      > Does anyone else do this? What would be the pro's/Con's?

      I just restarted mixing blogs with my posts again. The biggest
      advantage I've seen since I started blogging is the added
      "Google-juice" of blogging.
      Since I have a very niche podcast, very niche topics that I blog about
      are ranked very high. For example, if you search NaPoWriMo (National
      Poetry Writing Month) in Google I'm on the front page.
      Google "NaPoWriMo 2008" and I'm number 2.

      The key to successful blogging and podcasting on the same site is a
      good themed layout. A basic Kubrick Wordpress theme with a long stream
      of posts will cause anything past the second or third post to be lost
      at that initial above-the-fold view. Good navigation is needed.

      I still need to customize it further, but I've been using the
      "Revolution Magazine" Wordpress theme for my podcast:
      http://www.CloudyDayArt.com/

      I paid $79 for it, but it best suited what I wanted to do. None of the
      free themes I found quite did it. I'm not much of a coder yet, so this
      got me running quickly.
      You can see the other themes he designs here: http://www.RevolutionTheme.com/

      Will

      --
      ======================
      http://www.WillBrownOnline.com/ - All Things Me
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
        So would you say that scale was the driver? Or the complexity being increased?
      • simplyrik
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
          Nice. Thanks for sharing.
        • simplyrik
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
            I really like the theme you have selected. Very clean.
          • Ratbag Radio
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
              I aggregate the three podcasts I produce on three separate blog sites.
              They create my feed and I focus the topics that way as these are
              themed blogs and each caters to a specific niche.

              But I also run another all in blog which I treat as a multimedia
              aggregator channel.

              There I post text comment and all the single episodes of the other
              podcasts by importing them as standalone posts with episode flash
              players and file links.

              I also offer each of those separate podcasts as pop up Contact media
              players and direct links to the video I share there. I also offer
              other audio (by other producers either as reposts or via individual
              Contact Media players) so the site as well as a blog functions as a
              sort of online radio station.

              I've also created a RSS feed for all the audio shared on this blog
              site so people can subscribe to the lot if they want .

              I think mixing your media on specific podcast feed can be very
              confusing to your listeners and subscribers so I want to keep each
              podcast channel separate and rarely will post other non audio media or
              text.

              At the top of my blog site -- my aggregator -- I also run a bar of
              links to these other podcast channels.

              I also harness my labels/tags with servicing in mind and much
              appreciate the power and speed of the NEO Blogger template:
              http://hackosphere.blogspot.com/2006/12/now-available-neo-template.html
              which I think suits podcasting wonderfully as you can 'fit" a lot of
              stuff on the one page through extemely fast java driven links wghile
              still generating a serviceble feed.

              So I'm trying to do a lot of things.

              dave riley
            • Erk Pod
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
                What I find confusing is when people say "to subscribe, go to location X. To
                read my blog, go to location Y. To buy from my new merchandise store, go to
                location Z". I tell people to go to http://www.erkpod.com.au (and I
                purchased http://www.erkpod.com because I have found for some people, they
                were using .com and not .com.au) for everything and then they can do
                whatever they want there.

                Erk
                Sydney, Australia
                http://www.erkpod.com.au

                On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Ratbag Radio <ratbagradio@...> wrote:

                > I think mixing your media on specific podcast feed can be very
                > confusing to your listeners and subscribers so I want to keep each
                > podcast channel separate and rarely will post other non audio media or
                > text.

              • Rob Greenlee-WebTalkGuys
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 5, 2008
                  I wanted to share a link to our new Zune April Newsletter. The newsletter
                  does have a podcast section as you will see. http://tinyurl.com/6avk2r

                  Rob Greenlee