Pod-Blogging

  • simplyrik
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
      I am just curious if anyone else mixes blog posts with their Podcast show notes? I only ask
      this because I manage my podcast site through my instance of WordPress. Of course the
      main purpose of this site is to host my podcasts and act as the repository for the show notes,
      but between shows I also post blogs on random rants that pertain to the theme of the
      podcast.

      Does anyone else do this? What would be the pro's/Con's?

      simplyRik
      http://modernmanhood.surching4me.com
    • davem2696
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
        I use my blog to post show notes, but write them in narrative form.
        Sometimes it is hard to get all the podcast info into the post, but I
        like the format and the fact that it puts al lot of show information
        up so that visitors from the website can decide if they want to
        listen. Another disadvantage is that when I do other posts (non-
        podcast), the show notes drop off the front page more quickly unless
        you set the page up to scroll into infinity (not good).
        You can take a look at how I do it at http://sctrcst.com
        DaveM
        SCTRCST Scooter Internet Radio

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "simplyrik" <simplyRik@...> wrote:

        > I am just curious if anyone else mixes blog posts with their
        Podcast show notes? I only ask
        > this because I manage my podcast site through my instance of
        WordPress. Of course the
        > main purpose of this site is to host my podcasts and act as the
        repository for the show notes,
        > but between shows I also post blogs on random rants that pertain to
        the theme of the
        > podcast.
        >

        > Does anyone else do this? What would be the pro's/Con's?
        >
        > simplyRik
        > http://modernmanhood.surching4me.com

      • Prime Point Srinivasan
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
          Hi

          I edit an ezine integrated with podcast and mix with blog posts. Please
          visit

          www.corporatezine.in
          www.poduniversal.com

          srinvasan

          On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 6:01 PM, simplyrik <simplyRik@...> wrote:

          > I am just curious if anyone else mixes blog posts with their Podcast
          > show notes? I only ask
          > this because I manage my podcast site through my instance of WordPress. Of
          > course the
          > main purpose of this site is to host my podcasts and act as the repository
          > for the show notes,
          > but between shows I also post blogs on random rants that pertain to the
          > theme of the
          > podcast.
          >
          > Does anyone else do this? What would be the pro's/Con's?
          >
          > simplyRik
          > http://modernmanhood.surching4me.com

        • Martin McKeay
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
            I started with a standard blog and then started podcasting. I've always
            mixed the show notes in with the blog posts. It's only recently, when I
            took on a co-host that I separated the podcast show notes out to their own
            blog. I still put a link to the show notes in the blog, but they have a
            home of their own on another blog.

            Martin

            On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 6:12 AM, davem2696 <davem1@...> wrote:

            > I use my blog to post show notes, but write them in narrative form.
            > Sometimes it is hard to get all the podcast info into the post, but I
            > like the format and the fact that it puts al lot of show information
            > up so that visitors from the website can decide if they want to
            > listen. Another disadvantage is that when I do other posts (non-
            > podcast), the show notes drop off the front page more quickly unless
            > you set the page up to scroll into infinity (not good).
            > You can take a look at how I do it at http://sctrcst.com
            > DaveM
            > SCTRCST Scooter Internet Radio
            >

            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "simplyrik" <simplyRik@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am just curious if anyone else mixes blog posts with their
            > Podcast show notes? I only ask
            > > this because I manage my podcast site through my instance of
            > WordPress. Of course the
            > > main purpose of this site is to host my podcasts and act as the
            > repository for the show notes,
            > > but between shows I also post blogs on random rants that pertain to
            > the theme of the
            > > podcast.
            > >

            > > Does anyone else do this? What would be the pro's/Con's?
            > >
            > > simplyRik
            > > http://modernmanhood.surching4me.com

          • spuhn
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
              Here's how I have Should I Drink That
              http://www.shouldidrinkthat.com/

              Just about every blog entry is to announce the release of a show and
              it has all of the info you need on that episode. We usually release
              1-2 shows a month but with our different work schedules sometimes that
              can even be tough. It's worked for about 2 years for us and we havent
              heard anything negative about the format yet.

              cheers!
              spoon

              http://www.shouldidrinkthat.com
              Should I Drink That? beercast
              "Even if it's crap, we drink it so you don't have to!"

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Martin McKeay" <Martin@...> wrote:

              > I started with a standard blog and then started podcasting. I've always
              > mixed the show notes in with the blog posts. It's only recently, when I
              > took on a co-host that I separated the podcast show notes out to
              their own
              > blog. I still put a link to the show notes in the blog, but they have a
              > home of their own on another blog.
              >
              > Martin
            • Will Brown
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
                > On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:31 AM, simplyrik <simplyRik@...> wrote:
                >
                > Does anyone else do this? What would be the pro's/Con's?

                I just restarted mixing blogs with my posts again. The biggest
                advantage I've seen since I started blogging is the added
                "Google-juice" of blogging.
                Since I have a very niche podcast, very niche topics that I blog about
                are ranked very high. For example, if you search NaPoWriMo (National
                Poetry Writing Month) in Google I'm on the front page.
                Google "NaPoWriMo 2008" and I'm number 2.

                The key to successful blogging and podcasting on the same site is a
                good themed layout. A basic Kubrick Wordpress theme with a long stream
                of posts will cause anything past the second or third post to be lost
                at that initial above-the-fold view. Good navigation is needed.

                I still need to customize it further, but I've been using the
                "Revolution Magazine" Wordpress theme for my podcast:
                http://www.CloudyDayArt.com/

                I paid $79 for it, but it best suited what I wanted to do. None of the
                free themes I found quite did it. I'm not much of a coder yet, so this
                got me running quickly.
                You can see the other themes he designs here: http://www.RevolutionTheme.com/

                Will

                --
                ======================
                http://www.WillBrownOnline.com/ - All Things Me
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
                  So would you say that scale was the driver? Or the complexity being increased?
                • simplyrik
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
                    Nice. Thanks for sharing.
                  • simplyrik
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
                      I really like the theme you have selected. Very clean.
                    • Ratbag Radio
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
                        I aggregate the three podcasts I produce on three separate blog sites.
                        They create my feed and I focus the topics that way as these are
                        themed blogs and each caters to a specific niche.

                        But I also run another all in blog which I treat as a multimedia
                        aggregator channel.

                        There I post text comment and all the single episodes of the other
                        podcasts by importing them as standalone posts with episode flash
                        players and file links.

                        I also offer each of those separate podcasts as pop up Contact media
                        players and direct links to the video I share there. I also offer
                        other audio (by other producers either as reposts or via individual
                        Contact Media players) so the site as well as a blog functions as a
                        sort of online radio station.

                        I've also created a RSS feed for all the audio shared on this blog
                        site so people can subscribe to the lot if they want .

                        I think mixing your media on specific podcast feed can be very
                        confusing to your listeners and subscribers so I want to keep each
                        podcast channel separate and rarely will post other non audio media or
                        text.

                        At the top of my blog site -- my aggregator -- I also run a bar of
                        links to these other podcast channels.

                        I also harness my labels/tags with servicing in mind and much
                        appreciate the power and speed of the NEO Blogger template:
                        http://hackosphere.blogspot.com/2006/12/now-available-neo-template.html
                        which I think suits podcasting wonderfully as you can 'fit" a lot of
                        stuff on the one page through extemely fast java driven links wghile
                        still generating a serviceble feed.

                        So I'm trying to do a lot of things.

                        dave riley
                      • Erk Pod
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
                          What I find confusing is when people say "to subscribe, go to location X. To
                          read my blog, go to location Y. To buy from my new merchandise store, go to
                          location Z". I tell people to go to http://www.erkpod.com.au (and I
                          purchased http://www.erkpod.com because I have found for some people, they
                          were using .com and not .com.au) for everything and then they can do
                          whatever they want there.

                          Erk
                          Sydney, Australia
                          http://www.erkpod.com.au

                          On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Ratbag Radio <ratbagradio@...> wrote:

                          > I think mixing your media on specific podcast feed can be very
                          > confusing to your listeners and subscribers so I want to keep each
                          > podcast channel separate and rarely will post other non audio media or
                          > text.

                        • Rob Greenlee-WebTalkGuys
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 5, 2008
                            I wanted to share a link to our new Zune April Newsletter. The newsletter
                            does have a podcast section as you will see. http://tinyurl.com/6avk2r

                            Rob Greenlee