Re: [podcasters] I need some help/advice

  • kevingib@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 10, 2008
      You might get the book "Wordpress for Dummies."

      kg
      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 11, 2008
          On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Morrow <geekdimension@...> wrote:

          > I have my website set up. http://www.geekdimension.tv
          >
          > I picked out a WordPress theme that I like. I installed it and thats
          > where it gets hard to understand.
          >
          > I'm use to HTML where you can see where everything on the page is, and
          > what its doing. The "theme" is a different monster entirely.
          >
          > On the cover page of the website there is a place where it says "Add
          > your logo here". How? I have no clue as to how to add anything to the
          > theme.
          >
          > Its not like HTML, where you can see the whole of the code. Does
          > anyone know what should or can do?
          >
          > Help!!!!
          >
          > Is there a really good resource on WordPress for newbies?
          >

          > .

          I have no formal training in any of this stuff. I've learned everything I
          know about WordPress by "getting under the hood," and spending lots of time
          on the WordPress support forums:
          http://wordpress.org/support/

          --
          -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
          Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

          Shawnogram - Content = life.
          http://www.shawnogram.com/

          Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
          http://www.phantompower.org/

        • Ratbag Radio
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 12, 2008
            Personally, my view is that if you want to play with multimedia and
            podcasting you should stay away from the rigidity insisted upon by
            Wordpress and use Blogger.

            That's where da hacks are...

            If you are setting up a podcast:
            http://altmedianetwork.wikispaces.com/How+to+create+a+podcast

            Add to the wiki if you want to...

            dave riley
          • Shawn Thorpe
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 12, 2008
              On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Ratbag Radio <ratbagradio@...>
              wrote:

              > Personally, my view is that if you want to play with multimedia and
              > podcasting you should stay away from the rigidity insisted upon by
              > Wordpress and use Blogger.
              >
              > That's where da hacks are...
              >
              > If you are setting up a podcast:
              > http://altmedianetwork.wikispaces.com/How+to+create+a+podcast
              >
              > Add to the wiki if you want to...
              >
              > dave riley
              >

              > .

              Could you elaborate as to why you've described WordPress as "rigid?" It's
              quite customizable/hackable, and in conjunction with podPress, it's very
              easy to get a podcast going. Furthermore, it isn't necessary to use
              FeedBurner (which, as far as I know is the ONLY way you can podcast through
              Blogger), though it is easy to do so if desired.

              --
              -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
              Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California
              http://www.hypernonsense.com/

              Shawnogram - Content = life.
              http://www.shawnogram.com/

              Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
              http://www.phantompower.org/

            • Chuck Stanley
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 12, 2008
                Morrow, I am maybe one step ahead of you in this. I know HTML, but
                never was with it long enough to get into the CSS, which is what
                Wordpress is. I did buy WP for Dummies, but there's little on
                customizing the themes.
                Start exploring the different components, and eventually you'll notice
                what each part is responsible for. Then you can start with the easy
                stuff like changing the colors, which are usually in the 'style.css'
                file. Make one change at a time, and take a look at the results... if
                it didn't change what you wanted, go back in and change it back right
                away, then seek out the correct location. Otherwise you'll have a
                number of things to "fix" and you might not find them all quickly.
                Eventually, it'll become natural to find everything.
                I'm in the process of redesigning mine now, altering a theme I
                downloaded.

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Morrow" <geekdimension@...> wrote:

                > I have my website set up. http://www.geekdimension.tv
                >
                > I picked out a WordPress theme that I like. I installed it and thats
                > where it gets hard to understand.
                >
                > I'm use to HTML where you can see where everything on the page is, and
                > what its doing. The "theme" is a different monster entirely.
                >
                > On the cover page of the website there is a place where it says "Add
                > your logo here". How? I have no clue as to how to add anything to the
                > theme.
                >
                > Its not like HTML, where you can see the whole of the code. Does
                > anyone know what should or can do?
                >
                > Help!!!!
                >
                > Is there a really good resource on WordPress for newbies?

              • Paul Puri
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 12, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > Personally, my view is that if you want to play with multimedia and
                  > podcasting you should stay away from the rigidity insisted upon by
                  > Wordpress and use Blogger.
                  >
                  > That's where da hacks are...
                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                  There is nothing rigid about WP. My site, http://paulpuri.name/, took about
                  15 minutes to customize. Without any knowledge of programming. No HTML, no
                  CSS, nothing. I was able to use plugins to install rotating Amazon ads,
                  rotating headers, a tag cloud, and custom links based on certain keywords.

                  The next step will be to ad a plugin that allows simple integration of You
                  Tube videos, and of course, Podpress for podcasting. None of this requires
                  any major knowledge of web design, and no time consuming reading or haxors.
                  The only thing you have to know is how to use an FTP program to upload
                  themes. plugins, and jpg's.

                  --
                  Paul Puri

                  New media with an independent spirit:
                  http://puripodcastproductions.com

                  My gear recommendations:
                  http://podsafegear.com

                  Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
                  http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                  Promotion without shame.
                  Podcasting Announcements

                • Paul Puri
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 12, 2008
                    On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Morrow <geekdimension@...> wrote:

                    > On the cover page of the website there is a place where it says "Add
                    > your logo here". How? I have no clue as to how to add anything to the
                    > theme.
                    >
                    > Its not like HTML, where you can see the whole of the code. Does
                    > anyone know what should or can do?
                    >
                    > Help!!!! <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                    The add your logo here is just a header image. I usually just replace it
                    with a similar sized header picture. The properties of that picture are a
                    569 x 147 pixel file named header.png. If you can customize the template,
                    then you could stick in whatever you want. I don't have that knowledge, so I
                    just replace it with my own pic like I did with one of the rotating ones on
                    my site. After a few hours of Photoshop, I hope to replace all the stock
                    headers with my own.

                    --
                    Paul Puri

                    New media with an independent spirit:
                    http://puripodcastproductions.com

                    My gear recommendations:
                    http://podsafegear.com

                    Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
                    http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                    Promotion without shame.
                    Podcasting Announcements

                  • Erk Pod
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 12, 2008
                      I am using the freebie edition of WordPress so my site should look stock
                      standard. It doesn't.

                      I know from experience that WP is picky about how you use HTML and learnt
                      the solution thanks to this group. I also know (now!) that my version of WP
                      does not allow you to insert JavaScript. Therefore some widgets that I used
                      on Blogger, I could not use on WP.

                      You can use the text widgets to put graphics in as well as the header
                      graphic. I can embed You Tube videos easily in a post. And for podcasters
                      like we are, the audio code is cool as well. On the show notes for each
                      episode, I put a player for the episode so you can play the episode and I do
                      not need PodPress to do it. All I do is have the MP3 file on my host and
                      then put some code in and the player will come up. Be aware that the player
                      expands when played so after you put the code in, start a new line.

                      [audio theURLofyourmp3filegoeshere.mp3]

                      Show Notes go here.

                      --
                      Erk
                      Sydney, Australia

                      WEBSITES:
                      Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

                      Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

                      FEEDS
                      Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

                      Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

                      Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 13, 2008
                        Hate to burst your bubble, but there is only a free version. There may be
                        pay options for support and I know wordpress.com has some pay features, but
                        mostly it is all free.

                        --
                        Mike Wills

                        Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

                      • Brains Matter
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 13, 2008
                          I suspect he meant the pre-fab wordpress.com, as opposed to the set-up-
                          your-own variety.

                          --
                          Brains Matter Podcast
                          Melbourne, Australia

                          On 14/03/2008, at 12:15 AM, Mike wrote:

                          > Hate to burst your bubble, but there is only a free version. There
                          > may be
                          > pay options for support and I know wordpress.com has some pay
                          > features, but
                          > mostly it is all free.
                          >
                          > On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Erk Pod <erkpod@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I am using the freebie edition of WordPress so my site should look
                          > stock
                          > > standard. It doesn't.
                          > >

                          > --
                          > Mike Wills
                          >
                          > Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

                        • simplyrik
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 3 5:39 AM
                            Hey Morrow,

                            I can't seem to access your page. Taking a long time to come up. I also use WordPress to
                            manage my podcast. Maybe we can compare notes.

                            Rgds,
                            simplyRik
                            http://modernmanhood.surching4me.com
                            modernmanhood@...