Fat pipe

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8 10:22 AM
      Just got a new book deal (will tell details next week when I sign the
      contract, when it arrives....it's relevant to podcasters.)

      To celebrate, I just ordered a 100 Mbps fiber optic line. With cable
      TV. From the phone company. 100 bucks a month.
      Fve times faster than two DSL lines, at twice the price.
      yay!

      Also ordered a third computer, which I'm gonna use dedicated to
      uploading Torrents of zips of podcast episodes:
      LENOVO ThinkCentre A61E 641712U computer,
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108133
      also got 2 gigs of heat synched server RAM

      yay!

      Michael W. Dean
    • Steve Riekeberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8 11:57 AM
        ...show off? ;)

        I envy you... *sigh*

        Well, congratulations! (*cough* lucky bastard! *cough* ;D)

        Steve Riekeberg
        Host, Geek Cred
        <http://www.geekcred.net>

        Michael W. Dean wrote:

        > Just got a new book deal (will tell details next week when I sign the
        > contract, when it arrives....it's relevant to podcasters.)
        >
        > To celebrate, I just ordered a 100 Mbps fiber optic line. With cable
        > TV. From the phone company. 100 bucks a month.
        > Fve times faster than two DSL lines, at twice the price.
        > yay!
        >
        > Also ordered a third computer, which I'm gonna use dedicated to
        > uploading Torrents of zips of podcast episodes:
        > LENOVO ThinkCentre A61E 641712U computer,
        > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108133
        > <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108133>
        > also got 2 gigs of heat synched server RAM
        >
        > yay!
        >
        > Michael W. Dean

      • Michael W. Dean
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8 12:41 PM
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Steve Riekeberg
          <missingintellect@...> wrote:

          > ...show off? ;)
          >
          > I envy you... *sigh*

          I envy me too! I don't get it hooked up until Thursday. Until then I
          have to suffer with this damn DSL. How very last year.

          It's not available everywhere in the country yet. Should be in a year
          or two.

          I had DSL in early 1997. I lived in downtown San Fran, and within 1200
          feet of the phone company building. Mine was one of the first city
          blocks in the country that had it.

          When I crawled off of dial-up onto DSL I felt like my lifespan had
          been extended. I think Fiber Optic is going to feel like "Beam me up,
          Scotty" compared to DSL.

          I'll probably get rug burns from it.

          MWD
        • Chuck Stanley
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9 6:17 AM
            Congratulations on the deal... but color me green about the fiber
            line. Not available in my area yet, and probably not for at least
            another year. My Dad who's 60 has fiber... sometimes life kicks ya. lol
            -Chuck

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...>
            wrote:

            > Just got a new book deal (will tell details next week when I sign the
            > contract, when it arrives....it's relevant to podcasters.)
            >
            > To celebrate, I just ordered a 100 Mbps fiber optic line. With cable
            > TV. From the phone company. 100 bucks a month.
            > Fve times faster than two DSL lines, at twice the price.
            > yay!
            >
            > Also ordered a third computer, which I'm gonna use dedicated to
            > uploading Torrents of zips of podcast episodes:
            > LENOVO ThinkCentre A61E 641712U computer,
            > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108133
            > also got 2 gigs of heat synched server RAM
            >

            > yay!
            >
            > Michael W. Dean

          • Michael W. Dean
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 9 11:32 AM
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Stanley" <cstanleynj@...> wrote:

              > Congratulations on the deal... but color me green about the fiber
              > line. Not available in my area yet, and probably not for at least
              > another year. My Dad who's 60 has fiber... sometimes life kicks ya.
              lol
              > -Chuck

              It's called AT&T U-verse and it's available here:

              * California: Corona, Los Angeles/Orange County, Riverside,
              Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto, San Diego, San Francisco/Oakland, and San
              Jose/Santa Clara
              * Connecticut: Hartford, New Haven, New London, Stamford
              * Illinois: Chicago
              * Indiana: Anderson, Bloomington, Indianapolis, Kokomo, Muncie
              * Kansas:Kansas City
              * Michigan: Detroit
              * Mississippi: Jackson
              * Missouri: Kansas City, St. Louis
              * Ohio: Akron, Cleveland, Columbus
              * Oklahoma: Oklahoma City
              * Texas: Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Round Rock, San Antonio
              * Wisconsin: Milwaukee, Racine, West Bend
            • Paul Puri
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 9 5:46 PM
                On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...>
                wrote:

                > * California: Corona, Los Angeles/Orange County, Riverside,
                > Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto, San Diego, San Francisco/Oakland, and San
                > Jose/Santa Clara
                >
                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                I live in between Oakland and San Jose, and I still can't get in. But I did
                sign up for a notice when it is available.

                I feel the need. The need, for higher bandwidth.

                Congrats on the deal Michael. Sniff, they grow up so fast, sniff.

                --
                Paul Puri

                New media with an independent spirit:
                http://puripodcastproductions.com

                My gear recommendations:
                http://podsafegear.com

                Got some thing to say? Just be a Twitter.
                http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                Promotion without shame.
                Podcasting Announcements