Producers, how do you count your stats?

  • Chuck Stanley
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
      I'm asking this question to any podcast producers out there.

      In the past seven months I've been doing this podcast, I've put the
      emphasis on the "Unique IP downloads" and not so much the "Total
      Downloads". My thinking is that's the true audience because you can't
      artificially inflate the numbers.

      So, what do you report to potential advertisers, etc? What counts to
      you? Total subscribers, total downloads or unique IP downloads?

      Thanks,
      Chuck

      EaglesFanCast http://www.EaglesFanCast.net
    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
        > In the past seven months I've been doing this podcast, I've put the
        > emphasis on the "Unique IP downloads" and not so much the "Total
        > Downloads". My thinking is that's the true audience because you can't
        > artificially inflate the numbers.
        (snip)
        I'm no expert .. but I would think you could "deflate" the numbers ... so
        it is not likely a true "listener number"

        By that I mean that there are more folks out there with shared IP addresses
        than there are with static addresses. So, while you may have multiple
        downloads from one particular address .. it is possible (as I understand it)
        that those downloads went to totally different foks.

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • George L Smyth
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
          --- Chuck Stanley <cstanleynj@...> wrote:

          > I'm asking this question to any podcast producers out there.
          >
          > In the past seven months I've been doing this podcast, I've put the
          > emphasis on the "Unique IP downloads" and not so much the "Total
          > Downloads". My thinking is that's the true audience because you can't
          > artificially inflate the numbers.
          >
          > So, what do you report to potential advertisers, etc? What counts to
          > you? Total subscribers, total downloads or unique IP downloads?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Chuck

          Chuck -

          Total Downloads will be the most impressive and (probably) least properly
          informative number. This is because shows that are partially downloaded then
          re-downloaded are included. This means that the more problems the server has
          delivering the content, the more impressive your numbers.

          There are two things that I use to check my stats.

          The first is a program I wrote that looks through your raw Libsyn stats. It's
          located at http://oneminutehowto.com/libsynstats.asp After downloading your
          Libsyn stats, drop the raw data into the form and submit the query. The
          program will go through the stats, remove duplicated downloads, and give you
          the download stats of unique IP Addresses for each show. It was through this
          program that I initially came to realize the importance of leaving as many
          shows on your feed as possible, if your show is not timely (if you do a news
          show then the show is timely, which means that people probably couldn't case
          about your old shows).

          The other program I wrote can be found at
          http://oneminutehowto.com/feedburnerstats.asp - this only works if you use
          Feedburner AND have your Awareness turned on. If so then this program will
          provide a bar graph where each bar is the average downloads through Feedburner
          over the previous 10 days (the number of days is configurable). This is very
          useful in light of the jagged Feedburner numbers you normally would see.

          These programs are free for anyone to use, so help yourself.

          Cheers -

          george

          -------------------------------------

          Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com

          Handmade Photographic Images: http://www.GLSmyth.com - Blog: GLSmyth.Wordpress.com
        • Michael W. Dean
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
            In gigabytes.

            Had 450 gigs downloaded last month via RSS, which is not counting the
            BitTorrent traffic of the 1-gig archive zips, and doesn't count the
            Podiobooks on Podiobooks.com

            MWD
          • David Smith
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
              It was 7 Mar 2008, when Chuck Stanley commented:

              > I'm asking this question to any podcast producers out there.
              >
              > In the past seven months I've been doing this podcast, I've put the
              > emphasis on the "Unique IP downloads" and not so much the "Total
              > Downloads". My thinking is that's the true audience because you can't
              > artificially inflate the numbers.
              >
              > So, what do you report to potential advertisers, etc? What counts to
              > you? Total subscribers, total downloads or unique IP downloads?

              Well, that depends. For my own feel for the health of the show, I look at
              what Feedburner tells me about subscribers. (I've had a Best Ever week
              there, btw, but still small.) For individual shows, I agree unique IPs is
              a more trustworthy-feeling measure than total downloads.

              But I've seen some vast anomalies in the unique IP figures, and I dunno
              why. I have one show with 300-some unique IP downloads, 400-some total
              downloads; a couple other shows are around 200. And I have 35 subscribers
              per Feedburner, 16 per Libsyn. Who are all these other downloaders, why
              this one show, and where did they all go? I don't know which numbers to
              trust, if any of them.

              So if I had any advertisers who might care, I'd include several of the
              different figures -- especially the largest numbers. ;-)

              --
              Grizzly's Growls
              Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                It was 7 Mar 2008, when Richard Amirault commented:

                Hmmm, good point, hadn't thought about that. What if your show is really
                popular with visitors to Starbucks, or other WiFi hotspots, and dozens or
                hundreds drop by the local shop to download the latest episode?
                Conventioneers at major hotels? Same IPs, different people, and lots of
                'em!

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                  Hmmm, good point, hadn't thought about that. What if your show is really
                  popular with visitors to Starbucks, or other WiFi hotspots, and dozens or
                  hundreds drop by the local shop to download the latest episode?
                  Conventioneers at major hotels? Same IPs, different people, and lots of
                  'em!

                  Good point, David. And conversely, all dial-up and some DSL assigns a
                  new I.P. number every time you go online, so you could have 1 person
                  showing up as 100 I.P. addresses.

                  (I have a unique I.P. address, but sometimes when I turn on my
                  computer, I find that my wireless has connected to my next door
                  neighbor. I usually catch it, but I'm sure at some point I probably
                  downloaded someone's podcast on his I.P. address.)

                  I really think raw gigabytes is the best measure. If you wanna take it
                  further and figure out approx. users, divide number of megabytes
                  downloaded per month by average size of your episodes, divided by the
                  number of episodes per month.

                  But I rarely take it that far. It's tons of gigs, and that totally
                  fulfills my motto of "Whoever dies with his art on the most hard
                  drives, wins". (Though I'm not really very much in competition with
                  artists. More in competition with myself, to outdo last month's
                  totals, but more importantly, to have the episodes have better and
                  better sound quality and content every time.

                  And I'm doing that, so ****I WIN!!!!!****** Yay me!

                  Michael W. Dean
                • David Smith
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                    It was 7 Mar 2008, when George L Smyth commented:

                    > --- Chuck Stanley <cstanleynj@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I'm asking this question to any podcast producers out there.
                    > >
                    > > In the past seven months I've been doing this podcast, I've put the
                    > > emphasis on the "Unique IP downloads" and not so much the "Total
                    > > Downloads". My thinking is that's the true audience because you can't
                    > > artificially inflate the numbers.
                    > >
                    > > So, what do you report to potential advertisers, etc? What counts to
                    > > you? Total subscribers, total downloads or unique IP downloads?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Chuck
                    >
                    > Chuck -
                    >
                    > Total Downloads will be the most impressive and (probably) least properly
                    > informative number. This is because shows that are partially downloaded
                    > then re-downloaded are included. This means that the more problems the
                    > server has delivering the content, the more impressive your numbers.
                    >
                    > There are two things that I use to check my stats.
                    >
                    > The first is a program I wrote that looks through your raw Libsyn stats.
                    > It's located at http://oneminutehowto.com/libsynstats.asp After
                    > downloading your Libsyn stats, drop the raw data into the form and submit
                    > the query. The program will go through the stats, remove duplicated
                    > downloads, and give you the download stats of unique IP Addresses for each
                    > show. It was through this program that I initially came to realize the
                    > importance of leaving as many shows on your feed as possible, if your show
                    > is not timely (if you do a news show then the show is timely, which means
                    > that people probably couldn't case about your old shows).

                    Looking back, it appears I told Libsyn to only save the .XML version of
                    the logs, which apparently wouldn't work?

                    > The other program I wrote can be found at
                    > http://oneminutehowto.com/feedburnerstats.asp - this only works if you use
                    > Feedburner AND have your Awareness turned on. If so then this program will
                    > provide a bar graph where each bar is the average downloads through
                    > Feedburner over the previous 10 days (the number of days is configurable).
                    > This is very useful in light of the jagged Feedburner numbers you normally
                    > would see.
                    >
                    > These programs are free for anyone to use, so help yourself.

                    I like the latter, and use it often. Would be nice to have a Widget of
                    some sort to show the graph on my blogpage(s). Alas, I don't even know
                    enough HTML to add a link to my graph to my Libsyn page, so folks can go
                    look at it on your site.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                      It was 8 Mar 2008, when Michael W. Dean commented:

                      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > Hmmm, good point, hadn't thought about that. What if your show is really
                      > popular with visitors to Starbucks, or other WiFi hotspots, and dozens or
                      > hundreds drop by the local shop to download the latest episode?
                      > Conventioneers at major hotels? Same IPs, different people, and lots of
                      > 'em!
                      >
                      > Good point, David. And conversely, all dial-up and some DSL assigns a
                      > new I.P. number every time you go online, so you could have 1 person
                      > showing up as 100 I.P. addresses.

                      Almost works. But, one person showing up as 100 different IPs,
                      downloading the same episode? Still have that multiple-connection-
                      downloading thing people have brought up, though.

                      > I really think raw gigabytes is the best measure. If you wanna take it
                      > further and figure out approx. users, divide number of megabytes downloaded
                      > per month by average size of your episodes, divided by the number of
                      > episodes per month.

                      Don't think any of my available stats-grabbers have Gigs as a stat, but I
                      didn't look for it. I've got enough Numbers to satisfy me, more or less.
                      What numbers to tell advertisers, well, I dunno, but it hasn't mattered so
                      far. None of my numbers has enough digits to impress an advertiser.

                      > But I rarely take it that far. It's tons of gigs, and that totally
                      > fulfills my motto of "Whoever dies with his art on the most hard
                      > drives, wins". (Though I'm not really very much in competition with
                      > artists. More in competition with myself, to outdo last month's
                      > totals, but more importantly, to have the episodes have better and
                      > better sound quality and content every time.
                      >
                      > And I'm doing that, so ****I WIN!!!!!****** Yay me!

                      I don't know how much or how many is enough. I just want more. ;-)

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                        --- David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                        > It was 7 Mar 2008, when George L Smyth commented:
                        [clip]
                        > > The first is a program I wrote that looks through your raw Libsyn stats.
                        > > It's located at http://oneminutehowto.com/libsynstats.asp After
                        > > downloading your Libsyn stats, drop the raw data into the form and submit
                        > > the query. The program will go through the stats, remove duplicated
                        > > downloads, and give you the download stats of unique IP Addresses for each
                        > > show. It was through this program that I initially came to realize the
                        > > importance of leaving as many shows on your feed as possible, if your show
                        > > is not timely (if you do a news show then the show is timely, which means
                        > > that people probably couldn't case about your old shows).
                        >
                        > Looking back, it appears I told Libsyn to only save the .XML version of
                        > the logs, which apparently wouldn't work?

                        That is correct, it is looking for a CSV format.

                        > > The other program I wrote can be found at
                        > > http://oneminutehowto.com/feedburnerstats.asp - this only works if you use
                        > > Feedburner AND have your Awareness turned on. If so then this program will
                        > > provide a bar graph where each bar is the average downloads through
                        > > Feedburner over the previous 10 days (the number of days is configurable).
                        > > This is very useful in light of the jagged Feedburner numbers you normally
                        > > would see.
                        > >
                        > > These programs are free for anyone to use, so help yourself.
                        >
                        > I like the latter, and use it often. Would be nice to have a Widget of
                        > some sort to show the graph on my blogpage(s). Alas, I don't even know
                        > enough HTML to add a link to my graph to my Libsyn page, so folks can go
                        > look at it on your site.

                        Just copy the address from the address bar once your information is displayed.
                        That way you can go directly to it without having to enter information into the
                        form.

                        Cheers -

                        george

                        -------------------------------------

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                          It was 7 Mar 2008, when George L Smyth commented:

                          > --- David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > It was 7 Mar 2008, when George L Smyth commented:
                          > [clip]
                          > > > The first is a program I wrote that looks through your raw Libsyn
                          > > > stats. It's located at http://oneminutehowto.com/libsynstats.asp After
                          > > > downloading your Libsyn stats, drop the raw data into the form and
                          > > > submit the query. The program will go through the stats, remove
                          > > > duplicated downloads, and give you the download stats of unique IP
                          > > > Addresses for each show. It was through this program that I initially
                          > > > came to realize the importance of leaving as many shows on your feed as
                          > > > possible, if your show is not timely (if you do a news show then the
                          > > > show is timely, which means that people probably couldn't case about
                          > > > your old shows).
                          > >
                          > > Looking back, it appears I told Libsyn to only save the .XML version of
                          > > the logs, which apparently wouldn't work?
                          >
                          > That is correct, it is looking for a CSV format.

                          Oh, it expects the CSV thingie? That I have, actually. The form just
                          said any of the log files, as long it's not the old .XML files. Thought
                          the CSV thing was different...

                          > > > The other program I wrote can be found at
                          > > > http://oneminutehowto.com/feedburnerstats.asp - this only works if you
                          > > > use Feedburner AND have your Awareness turned on. If so then this
                          > > > program will provide a bar graph where each bar is the average
                          > > > downloads through Feedburner over the previous 10 days (the number of
                          > > > days is configurable). This is very useful in light of the jagged
                          > > > Feedburner numbers you normally would see.
                          > > >
                          > > > These programs are free for anyone to use, so help yourself.
                          > >
                          > > I like the latter, and use it often. Would be nice to have a Widget of
                          > > some sort to show the graph on my blogpage(s). Alas, I don't even know
                          > > enough HTML to add a link to my graph to my Libsyn page, so folks can go
                          > > look at it on your site.
                          >
                          > Just copy the address from the address bar once your information is
                          > displayed. That way you can go directly to it without having to enter
                          > information into the form.

                          Oh, I know how to do -that-. Was trying to create a FeedFlare that'd link
                          to my graph. Don't know that my readers would care, but thought it'd be
                          fun to add. Couldn't figure out how to make it work, and I'd created
                          three or four other Feedflares, for admittedly simple stuff. Couldn't
                          figure out how to add a clickable link on my website that linked to my
                          show's graph, either. No Habla HTML.

                          Not critical, but it'd be fun.

                          --
                          Grizzly's Growls
                          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                        • Todd Cochrane
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                            We have a very large number of people using our stats system at RawVoice
                            and we do in depth looks at multiple downloads coming from the same IP.
                            I will say this without reservation to date we have only white listed a
                            handful of IP's simply because the same IP downloading a file multiple
                            times does not exist. We look at millions of downloads a month and the
                            data is not there to support this assertion.

                            Michael W. Dean wrote:

                            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, "David Smith" <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > Hmmm, good point, hadn't thought about that. What if your show is really
                            > popular with visitors to Starbucks, or other WiFi hotspots, and dozens or
                            > hundreds drop by the local shop to download the latest episode?
                            > Conventioneers at major hotels? Same IPs, different people, and lots of
                            > 'em!

                          • David Smith
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                              Hmmm. Well. Since I don't gather my own stats, I have to depend on what
                              I'm given, by Feedburner or by Libsyn. Libsyn says a whole slew of people
                              from non "Unique IPs" downloaded that one show. Why, I dunno. If it
                              didn't happen, why they'd say it did, I dunno. But it does say that. Go
                              figure. Like the Fella Said, FSVO impossible... And of course, Libsyn's
                              stats are beyond reproach, right?

                              Feedburner doesn't tell me much of anything about Unique IPs or not.

                              So it absolutely never happens, ever, huh? Funny. Must be the New Math.

                              BTW, I finally figured out why so many folks ended up downloading that
                              one, "Episode Three -- The Lost Episode." I think they either thought it
                              was an episode of "Lost," or had something to do with "The Lost Episode"
                              of Seinfeld. (It's neither, of course.)

                              And to think I thought it had to do with quality. Didn't sound that
                              impressive to -me-, but hey, no accounting for tastes.

                              Speaking of numbers, I have three different sites to look to for stats on
                              the show. Seems like that old saying is correct: the man who has a watch
                              knows what time it is; the man with two watches, is never sure.

                              It was 7 Mar 2008, when Todd Cochrane commented:

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 8, 2008
                                Maybe you misunderstood me. The chances of a single IP downloading a
                                single show more than a couple of times is highly rare. But I think we
                                have all experienced a single show having a high number of downloads.
                                One of my shows that was linked to by the NYT had huge numbers but that
                                would be expected and sometimes people create show notes that get them
                                to the top of the results page on Google which really drive numbers. I
                                guess the main thing we all want is a show that continues to pick up new
                                listeners and it should not matter how we get em as long as we do.

                                Some of the things the ADM has been working on in regards to podcast
                                stats we hope will help with some standards that no matter who you use
                                for stats result in reliable data for both you and media buyers.

                                Todd

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 9, 2008
                                  Obviously my question has determined one thing... that both producers
                                  and advertisers really don't have definite ways of determining
                                  audience. Can't say this is a good thing, especially since
                                  advertisers are still trying to get a clue as to what's going on in
                                  this space. Everyone's trying to figure out a more accurate way of
                                  representing listeners' size. I've seen posts elsewhere that some
                                  people say the numbers that they have from their host (such as
                                  Libsyn), RawVoice and Feedburner all differ from each other.
                                  I'm going to have to look into what the ADM is doing. :)
                                  -Chuck

                                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Todd Cochrane <ceo@...> wrote:

                                  > Maybe you misunderstood me. The chances of a single IP downloading a
                                  > single show more than a couple of times is highly rare. But I think we
                                  > have all experienced a single show having a high number of downloads.
                                  > One of my shows that was linked to by the NYT had huge numbers but that
                                  > would be expected and sometimes people create show notes that get them
                                  > to the top of the results page on Google which really drive numbers. I
                                  > guess the main thing we all want is a show that continues to pick up
                                  new
                                  > listeners and it should not matter how we get em as long as we do.
                                  >
                                  > Some of the things the ADM has been working on in regards to podcast
                                  > stats we hope will help with some standards that no matter who you use
                                  > for stats result in reliable data for both you and media buyers.
                                  >
                                  > Todd

                                • Chuck Stanley
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 9, 2008
                                    That's one of my concerns about it. In the Libsyn forums, people have
                                    asked them in the past why some episodes have twice the number of
                                    "Total Downloads" than "Unique IP" downloads. The answer comes from
                                    there might have been server issues during that time where a show is
                                    served up multiple times to the same user, but only successfully
                                    downloaded once. It's usually transparent to us and our podcatcher
                                    software, and that user listens to it once.
                                    So to that end, I've stressed the Unique IP aspect of my personal
                                    reporting. Trouble is, now that Libsyn is launching their new stats
                                    overhaul on Monday, Unique IP's will no longer be reported.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 9, 2008
                                      Chuck

                                      This is one of the reasons the RawVoice stats which are available as a
                                      paid service or free to those on Blubrry, TechPodcasts and PodcasterNews
                                      record the number of Unique IP's and display that next to total
                                      downloads. The total downloads has a filter on it that stops counting
                                      after a pre-determined number. But we do investigate IP's that come in
                                      and download a single show more than 5 times to make sure that it is not
                                      a corporate proxy or something similar and have a very short list of
                                      IP's that are allowed to have more than our preset maximum numbers of
                                      downloads from a single IP.

                                      Since I have been collecting statistics data since 2005 there is a ratio
                                      between unique IP's and total downloads that hold pretty true across
                                      shows. We look for data that exceeds that ratio and really dig into the
                                      raw data to see why but overall Unique IP's will give you a pretty good
                                      idea what the maximum size of your audience is. Couple that with looking
                                      at the trending to see how many of those Unique IP's come back again and
                                      again and I think you will get a pretty good idea what your active
                                      audience is and what your churn rate is.

                                      Todd...

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 10, 2008
                                        I also preferred the graph of downloads (or whatever) by show, not by
                                        day/week/month. They kept the show numbers, but no graph. <sigh>

                                        It was 9 Mar 2008, when Chuck Stanley commented:

                                        > That's one of my concerns about it. In the Libsyn forums, people have
                                        > asked them in the past why some episodes have twice the number of "Total
                                        > Downloads" than "Unique IP" downloads. The answer comes from there might
                                        > have been server issues during that time where a show is served up multiple
                                        > times to the same user, but only successfully downloaded once. It's
                                        > usually transparent to us and our podcatcher software, and that user
                                        > listens to it once. So to that end, I've stressed the Unique IP aspect of
                                        > my personal reporting. Trouble is, now that Libsyn is launching their new
                                        > stats overhaul on Monday, Unique IP's will no longer be reported.
                                        >

                                        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David Smith" <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Hmmm. Well. Since I don't gather my own stats, I have to depend on
                                        > what
                                        > > I'm given, by Feedburner or by Libsyn. Libsyn says a whole slew of
                                        > people
                                        > > from non "Unique IPs" downloaded that one show. Why, I dunno. If it
                                        > > didn't happen, why they'd say it did, I dunno. But it does say
                                        > that. Go
                                        > > figure. Like the Fella Said, FSVO impossible... And of course,
                                        > Libsyn's
                                        > > stats are beyond reproach, right?
                                        > >
                                        > > Feedburner doesn't tell me much of anything about Unique IPs or not.
                                        > >
                                        > > So it absolutely never happens, ever, huh? Funny. Must be the New
                                        > Math.
                                        > >
                                        > > BTW, I finally figured out why so many folks ended up downloading that
                                        > > one, "Episode Three -- The Lost Episode." I think they either
                                        > thought it
                                        > > was an episode of "Lost," or had something to do with "The Lost
                                        > Episode"
                                        > > of Seinfeld. (It's neither, of course.)
                                        > >
                                        > > And to think I thought it had to do with quality. Didn't sound that
                                        > > impressive to -me-, but hey, no accounting for tastes.
                                        > >
                                        > > Speaking of numbers, I have three different sites to look to for
                                        > stats on
                                        > > the show. Seems like that old saying is correct: the man who has a
                                        > watch
                                        > > knows what time it is; the man with two watches, is never sure.
                                        --
                                        Grizzly's Growls
                                        Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                      • simplyrik
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
                                          I am only tracking my site states with some powerful tools over at
                                          www.google.com/analytics

                                          I'm sure there is a way to configure it for something like this, just haven't looked into it.

                                          simplyRik
                                          http://modernmanhood.surching4me.com
                                          modernmanhood@...

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
                                            On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:41 AM, simplyrik <simplyRik@...> wrote:
                                            > I am only tracking my site states with some powerful tools over at
                                            > www.google.com/analytics
                                            >
                                            > I'm sure there is a way to configure it for something like this, just haven't looked into it.

                                            Google Analytics does a great job of reporting traffic patterns to
                                            your Web site. Not MP3 downloads. It can't track media downloads,
                                            because it relies on Javascript code embedded in your pages and run by
                                            the visitor's browser. You can't put that in an MP3 file.

                                            They're different stats, and you need different tools for that.

                                            http://www.escapepod.org