Re: [podcasters] Sound effects and music for live casts

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
      Yes, Mac and PC. http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/soundbyte.html

      On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Matthew K <matt_hew@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and
      > sound
      > > effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could
      > attach
      > > the files to, but it's not nessicary.
      > >

      > I use a program called Soundbyte. Works great, has hotkeys. I use it
      > with
      > a Mac. Not sure if there's a Windows version.
      >
      > --
      > -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
      > Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California
      > http://www.hypernonsense.com/
      >
      > Shawnogram - Content = life.
      > http://www.shawnogram.com/
      >
      > Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
      > http://www.phantompower.org/

      Mike Wills

      Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

    • David Smith
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
        Related topic, recommendations for USB mixers? I'd prefer to have one --
        though with the Zoom H2, I can at least record multiple voices in the same
        physical area. Ideally, one not too much bigger than the Zoom, say, Trade
        Paperback sized, would be most convenient to carry around.

        I'd prefer to mix in music and such on-the-fly, rather than piecing
        everything together in Audacity later. I suspect this counts as on-topic
        for the thread, but I might be wrong here.

        It was 3 Mar 2008, when Mike commented:

        > He is probably better off with a USB mixer and some low-end mics. You can
        > control the mics separately and only bring in one mix.
        >
        > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Louis Antonucci <l_silvio@...> wrote:
        >
        > > It might depends on the USB driver and the speed of the bus. Remember
        > > that only one USB device at a time works the system switches between
        > > between the
        > > devices. The question that I have what software/driver is being used to
        > > mix
        > > the three usb mic inputs on the system. and is the software designed to
        > > handle more than one USB input?

        > Mike Wills
        >
        > Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

        Grizzly's Growls
        Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
      • Erk Pod
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
          Soundbyte looks great and I'm glad it isn't Mac only!

          I use a program called Ready DJ, when I remember to push the buttons!
          Sometimes I'll use it for my opening and closing tunes only. The trial
          version is useless (you can't save) and the registered version is $24.95 US.
          It uses a similar hot key principle to Soundbyte but the layout mirrors that
          of the keyboard (1-0, A-Z). The only issue that I have is that the writing
          on the keys is VERY small and that the program uses the name of the file. So
          to get around that, I have a separate folder with a short name for each file
          in caps so I can see it. Soundbyte looks heaps better in that regard and
          their trial version actually appears functional. I'll give it a go myself!

          --
          Erk
          Sydney, Australia

          WEBSITES:
          Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

          Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

          FEEDS
          Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

          Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

          Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

        • Martin McKeay
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            It depends on how much you want the mixer to do. On the lower, smaller end
            is the M-Audio MobilePre USB which will handle 2 XLR or 1/4" inputs and pipe
            them to your computer. It supplies phantom power if you need it, and for
            traveling, it's great. It works with either Windows or Mac and provides
            pretty decent sound. However, it doesn't have anything other than a level
            setting, so you won't be able to boost your bass or treble on the MobilePre,
            you'll have to do any of that post-production. Same with adding in the
            music.

            I have a Zoom H4 and while it's a good recorder, I've had trouble using it
            several times. It's wanted me to reboot my laptop again and again until it
            gets just the setup it wants. I've never been able to figure out why and
            stopped using it with my laptop. I still use the H4 for extremely mobile
            recording, but I don't do much of that in the first place. I used the
            MobilePre to help me create a mix minus setup for Skype along with a Yamaha
            MW-10 mixer, at least until I spilled coffee in the mixer. I'm looking to
            replace the Yamaha with a Phonic Helix 12 firewire mixer and making the
            MobilePre part of my regular luggage for mobile recording.

            Martin

            PS, the MobilePre USB meets with your size requirements, being only slightly
            bigger in all dimensions than a paperback book.

            Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
            Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
            and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
            Email: martin@...
            YIM: mmckeay@...
            TwitterID: mckeay
            (W) 707-495-7926

            On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:40 PM, David Smith <dbsmith@...>
            wrote:

            > Related topic, recommendations for USB mixers? I'd prefer to have one --
            > though with the Zoom H2, I can at least record multiple voices in the same
            > physical area. Ideally, one not too much bigger than the Zoom, say, Trade
            > Paperback sized, would be most convenient to carry around.
            >
            > I'd prefer to mix in music and such on-the-fly, rather than piecing
            > everything together in Audacity later. I suspect this counts as on-topic
            > for the thread, but I might be wrong here.
            >
            > It was 3 Mar 2008, when Mike commented:
            >
            > > He is probably better off with a USB mixer and some low-end mics. You
            > can
            > > control the mics separately and only bring in one mix.
            > >
            > > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Louis Antonucci <l_silvio@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > > It might depends on the USB driver and the speed of the bus. Remember
            > > > that only one USB device at a time works the system switches between
            > > > between the
            > > > devices. The question that I have what software/driver is being used
            > > > mix
            > > > the three usb mic inputs on the system. and is the software designed
            > > > handle more than one USB input?

            > > > -
            > > >
            > > > YahooGroups Podcasters Links

            > > Mike Wills
            > >
            > > Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

            > Grizzly's Growls
            > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity
            > Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
            > Blog: <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>

          • Jason Tucker
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
              The trial is functional until you wait too long and the pop up nag comes up
              asking you to press OK.

              On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Erk Pod <erkpod@...> wrote:

              > Soundbyte looks great and I'm glad it isn't Mac only!
              >
              > I use a program called Ready DJ, when I remember to push the buttons!
              > Sometimes I'll use it for my opening and closing tunes only. The trial
              > version is useless (you can't save) and the registered version is $24.95
              > US.
              > It uses a similar hot key principle to Soundbyte but the layout mirrors
              > that
              > of the keyboard (1-0, A-Z). The only issue that I have is that the writing
              > on the keys is VERY small and that the program uses the name of the file.
              > So
              > to get around that, I have a separate folder with a short name for each
              > file
              > in caps so I can see it. Soundbyte looks heaps better in that regard and
              > their trial version actually appears functional. I'll give it a go myself!
              >
              > --
              > Erk
              > Sydney, Australia
              >
              > WEBSITES:
              > Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au
              >
              > Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com
              >
              > FEEDS
              > Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml
              >
              > Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml
              >
              > Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

              Jason Tucker

              Host of the following podcasts:
              http://www.TuckerTales.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/ysncf9
              http://www.GeekFit.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/yj48uq
              http://www.EverythingTech.tv itunes: http://tinyurl.com/ypx6db
              http://www.BarNutsPodcast.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/yvvkqb

            • Erk Pod
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                I have had a play with it this morning. Jason is right, you'll get a pop up
                message after a while urging you to buy the product. I went and purchased
                the software.

                I like it. You can colour code your carts, change the size of them and have
                the cart as a green colour when it is being played and then flash red
                towards the end of the file. I like that better than the program I was using
                that I mentioned in an earlier post, Ready DJ.

                Soundbyte FTW!

                Erk
                Erk Pod
                http://www.erkpod.com.au

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 4, 2008
                  It defiantly looks like what I am looking for. I am going to try it this out
                  since Castblaster no longer is recording for me. I need to rebuild the PC,
                  but really don't want to.