Re: [podcasters] Sound effects and music for live casts

  • Steve Riekeberg
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
      I believe you're looking for some sort of cart software.

      Steve Riekeberg
      Host, Geek Cred
      <http://www.geekcred.net>

      Richard Amirault wrote:

> [...]

    • Shawn Thorpe
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
        On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Matthew K <matt_hew@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and sound
        > effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could attach
        > the files to, but it's not nessicary.

        I use a program called Soundbyte. Works great, has hotkeys. I use it with
        a Mac. Not sure if there's a Windows version.

        --
        -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
        Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

        Shawnogram - Content = life.
        http://www.shawnogram.com/

        Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
        http://www.phantompower.org/

      • Matthew K
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
          Sorry. Guess you need more info. I run Windows Vista and the sound effects could be in either mp3 or wav. I can convert if need be.

          Matt

          > Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and sound
          > effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could
          > attach the files to, but it's not nessicary.

          Ok .. but "sound effects" is not a file format. What format would these
          "sound effects" be in?

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org
          http://bostonfandom.org

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            Yes, Mac and PC. http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/soundbyte.html

            On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

            > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Matthew K <matt_hew@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and
            > sound
            > > effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could
            > attach
            > > the files to, but it's not nessicary.
            > >

            > I use a program called Soundbyte. Works great, has hotkeys. I use it
            > with
            > a Mac. Not sure if there's a Windows version.
            >
            > --
            > -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
            > Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California
            > http://www.hypernonsense.com/
            >
            > Shawnogram - Content = life.
            > http://www.shawnogram.com/
            >
            > Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
            > http://www.phantompower.org/

            Mike Wills

            Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

          • David Smith
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
              Related topic, recommendations for USB mixers? I'd prefer to have one --
              though with the Zoom H2, I can at least record multiple voices in the same
              physical area. Ideally, one not too much bigger than the Zoom, say, Trade
              Paperback sized, would be most convenient to carry around.

              I'd prefer to mix in music and such on-the-fly, rather than piecing
              everything together in Audacity later. I suspect this counts as on-topic
              for the thread, but I might be wrong here.

              It was 3 Mar 2008, when Mike commented:

              > He is probably better off with a USB mixer and some low-end mics. You can
              > control the mics separately and only bring in one mix.
              >
              > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Louis Antonucci <l_silvio@...> wrote:
              >
              > > It might depends on the USB driver and the speed of the bus. Remember
              > > that only one USB device at a time works the system switches between
              > > between the
              > > devices. The question that I have what software/driver is being used to
              > > mix
              > > the three usb mic inputs on the system. and is the software designed to
              > > handle more than one USB input?

              > Mike Wills
              >
              > Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

              Grizzly's Growls
              Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
            • Erk Pod
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                Soundbyte looks great and I'm glad it isn't Mac only!

                I use a program called Ready DJ, when I remember to push the buttons!
                Sometimes I'll use it for my opening and closing tunes only. The trial
                version is useless (you can't save) and the registered version is $24.95 US.
                It uses a similar hot key principle to Soundbyte but the layout mirrors that
                of the keyboard (1-0, A-Z). The only issue that I have is that the writing
                on the keys is VERY small and that the program uses the name of the file. So
                to get around that, I have a separate folder with a short name for each file
                in caps so I can see it. Soundbyte looks heaps better in that regard and
                their trial version actually appears functional. I'll give it a go myself!

                --
                Erk
                Sydney, Australia

                WEBSITES:
                Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

                Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

                FEEDS
                Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

                Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

                Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

              • Martin McKeay
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                  It depends on how much you want the mixer to do. On the lower, smaller end
                  is the M-Audio MobilePre USB which will handle 2 XLR or 1/4" inputs and pipe
                  them to your computer. It supplies phantom power if you need it, and for
                  traveling, it's great. It works with either Windows or Mac and provides
                  pretty decent sound. However, it doesn't have anything other than a level
                  setting, so you won't be able to boost your bass or treble on the MobilePre,
                  you'll have to do any of that post-production. Same with adding in the
                  music.

                  I have a Zoom H4 and while it's a good recorder, I've had trouble using it
                  several times. It's wanted me to reboot my laptop again and again until it
                  gets just the setup it wants. I've never been able to figure out why and
                  stopped using it with my laptop. I still use the H4 for extremely mobile
                  recording, but I don't do much of that in the first place. I used the
                  MobilePre to help me create a mix minus setup for Skype along with a Yamaha
                  MW-10 mixer, at least until I spilled coffee in the mixer. I'm looking to
                  replace the Yamaha with a Phonic Helix 12 firewire mixer and making the
                  MobilePre part of my regular luggage for mobile recording.

                  Martin

                  PS, the MobilePre USB meets with your size requirements, being only slightly
                  bigger in all dimensions than a paperback book.

                  Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
                  Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
                  and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
                  Email: martin@...
                  YIM: mmckeay@...
                  TwitterID: mckeay
                  (W) 707-495-7926

                  On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:40 PM, David Smith <dbsmith@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Related topic, recommendations for USB mixers? I'd prefer to have one --
                  > though with the Zoom H2, I can at least record multiple voices in the same
                  > physical area. Ideally, one not too much bigger than the Zoom, say, Trade
                  > Paperback sized, would be most convenient to carry around.
                  >
                  > I'd prefer to mix in music and such on-the-fly, rather than piecing
                  > everything together in Audacity later. I suspect this counts as on-topic
                  > for the thread, but I might be wrong here.
                  >
                  > It was 3 Mar 2008, when Mike commented:
                  >
                  > > He is probably better off with a USB mixer and some low-end mics. You
                  > can
                  > > control the mics separately and only bring in one mix.
                  > >
                  > > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Louis Antonucci <l_silvio@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > It might depends on the USB driver and the speed of the bus. Remember
                  > > > that only one USB device at a time works the system switches between
                  > > > between the
                  > > > devices. The question that I have what software/driver is being used
                  > > > mix
                  > > > the three usb mic inputs on the system. and is the software designed
                  > > > handle more than one USB input?

                  > > > -
                  > > >
                  > > > YahooGroups Podcasters Links

                  > > Mike Wills
                  > >
                  > > Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

                  > Grizzly's Growls
                  > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity
                  > Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                  > Blog: <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>

                • Jason Tucker
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                    The trial is functional until you wait too long and the pop up nag comes up
                    asking you to press OK.

                    On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Erk Pod <erkpod@...> wrote:

                    > Soundbyte looks great and I'm glad it isn't Mac only!
                    >
                    > I use a program called Ready DJ, when I remember to push the buttons!
                    > Sometimes I'll use it for my opening and closing tunes only. The trial
                    > version is useless (you can't save) and the registered version is $24.95
                    > US.
                    > It uses a similar hot key principle to Soundbyte but the layout mirrors
                    > that
                    > of the keyboard (1-0, A-Z). The only issue that I have is that the writing
                    > on the keys is VERY small and that the program uses the name of the file.
                    > So
                    > to get around that, I have a separate folder with a short name for each
                    > file
                    > in caps so I can see it. Soundbyte looks heaps better in that regard and
                    > their trial version actually appears functional. I'll give it a go myself!
                    >
                    > --
                    > Erk
                    > Sydney, Australia
                    >
                    > WEBSITES:
                    > Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au
                    >
                    > Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com
                    >
                    > FEEDS
                    > Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml
                    >
                    > Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml
                    >
                    > Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                    Jason Tucker

                    Host of the following podcasts:
                    http://www.TuckerTales.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/ysncf9
                    http://www.GeekFit.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/yj48uq
                    http://www.EverythingTech.tv itunes: http://tinyurl.com/ypx6db
                    http://www.BarNutsPodcast.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/yvvkqb

                  • Erk Pod
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                      I have had a play with it this morning. Jason is right, you'll get a pop up
                      message after a while urging you to buy the product. I went and purchased
                      the software.

                      I like it. You can colour code your carts, change the size of them and have
                      the cart as a green colour when it is being played and then flash red
                      towards the end of the file. I like that better than the program I was using
                      that I mentioned in an earlier post, Ready DJ.

                      Soundbyte FTW!

                      Erk
                      Erk Pod
                      http://www.erkpod.com.au

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 4, 2008
                        It defiantly looks like what I am looking for. I am going to try it this out
                        since Castblaster no longer is recording for me. I need to rebuild the PC,
                        but really don't want to.