Sound effects and music for live casts

  • Matthew K
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
      Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and sound effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could attach the files to, but it's not nessicary.

    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
        From: "Matthew K"

        > Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and sound
        > effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could
        > attach the files to, but it's not nessicary.

        Ok .. but "sound effects" is not a file format. What format would these
        "sound effects" be in?

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • Steve Riekeberg
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
          I believe you're looking for some sort of cart software.

          Steve Riekeberg
          Host, Geek Cred
          <http://www.geekcred.net>

          Richard Amirault wrote:

> [...]

        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Matthew K <matt_hew@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and sound
            > effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could attach
            > the files to, but it's not nessicary.

            I use a program called Soundbyte. Works great, has hotkeys. I use it with
            a Mac. Not sure if there's a Windows version.

            --
            -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
            Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

            Shawnogram - Content = life.
            http://www.shawnogram.com/

            Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
            http://www.phantompower.org/

          • Matthew K
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
              Sorry. Guess you need more info. I run Windows Vista and the sound effects could be in either mp3 or wav. I can convert if need be.

              Matt

              > Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and sound
              > effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could
              > attach the files to, but it's not nessicary.

              Ok .. but "sound effects" is not a file format. What format would these
              "sound effects" be in?

              Richard Amirault
              Boston, MA, USA
              http://n1jdu.org
              http://bostonfandom.org

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                Yes, Mac and PC. http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/soundbyte.html

                On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

                > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Matthew K <matt_hew@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and
                > sound
                > > effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could
                > attach
                > > the files to, but it's not nessicary.
                > >

                > I use a program called Soundbyte. Works great, has hotkeys. I use it
                > with
                > a Mac. Not sure if there's a Windows version.
                >
                > --
                > -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
                > Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California
                > http://www.hypernonsense.com/
                >
                > Shawnogram - Content = life.
                > http://www.shawnogram.com/
                >
                > Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
                > http://www.phantompower.org/

                Mike Wills

                Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

              • David Smith
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Related topic, recommendations for USB mixers? I'd prefer to have one --
                  though with the Zoom H2, I can at least record multiple voices in the same
                  physical area. Ideally, one not too much bigger than the Zoom, say, Trade
                  Paperback sized, would be most convenient to carry around.

                  I'd prefer to mix in music and such on-the-fly, rather than piecing
                  everything together in Audacity later. I suspect this counts as on-topic
                  for the thread, but I might be wrong here.

                  It was 3 Mar 2008, when Mike commented:

                  > He is probably better off with a USB mixer and some low-end mics. You can
                  > control the mics separately and only bring in one mix.
                  >
                  > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Louis Antonucci <l_silvio@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > It might depends on the USB driver and the speed of the bus. Remember
                  > > that only one USB device at a time works the system switches between
                  > > between the
                  > > devices. The question that I have what software/driver is being used to
                  > > mix
                  > > the three usb mic inputs on the system. and is the software designed to
                  > > handle more than one USB input?

                  > Mike Wills
                  >
                  > Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

                  Grizzly's Growls
                  Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                • Erk Pod
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Soundbyte looks great and I'm glad it isn't Mac only!

                    I use a program called Ready DJ, when I remember to push the buttons!
                    Sometimes I'll use it for my opening and closing tunes only. The trial
                    version is useless (you can't save) and the registered version is $24.95 US.
                    It uses a similar hot key principle to Soundbyte but the layout mirrors that
                    of the keyboard (1-0, A-Z). The only issue that I have is that the writing
                    on the keys is VERY small and that the program uses the name of the file. So
                    to get around that, I have a separate folder with a short name for each file
                    in caps so I can see it. Soundbyte looks heaps better in that regard and
                    their trial version actually appears functional. I'll give it a go myself!

                    --
                    Erk
                    Sydney, Australia

                    WEBSITES:
                    Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

                    Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

                    FEEDS
                    Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

                    Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

                    Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                  • Martin McKeay
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                      It depends on how much you want the mixer to do. On the lower, smaller end
                      is the M-Audio MobilePre USB which will handle 2 XLR or 1/4" inputs and pipe
                      them to your computer. It supplies phantom power if you need it, and for
                      traveling, it's great. It works with either Windows or Mac and provides
                      pretty decent sound. However, it doesn't have anything other than a level
                      setting, so you won't be able to boost your bass or treble on the MobilePre,
                      you'll have to do any of that post-production. Same with adding in the
                      music.

                      I have a Zoom H4 and while it's a good recorder, I've had trouble using it
                      several times. It's wanted me to reboot my laptop again and again until it
                      gets just the setup it wants. I've never been able to figure out why and
                      stopped using it with my laptop. I still use the H4 for extremely mobile
                      recording, but I don't do much of that in the first place. I used the
                      MobilePre to help me create a mix minus setup for Skype along with a Yamaha
                      MW-10 mixer, at least until I spilled coffee in the mixer. I'm looking to
                      replace the Yamaha with a Phonic Helix 12 firewire mixer and making the
                      MobilePre part of my regular luggage for mobile recording.

                      Martin

                      PS, the MobilePre USB meets with your size requirements, being only slightly
                      bigger in all dimensions than a paperback book.

                      Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
                      Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
                      and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
                      Email: martin@...
                      YIM: mmckeay@...
                      TwitterID: mckeay
                      (W) 707-495-7926

                      On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:40 PM, David Smith <dbsmith@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Related topic, recommendations for USB mixers? I'd prefer to have one --
                      > though with the Zoom H2, I can at least record multiple voices in the same
                      > physical area. Ideally, one not too much bigger than the Zoom, say, Trade
                      > Paperback sized, would be most convenient to carry around.
                      >
                      > I'd prefer to mix in music and such on-the-fly, rather than piecing
                      > everything together in Audacity later. I suspect this counts as on-topic
                      > for the thread, but I might be wrong here.
                      >
                      > It was 3 Mar 2008, when Mike commented:
                      >
                      > > He is probably better off with a USB mixer and some low-end mics. You
                      > can
                      > > control the mics separately and only bring in one mix.
                      > >
                      > > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Louis Antonucci <l_silvio@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > It might depends on the USB driver and the speed of the bus. Remember
                      > > > that only one USB device at a time works the system switches between
                      > > > between the
                      > > > devices. The question that I have what software/driver is being used
                      > > > mix
                      > > > the three usb mic inputs on the system. and is the software designed
                      > > > handle more than one USB input?

                      > > > -
                      > > >
                      > > > YahooGroups Podcasters Links

                      > > Mike Wills
                      > >
                      > > Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

                      > Grizzly's Growls
                      > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity
                      > Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                      > Blog: <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>

                    • Jason Tucker
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                        The trial is functional until you wait too long and the pop up nag comes up
                        asking you to press OK.

                        On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Erk Pod <erkpod@...> wrote:

                        > Soundbyte looks great and I'm glad it isn't Mac only!
                        >
                        > I use a program called Ready DJ, when I remember to push the buttons!
                        > Sometimes I'll use it for my opening and closing tunes only. The trial
                        > version is useless (you can't save) and the registered version is $24.95
                        > US.
                        > It uses a similar hot key principle to Soundbyte but the layout mirrors
                        > that
                        > of the keyboard (1-0, A-Z). The only issue that I have is that the writing
                        > on the keys is VERY small and that the program uses the name of the file.
                        > So
                        > to get around that, I have a separate folder with a short name for each
                        > file
                        > in caps so I can see it. Soundbyte looks heaps better in that regard and
                        > their trial version actually appears functional. I'll give it a go myself!
                        >
                        > --
                        > Erk
                        > Sydney, Australia
                        >
                        > WEBSITES:
                        > Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au
                        >
                        > Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com
                        >
                        > FEEDS
                        > Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml
                        >
                        > Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml
                        >
                        > Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                        Jason Tucker

                        Host of the following podcasts:
                        http://www.TuckerTales.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/ysncf9
                        http://www.GeekFit.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/yj48uq
                        http://www.EverythingTech.tv itunes: http://tinyurl.com/ypx6db
                        http://www.BarNutsPodcast.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/yvvkqb

                      • Erk Pod
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                          I have had a play with it this morning. Jason is right, you'll get a pop up
                          message after a while urging you to buy the product. I went and purchased
                          the software.

                          I like it. You can colour code your carts, change the size of them and have
                          the cart as a green colour when it is being played and then flash red
                          towards the end of the file. I like that better than the program I was using
                          that I mentioned in an earlier post, Ready DJ.

                          Soundbyte FTW!

                          Erk
                          Erk Pod
                          http://www.erkpod.com.au

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 4, 2008
                            It defiantly looks like what I am looking for. I am going to try it this out
                            since Castblaster no longer is recording for me. I need to rebuild the PC,
                            but really don't want to.