Help with recording my first show.

  • matthew_6_34
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2 8:02 PM
      Hello guys,

      I'm using a software called Podcast X Pro. When first looking at the I
      thought to was the best software out. Key word THOUGHT. Now I'm not
      sure if it's just me with problems or is it the software.
      I'm using 3 usb mics and a Live wire 4 plug stereo headphone amp. When
      recording w/ the software I can only get it to use one mic at a time.
      Also I can hear the conversation in the headphones. I never hear
      myself in the headphones. After recording I can hear the conversation
      playback in my headphones.
      If anyone has use this software before please let me know how to fix
      the problems I'm having. Or if anyone can tell me what is the best
      software I should be using.

      Thanks all.
    • Michael W. Dean
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3 12:27 AM
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "matthew_6_34" <matthew_6_34@...>
        wrote:

        >.....Or if anyone can tell me what is the best
        > software I should be using.

        Use Audacity. It's very good and it's free:
        http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

        Michael W. Dean
        "Clone The Homeless"
        Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
        was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
        http://www.clonethehomeless.com
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3 6:18 AM
          Wait a minute... 3 USB mics?!? Does that work?

          On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM, matthew_6_34 <matthew_6_34@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello guys,
          >
          > I'm using a software called Podcast X Pro. When first looking at the I
          > thought to was the best software out. Key word THOUGHT. Now I'm not
          > sure if it's just me with problems or is it the software.
          > I'm using 3 usb mics and a Live wire 4 plug stereo headphone amp. When
          > recording w/ the software I can only get it to use one mic at a time.
          > Also I can hear the conversation in the headphones. I never hear
          > myself in the headphones. After recording I can hear the conversation
          > playback in my headphones.
          > If anyone has use this software before please let me know how to fix
          > the problems I'm having. Or if anyone can tell me what is the best
          > software I should be using.
          >
          > Thanks all.

          Mike Wills

          Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

        • Martin McKeay
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3 6:31 AM
            I was wondering the same thing. I can see that multiple USB mics should
            work in theory, but trying to get them to all work in reality might be a bit
            problematic. The USB ports might 1) get the mics confused and 2) overload
            with the data and produce poor sound quality. That by itself might be the
            cause of your problems.

            A USB hub isn't going to help with this issue and might make it worse.

            Martin

            Martin McKeay, CISSP, GSNA
            Host of the Network Security Blog <http://www.mckeay.net>
            and the Network Security Podcast <http://netsecpodcast.com>
            Email: martin@...
            YIM: mmckeay@...
            TwitterID: mckeay
            (W) 707-495-7926

            On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 6:18 AM, Mike <koldark@...> wrote:

            > Wait a minute... 3 USB mics?!? Does that work?
            >
            > On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM, matthew_6_34 <matthew_6_34@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Hello guys,
            > >
            > > I'm using a software called Podcast X Pro. When first looking at the I
            > > thought to was the best software out. Key word THOUGHT. Now I'm not
            > > sure if it's just me with problems or is it the software.
            > > I'm using 3 usb mics and a Live wire 4 plug stereo headphone amp. When
            > > recording w/ the software I can only get it to use one mic at a time.
            > > Also I can hear the conversation in the headphones. I never hear
            > > myself in the headphones. After recording I can hear the conversation
            > > playback in my headphones.
            > > If anyone has use this software before please let me know how to fix
            > > the problems I'm having. Or if anyone can tell me what is the best
            > > software I should be using.
            > >
            > > Thanks all.

            > Mike Wills
            >
            > Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

          • Louis Antonucci
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3 6:43 AM
              It might depends on the USB driver and the speed of the bus. Remember that only one USB device at a time works the system switches between between the devices. The question that I have what software/driver is being used to mix the three usb mic inputs on the system. and is the software designed to handle more than one USB input?

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3 6:50 AM
                He is probably better off with a USB mixer and some low-end mics. You can
                control the mics separately and only bring in one mix.

                On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Louis Antonucci <l_silvio@...> wrote:

                > It might depends on the USB driver and the speed of the bus. Remember that
                > only one USB device at a time works the system switches between between the
                > devices. The question that I have what software/driver is being used to mix
                > the three usb mic inputs on the system. and is the software designed to
                > handle more than one USB input?

                Mike Wills

                Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

              • Tee Morris
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3 7:39 AM
                  On Mar 2, 2008, at 11:02 PM, matthew_6_34 wrote:

                  > Hello guys,
                  >
                  > I'm using a software called Podcast X Pro. When first looking at the I
                  > thought to was the best software out. Key word THOUGHT. Now I'm not
                  > sure if it's just me with problems or is it the software.

                  Hi there!

                  I did a search for Podcast X Pro and couldn't find it, so it's hard
                  for me to say if it is you or your software that is the stumbling
                  block. So, what is your system -- Mac, Windows, or Linux? I would
                  make the bold assumption that with "X" in the title, it might be Mac
                  but I'd rather not go on that.
                  > I'm using 3 usb mics and a Live wire 4 plug stereo headphone amp. When
                  > recording w/ the software I can only get it to use one mic at a time.

                  USB mics, based on my research, can only work one port at a time. I
                  discuss this in the upcoming "Podcasting for Dummies" podcast episode
                  (which should drop next week, I think) which features a USB-mic. USB
                  mics are great for solo podcasters and podcasting on the go, but USB
                  mics don't do what you think they can do. Once that mic is plugged in
                  you choose either that mic or another. USB hubs do not support
                  multitrack recording, which is what it sounds like you want to do.

                  > Also I can hear the conversation in the headphones. I never hear
                  > myself in the headphones. After recording I can hear the conversation
                  > playback in my headphones.

                  Again that sounds like you're hearing everyone else, but not
                  yourself. It could be the preferences in your software and you have
                  the monitoring disabled for that particular track. As I can't find
                  information on the software, I can't be sure.
                  > If anyone has use this software before please let me know how to fix
                  > the problems I'm having. Or if anyone can tell me what is the best
                  > software I should be using.

                  It sounds more like a combination of hardware and software. To do
                  what you want to do, you need a mixer and three good XLR
                  microphones. My advice would be to invest in the Alesis MultiMix8
                  FireWire (I've had issues with Alesis' USB) and if you pick up the
                  Multimix-8 Package form USB (that comes with a mic) you can start
                  shopping for inexpensive XLR microphones. I'd recommend the Marshall
                  MXL 990s but there are probably others out there people on this list
                  can recommend.

                  Hope this helps. Good luck.

                  Enjoy the Ride,

                  Tee Morris
                  co-author, EXPERT PODCASTING PRACTICES FOR DUMMIES
                  ----------------------------

                  MOREVI: Remastered
                  Join Rafe & Askana again...for the very first time.
                  http://www.morevi.net

                  -~-~-~-~-~-~-~

                  The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
                  A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
                  FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST

                  Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog
                • Matthew K
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3 10:12 AM
                    Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and sound effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could attach the files to, but it's not nessicary.

                  • Richard Amirault
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3 10:39 AM
                      From: "Matthew K"

                      > Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and sound
                      > effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could
                      > attach the files to, but it's not nessicary.

                      Ok .. but "sound effects" is not a file format. What format would these
                      "sound effects" be in?

                      Richard Amirault
                      Boston, MA, USA
                      http://n1jdu.org
                      http://bostonfandom.org
                    • Steve Riekeberg
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3 10:41 AM
                        I believe you're looking for some sort of cart software.

                        Steve Riekeberg
                        Host, Geek Cred
                        <http://www.geekcred.net>

                        Richard Amirault wrote:

> [...]

                      • Shawn Thorpe
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 3 11:22 AM
                          On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Matthew K <matt_hew@...> wrote:

                          > Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and sound
                          > effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could attach
                          > the files to, but it's not nessicary.

                          I use a program called Soundbyte. Works great, has hotkeys. I use it with
                          a Mac. Not sure if there's a Windows version.

                          --
                          -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
                          Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

                          Shawnogram - Content = life.
                          http://www.shawnogram.com/

                          Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
                          http://www.phantompower.org/

                        • Matthew K
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 3 11:42 AM
                            Sorry. Guess you need more info. I run Windows Vista and the sound effects could be in either mp3 or wav. I can convert if need be.

                            Matt

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 3 1:33 PM
                              Yes, Mac and PC. http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/soundbyte.html

                              On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

                              > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Matthew K <matt_hew@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > > Does anyone know of a free program that will easily play mp3s and
                              > sound
                              > > effects? It would be cool if it had hotkeys or something that I could
                              > attach
                              > > the files to, but it's not nessicary.
                              > >

                              > I use a program called Soundbyte. Works great, has hotkeys. I use it
                              > with
                              > a Mac. Not sure if there's a Windows version.
                              >
                              > --
                              > -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
                              > Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California
                              > http://www.hypernonsense.com/
                              >
                              > Shawnogram - Content = life.
                              > http://www.shawnogram.com/
                              >
                              > Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
                              > http://www.phantompower.org/

                              Mike Wills

                              Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

                            • David Smith
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 3 3:40 PM
                                Related topic, recommendations for USB mixers? I'd prefer to have one --
                                though with the Zoom H2, I can at least record multiple voices in the same
                                physical area. Ideally, one not too much bigger than the Zoom, say, Trade
                                Paperback sized, would be most convenient to carry around.

                                I'd prefer to mix in music and such on-the-fly, rather than piecing
                                everything together in Audacity later. I suspect this counts as on-topic
                                for the thread, but I might be wrong here.

                                It was 3 Mar 2008, when Mike commented:

                                > He is probably better off with a USB mixer and some low-end mics. You can
                                > control the mics separately and only bring in one mix.
                                >
                                > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Louis Antonucci <l_silvio@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > It might depends on the USB driver and the speed of the bus. Remember
                                > > that only one USB device at a time works the system switches between
                                > > between the
                                > > devices. The question that I have what software/driver is being used to
                                > > mix
                                > > the three usb mic inputs on the system. and is the software designed to
                                > > handle more than one USB input?

                                > Mike Wills
                                >
                                > Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

                                Grizzly's Growls
                                Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                              • Erk Pod
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 3 3:43 PM
                                  Soundbyte looks great and I'm glad it isn't Mac only!

                                  I use a program called Ready DJ, when I remember to push the buttons!
                                  Sometimes I'll use it for my opening and closing tunes only. The trial
                                  version is useless (you can't save) and the registered version is $24.95 US.
                                  It uses a similar hot key principle to Soundbyte but the layout mirrors that
                                  of the keyboard (1-0, A-Z). The only issue that I have is that the writing
                                  on the keys is VERY small and that the program uses the name of the file. So
                                  to get around that, I have a separate folder with a short name for each file
                                  in caps so I can see it. Soundbyte looks heaps better in that regard and
                                  their trial version actually appears functional. I'll give it a go myself!

                                  --
                                  Erk
                                  Sydney, Australia

                                  WEBSITES:
                                  Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au

                                  Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com

                                  FEEDS
                                  Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml

                                  Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml

                                  Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                                • Martin McKeay
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 3 3:48 PM
                                    It depends on how much you want the mixer to do. On the lower, smaller end
                                    is the M-Audio MobilePre USB which will handle 2 XLR or 1/4" inputs and pipe
                                    them to your computer. It supplies phantom power if you need it, and for
                                    traveling, it's great. It works with either Windows or Mac and provides
                                    pretty decent sound. However, it doesn't have anything other than a level
                                    setting, so you won't be able to boost your bass or treble on the MobilePre,
                                    you'll have to do any of that post-production. Same with adding in the
                                    music.

                                    I have a Zoom H4 and while it's a good recorder, I've had trouble using it
                                    several times. It's wanted me to reboot my laptop again and again until it
                                    gets just the setup it wants. I've never been able to figure out why and
                                    stopped using it with my laptop. I still use the H4 for extremely mobile
                                    recording, but I don't do much of that in the first place. I used the
                                    MobilePre to help me create a mix minus setup for Skype along with a Yamaha
                                    MW-10 mixer, at least until I spilled coffee in the mixer. I'm looking to
                                    replace the Yamaha with a Phonic Helix 12 firewire mixer and making the
                                    MobilePre part of my regular luggage for mobile recording.

                                    Martin

                                    PS, the MobilePre USB meets with your size requirements, being only slightly
                                    bigger in all dimensions than a paperback book.

                                    On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:40 PM, David Smith <dbsmith@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Related topic, recommendations for USB mixers? I'd prefer to have one --
                                    > though with the Zoom H2, I can at least record multiple voices in the same
                                    > physical area. Ideally, one not too much bigger than the Zoom, say, Trade
                                    > Paperback sized, would be most convenient to carry around.
                                    >
                                    > I'd prefer to mix in music and such on-the-fly, rather than piecing
                                    > everything together in Audacity later. I suspect this counts as on-topic
                                    > for the thread, but I might be wrong here.
                                    >
                                    > It was 3 Mar 2008, when Mike commented:
                                    >
                                    > > He is probably better off with a USB mixer and some low-end mics. You
                                    > can
                                    > > control the mics separately and only bring in one mix.
                                    > >
                                    > > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Louis Antonucci <l_silvio@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > It might depends on the USB driver and the speed of the bus. Remember
                                    > > > that only one USB device at a time works the system switches between
                                    > > > between the
                                    > > > devices. The question that I have what software/driver is being used
                                    > > > mix
                                    > > > the three usb mic inputs on the system. and is the software designed
                                    > > > handle more than one USB input?

                                    > > > -
                                    > > >
                                    > > > YahooGroups Podcasters Links

                                    > > Mike Wills
                                    > >
                                    > > Check out my music show at http://thenextgenerationofradio.com

                                    > Grizzly's Growls
                                    > The Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity
                                    > Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                                    > Blog: <http://grizzlysgrowls.blogspot.com>

                                  • Jason Tucker
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 3 4:17 PM
                                      The trial is functional until you wait too long and the pop up nag comes up
                                      asking you to press OK.

                                      On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Erk Pod <erkpod@...> wrote:

                                      > Soundbyte looks great and I'm glad it isn't Mac only!
                                      >
                                      > I use a program called Ready DJ, when I remember to push the buttons!
                                      > Sometimes I'll use it for my opening and closing tunes only. The trial
                                      > version is useless (you can't save) and the registered version is $24.95
                                      > US.
                                      > It uses a similar hot key principle to Soundbyte but the layout mirrors
                                      > that
                                      > of the keyboard (1-0, A-Z). The only issue that I have is that the writing
                                      > on the keys is VERY small and that the program uses the name of the file.
                                      > So
                                      > to get around that, I have a separate folder with a short name for each
                                      > file
                                      > in caps so I can see it. Soundbyte looks heaps better in that regard and
                                      > their trial version actually appears functional. I'll give it a go myself!
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Erk
                                      > Sydney, Australia
                                      >
                                      > WEBSITES:
                                      > Erk Pod & Erk Pod Mini: http://www.erkpod.com.au
                                      >
                                      > Erk to the Diary Room: http://www.erktothediaryroom.com
                                      >
                                      > FEEDS
                                      > Erk Pod: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodding.xml
                                      >
                                      > Erk Pod Mini: http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erkpodmini.xml
                                      >
                                      > Erk to the Diary Room http://www.podshow.com/feeds/erktothediaryroom.xml

                                      Jason Tucker

                                      Host of the following podcasts:
                                      http://www.TuckerTales.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/ysncf9
                                      http://www.GeekFit.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/yj48uq
                                      http://www.EverythingTech.tv itunes: http://tinyurl.com/ypx6db
                                      http://www.BarNutsPodcast.com itunes: http://tinyurl.com/yvvkqb

                                    • Erk Pod
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 3 7:37 PM
                                        I have had a play with it this morning. Jason is right, you'll get a pop up
                                        message after a while urging you to buy the product. I went and purchased
                                        the software.

                                        I like it. You can colour code your carts, change the size of them and have
                                        the cart as a green colour when it is being played and then flash red
                                        towards the end of the file. I like that better than the program I was using
                                        that I mentioned in an earlier post, Ready DJ.

                                        Soundbyte FTW!

                                        Erk
                                        Erk Pod
                                        http://www.erkpod.com.au

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 4 6:15 AM
                                          It defiantly looks like what I am looking for. I am going to try it this out
                                          since Castblaster no longer is recording for me. I need to rebuild the PC,
                                          but really don't want to.