Zoom H-2 card

  • Shantel Hansen
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 17, 2008
      Hey all-

      I am doing WAV recording on my H2 and need to know the largest SD card that
      will work in my H2. I'm confused about card types and limitations
      specifically SD card speeds.

      Does anyone have an recommendations for 4GB+ that work well with the H2?

      Cheers
      -shantel

    • Rich
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 17, 2008
        On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 21:03 -0500, Shantel Hansen wrote:

        I have a 2-gig card in my H4, and am always doing recordings at 16
        bit/44.1, and have yet to come CLOSE to even using all 2-gigs.

        I see people talking about the 4 gig cards up here fairly frequently,
        and I'm just wondering what it is you're all recording?

        I can record well over 3 hours at CD quality with the 2-gig.

        Best,
        Rich...

        > Hey all-
        >
        > I am doing WAV recording on my H2 and need to know the largest SD card
        > that
        > will work in my H2. I'm confused about card types and limitations
        > specifically SD card speeds.
        >
        > Does anyone have an recommendations for 4GB+ that work well with the
        > H2?
        >
        > Cheers
        > -shantel

      • Steven R. Boyett
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 17, 2008
          2 GB wav at 16/44.1 should be close to three hours of recording time,
          figuring approx. 650 MB per hour.

          Steve Boyett
          <http://www.djsteveboy.com/> www.djsteveboy.com
          On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 21:03 -0500, Shantel Hansen wrote:

          I have a 2-gig card in my H4, and am always doing recordings at 16
          bit/44.1, and have yet to come CLOSE to even using all 2-gigs.

          I see people talking about the 4 gig cards up here fairly frequently,
          and I'm just wondering what it is you're all recording?

          I can record well over 3 hours at CD quality with the 2-gig.

          Best,
          Rich...

          > Hey all-
          >
          > I am doing WAV recording on my H2 and need to know the largest SD card
          > that
          > will work in my H2. I'm confused about card types and limitations
          > specifically SD card speeds.
          >
          > Does anyone have an recommendations for 4GB+ that work well with the
          > H2?
          >
          > Cheers
          > -shantel

        • Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 17, 2008
            The largest "official" card I know that works is a 4GB SDHC (the new
            high capacity version of SD). However I just put an 8GB SDHC card in and
            it seems to work just fine.

            I normally use a 2GB SD card, since I didn't have a SDHC reader till
            last week.

            On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 9:03 pm, Shantel Hansen wrote:
            > Hey all-
            >
            > I am doing WAV recording on my H2 and need to know the largest SD card
            > that
            > will work in my H2. I'm confused about card types and limitations
            > specifically SD card speeds.
            >
            > Does anyone have an recommendations for 4GB+ that work well with the
            > H2?
            >
            > Cheers
            > -shantel

            Brian Richardson
            - http://whatthecast.com
            - http://siliconchef.com
            - http://dragoncontv.com
            - http://www.3chip.com
          • Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 17, 2008
              On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 9:16 pm, Rich wrote:
              > I see people talking about the 4 gig cards up here fairly frequently,
              > and I'm just wondering what it is you're all recording?

              Broadcast WAV for a 4-track surround recording can eat flash space
              quickly. The SDHC cards come in handy for those applications, like using
              the H2 in tandem with a video camera to get a 5.1 surround mix.
              --
              Brian Richardson
              - http://whatthecast.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 17, 2008
                On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 18:24 -0800, Steven R. Boyett wrote:

                I think I said that. :-)

                OK, I said over 3 hours, but it's close enough for rock-n-roll. :-)

                Rich...

                > 2 GB wav at 16/44.1 should be close to three hours of recording time,
                > figuring approx. 650 MB per hour.
                >
                > Steve Boyett
                > <http://www.djsteveboy.com/> www.djsteveboy.com

              • Steven R. Boyett
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 17, 2008
                  I apologize for corroborating you with more specificity.

                  --sreve boyett

                  _____

                  I think I said that. :-)

                  OK, I said over 3 hours, but it's close enough for rock-n-roll. :-)

                  Rich...

                  > 2 GB wav at 16/44.1 should be close to three hours of recording time,
                  > figuring approx. 650 MB per hour.
                  >
                  > Steve Boyett
                  > <http://www.djsteveb <http://www.djsteveboy.com/> oy.com/>
                  www.djsteveboy.com

                • Shantel Hansen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 17, 2008
                    Yes, this is setting I'm using and exactly why I need a larger card. What I
                    don't know is how much the card speed matters? For instances, class 6 vs.
                    class 4. I'm seeing quite a difference in prices and want to know if the
                    class/speed matters?

                    Any brand/model recommendations are also much appreciated.

                    cheers!
                    Shantel

                    On Feb 17, 2008 9:44 PM, Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast? <
                    wtc@...> wrote:

                    > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 9:16 pm, Rich wrote:
                    > > I see people talking about the 4 gig cards up here fairly frequently,
                    > > and I'm just wondering what it is you're all recording?
                    >
                    > Broadcast WAV for a 4-track surround recording can eat flash space
                    > quickly. The SDHC cards come in handy for those applications, like using
                    > the H2 in tandem with a video camera to get a 5.1 surround mix.
                    > --
                    > Brian Richardson
                    > - http://whatthecast.com
                    > - http://siliconchef.com
                    > - http://dragoncontv.com
                    > - http://www.3chip.com

                  • Rich
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 17, 2008
                      On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 21:44 -0500, Brian Richardson - WhatTheCast?
                      wrote:

                      I understand, but I'm curious to hear it from the people who are
                      actually wanting the 4-gig cards.

                      Rich...

                      > > I see people talking about the 4 gig cards up here fairly
                      > frequently,
                      > > and I'm just wondering what it is you're all recording?
                      >
                      > Broadcast WAV for a 4-track surround recording can eat flash space
                      > quickly. The SDHC cards come in handy for those applications, like
                      > using
                      > the H2 in tandem with a video camera to get a 5.1 surround mix.
                      > --
                      > Brian Richardson
                      > - http://whatthecast.com
                      > - http://siliconchef.com
                      > - http://dragoncontv.com
                      > - http://www.3chip.com

                    • Michael W. Dean
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 17, 2008
                        I'm using a Kingston 4gb SD HC card in my H2.
                        Isn't on the official list, but works great.

                        I've never filled it (I'm recording 16-bit 44.1 stereo WAV, usually
                        dump audio that day, edit, encode to MP3 and upload, but it's nice to
                        know there's that much room, in case I ever need it. Uses most of it
                        at the pod expo, but never filled it.

                        MWD
                        "Clone The Homeless"
                        Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
                        was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
                        http://www.clonethehomeless.com
                      • David Smith
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 18, 2008
                          It was 17 Feb 2008, when Shantel Hansen commented:

                          > Hey all-
                          >
                          > I am doing WAV recording on my H2 and need to know the largest SD card that
                          > will work in my H2. I'm confused about card types and limitations
                          > specifically SD card speeds.
                          >
                          > Does anyone have an recommendations for 4GB+ that work well with the H2?

                          The largest I know (?) will work with the H2 is a 4GB SC-HC card. That
                          said, I don't really know it'll work, since (a) my card reader won't read
                          an HC card, and (b) the USB connection to the H2 is not supported under
                          Win98SE. It appeared to record, and played back on the H2 itself, but to
                          what extent it worked I really couldn't tell ya.

                          I can't recommend the particular 4 Gig card that came with my H2 (from
                          eBay), because I have know idea if it actually worked for recording, and
                          effectively it didn't work for my purposes, putting the recorded WAV file
                          into Audacity on my existing hardware.

                          --
                          Grizzly's Growls
                          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 18, 2008
                            I don't actually -need- to record 138 hours on my 4 Gig card. I just want
                            to use it because it's The Biggest and I paid for it. ;-)

                            It was 17 Feb 2008, when Rich commented:

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 18, 2008
                              Oooh-ooh-ooh, 8 Gig! I gotta get me one a those! No practical reason,
                              but that never stopped me before! That'd be what, 276 hours at low-
                              density MP3? Awesome!

                              Seriously, though, there -is- a practical reason I've already discovered
                              to use a larger card. A while back I recorded a show on the H2, edited
                              it, compiled it to an MP3 and uploaded it, then decided since it was
                              already uploaded, I didn't need to save the original MP3 or the Audacity
                              files on my aging laptop, with a relatively teensy HD. Well, sure enough,
                              the tail end of the file got "eaten" somewhere in the process. And since
                              I didn't have the source files, I couldn't reconstruct the show.

                              Since the 4 Gig or 8 Gig cards are so very large, it wouldn't be
                              impractical to retain the source WAV files on the card as backups. Say,
                              rotate through the 10 Folders, and when I get back to FOLDER01, delete
                              those files and start over -- so I'd always have 10 episodes worth of
                              sources from which to rebuild as needed.

                              It was 17 Feb 2008, when Brian Richardson - WhatTheCas commented:

                              --
                              Grizzly's Growls
                              Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                            • Richard Amirault
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 18, 2008
                                From: "Shantel Hansen"

                                > Yes, this is setting I'm using and exactly why I need a larger card. What
                                > don't know is how much the card speed matters? For instances, class 6 vs.
                                > class 4. I'm seeing quite a difference in prices and want to know if the
                                > class/speed matters?

                                I'm no expert .. but .. as far as I understand it, no, it does not matter.
                                Writing audio files is not the same as, say, writing photo files .. in that
                                writing audio files takes place at a constant rate ( "real time" ) .. when
                                you take photos you want to save the file as quickly as possible so that you
                                can take the next picture. That is where faster save speeds come into play.

                                Richard Amirault
                                Boston, MA, USA
                                http://n1jdu.org
                                http://bostonfandom.org